RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

I share my photoshop techniques

Old 11-30-2009, 09:43 AM

Re: I share my photoshop techniques

Hi Calvin

Although your webinars are really informative and for that reason I am very grateful, I think it would be fair to say that the real 'Calvinized' look is in the final 2080 layer.

What I, and am sure others would be extremely interested in is to see a break down of the edits carried out in this final layer. i appreciate that you sometimes carry out these final edits over a very long period, but if you edit non-destructively as you do, it would be very easy for you to talk us througfh these final adjustment layers.

I'd be interested to hear if you would be prepared to do this?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longside1 View Post
Hi Calvin

Although your webinars are really informative and for that reason I am very grateful, I think it would be fair to say that the real 'Calvinized' look is in the final 2080 layer.

What I, and am sure others would be extremely interested in is to see a break down of the edits carried out in this final layer. i appreciate that you sometimes carry out these final edits over a very long period, but if you edit non-destructively as you do, it would be very easy for you to talk us througfh these final adjustment layers.

I'd be interested to hear if you would be prepared to do this?

Exactly my thoughts. His "look" is a little tonal contrast or lucis on a seperate layer.
No big deal and has been know for a long time.
His 2x Raw conversion was a good little trick before he discovered the plug ins.
Nothing against Calvin as he seems to be a nice guy but a lot of this is self promotion to sell DVD's etc...

As he does not charge for his seminars you really cannot say anything bad as he is being helpful to others, but yes the "look" is nothing more than a tonal contrast enhancer of which there are many out there the you just back it off the % you like.
Nothing really new. Kind of like the Dave Hill thread, already old news and been done. Calvin always has said he does not copy anybody that it is his "look", but that is BS, as he was always posting in the Dave Hill threads trying to help people copy it and then went off starting a thread, when he discovered the contrast plug ins, about the "look" which we all know is the "Dave Hill wannabe" "look"...:+}.
A lot of top retouchers do it with luminosity masking which is more powerful and controllable than pressing a buttton, but when you have deadlines we all tend to like the button pushing routine if it saves time...

If you have not seen one of Calvins Tutorials they are a great start but the "look" is quite overdone these days.

Snook

Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2009, 05:14 PM

Hi Snook,

Just to be clear, I didn't say anything bad about Calvin's seminars. As stated, i think the webinars are very informative and for that i am thankful for all the assistance Calvin provides.

I also believe that the 2080 layer goes way further than a quick hit of Lucis or other Tonal Contrast plugins. However, the only person who knows what is done in this final layer is Calvin and that is why I have asked him if he is prepared to explain further.

To understand the techniques used in this last layer, or simply seeing how Calvin uses methods he has already explained to acheive the 2080 look would be very beneficial for us trying to develop our own style.

Regardless, I will certainly be watching his next webinar as they are great, 2080 or not.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2009, 05:19 PM

I thought the 2080 layer was the lucis/tonal layer and or with the Softlight blend mode hue satruation all in one grouped layer?
Been a while since I read or saw any of Calvin's stuff.
And Yes I do agree they are informative but repetive at the same time.
I applaud Calvin for being so generous and willing to take his time to teach people..
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2009, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305 View Post
I thought the 2080 layer was the lucis/tonal layer and or with the Softlight blend mode hue satruation all in one grouped layer?
Been a while since I read or saw any of Calvin's stuff.
And Yes I do agree they are informative but repetive at the same time.
I applaud Calvin for being so generous and willing to take his time to teach people..
Snook
No worries Snook, I remember having a good look at the 2080 layer and to be honest i think its mainly dodge and burn gradually built up with some other stuff thrown in.

Even if it is just D & B, I think a lot of people, including myself would really benefit in seeing how it is done as it is these last steps that really give the professional look everybody aspires to.

We'll just have to wait and see what Calvin's response is! ;-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2009, 02:16 AM

Hey Calvin, I put my name in the "gast" section, but as I am new to this , do not know what to do next ?!? Should I just login at the same page at the time of the show, or ...... ?!? Looking forward to it Thanks, Ljupco
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2009, 06:15 PM

Berlin time or Frankfurt time. There seems to be a one hour difference and I hope not to miss the show. Let us know the specifics.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2009, 06:16 PM

In germany we have everywhere the same time.

lg Calvin
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2009, 10:13 PM

That's what I thought but that link that shows the time difference has Berlin and Frankfurt at one hour apart. Anyway, I'll just log in early so I don't miss it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2009, 03:08 AM

Thats crazy
Ok, this post was done on 10.08 am
Guess you can see now the time diffrence

lg Calvin
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching