RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Official "The Look" Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 06:22 PM

Cool Official "The Look" Thread

Greetings RetouchPRO!

I am creating this thread on behalf of all of you out there seeking to take a look at and critique, debate, or learn more about "The Look" that is well-known around the globe in photography. "The Look" is simply re-named from the most looked at Dave Hill Photography, Jill Greenberg and more. In this thread I would like all of you amateurs, professionals, and newbies to post new work that you have done using your knowledge of Lighting techniques and Photoshop post-processing. Details are important in your image, and this thread is intended to learn more about how to make your image look like a masterpiece after using basic and professional ways of Lighting, Dodge and Burning, Sharpening, Noise, Textures, Composites, and much more. If you are one of those people who are tired of this look, then this thread isn't for you. Photography is growing at a very rapid pace, and this isn't your ordinary snapshot era. Please post only if you are wanting to learn or help others with "The Look". A great example of someone who has dedicated his time to showing others how to do great photographic work is Calvin Hollywood, and with that we should all be thankful.

I will start with one of my images

http://www.fadewoodarts.com/ScottRX600.jpg

Lighting Setup:
3 Travelite 750's
Nikon D70s on Tripod
Sigma 20mm Super WideAngle

Composite Image with 2 Exposures

Last edited by Fadewoodarts; 06-28-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2009, 02:24 AM

Re: Official "The Look" Thread

Hi Fadewoodarts,

Great job on Scott and bike. Can you tell us, what was your PS-process when creating that?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2009, 02:56 AM

Picture with Scott on the Bike:

RAW Processing always comes first..
2nd: Clean up the image
3rd: Sharpen and Enhance details
4th: Dodge & Burn
5th: Little enhancement tweaks, finalize the image, look for dents.. ( I like to call problems or little things that stick out that don't need to be there "dents")

I got a pretty basic work flow like most of us do.
To get the image how you want it, it all starts with planning and integration of how its all going to be done, with lighting, subject matter, and props... backgrounds... etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2009, 03:48 AM

Hi Again,

If it is all possible, it would be great if you could describe your workflow with details.
Raw processing - what settings do you tweak there, fill light to get details. Just one raw conversion or 2, something else...?
Clean up the image - Noise reduction/something else?
Sharpen details - Plugin /(Lucisart), USM?.... How much? Whole picture/some parts?
D & B - how much, which technic, which parts?
Little enhancements tweaks - like?

It would be great if you could/had the time to post screenshots of each part, showing what and how are doing this.
Before and After and how to get there, with this Scott's picture.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lallu2004 View Post
Hi Again,

If it is all possible, it would be great if you could describe your workflow with details.
Raw processing - what settings do you tweak there, fill light to get details. Just one raw conversion or 2, something else...?
Clean up the image - Noise reduction/something else?
Sharpen details - Plugin /(Lucisart), USM?.... How much? Whole picture/some parts?
D & B - how much, which technic, which parts?
Little enhancements tweaks - like?

It would be great if you could/had the time to post screenshots of each part, showing what and how are doing this.
Before and After and how to get there, with this Scott's picture.

Thanks.
&lallu2004

I do what is called Raw Smart Object editing, you can do it in both CS3 and CS4 I believe, you open your raw image in bridge or ps, and you open object. This way you can duplicate your raw layer into a smart object to where you can edit both raw layers to different settings then merge when your finished. Now with how I do my photography, I rarely have to tweak any major settings such as exposure, so I usually just enhance details easily with a little clarity and contrast adjustments. After you tweak in raw I then turn that top raw layer into a mask and paint in my detail enhancement to where I need it. I'll post some screen shots soon.

Cleaning up the image is easy, I look for dust spots from camera, I check the skin to make sure nothings wrong with skin such as blemishes or wrinkles. I do some noise reduction if I have to after I do skin treatments. As for sharpening, I just do Filter - Sharpen - Unsharp Mask. This is my favorite as it is for quite a few people in these forums, and I only use a little bit of it at a time so i don't destroy the image quality. I only work with 6.3MEGApixels lol so I gotta be careful when I edit my images because the quality deteriorates fast. I have Lucisart, but I rarely use it on my talents, if I do use Lucis its for enhancing little details in the background or objects. I like using Nik Color Efex Pro for some detail editing such as Tonal Contrast (which is what Calvin Hollywood mentioned in his Webinar on Sunday evening.) Ive used that for some years now, and is a fun plugin to use. Although I did not use it this time on my Scott RX600 image above.

Dodge and Burning is simple, I just do a 50% grey overlay layer and paint in with white enhancing highlights, and paint in with black for darkening shadows but not too much or you can easily destroy your image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2009, 07:28 PM

just a question, do u use vignette? your before & after would be really nice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00dle View Post
just a question, do u use vignette? your before & after would be really nice.
Yes I do Vignettes usually just to bring out the talent.
Before:
http://www.fadewoodarts.com/beforescott600.jpg

After:
http://www.fadewoodarts.com/afterscott600.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2009, 12:52 PM

hello!

nice thread, I'd like to participate here )
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/213/ppc.jpg

this is my work, but smthng is wrong...what should I fix?
and if u want, I'll describe workflow..
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloPiccadilly View Post
hello!

nice thread, I'd like to participate here )
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/213/ppc.jpg

this is my work, but smthng is wrong...what should I fix?
and if u want, I'll describe workflow..
HelloPicca

Nice shot man, very cool concept!

Did you shoot your subjects separately? IMO I believe you need to tone down the noise reduction, you got something sweet going here, right now it just looks pretty blurry in some areas due to the noise reduction. What are you shooting with, and what did you use for lighting?

Anyways I still like it alot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2009, 01:30 PM

it was d80 with tamron 11-18 (cheap lense)

I really can't get sharp image from this camera and lense...I used noise reduction only for sky..((

yeah, I did shoot separately..but it's quite possible to shot at once.
I took with me 3 source of light (600 Joule each). But, only 1 worked...because of fail synchronization by light..(I have to fix it). So, I didn't get what I wanted...

Anyway, I'll try to fix some patchs of sunlight..too much I guess..
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching