RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

I share my photoshop techniques

Old 02-05-2010, 08:01 AM

Re: I share my photoshop techniques

Quote:
Originally Posted by punctum View Post
@Calvinhollywood
sry but I have to say I m very disappointed when I saw your "extracting from green screen" training. The technique you use is also in my opinion the most common and the best way, I use it also for many years. But the picture you choose in your training is very very easy. A soldier with a helmet and a less saturated opposite color from the background. I would prefer to see how you handle with light color model while her hairs blowig in wind. Maybe also with a blowing veil.
Actually I tried it many times, as my profession is bridal photography, I take many pictures like that. But its not so perfect to do that when you choose green or blue background because the reflections on a blond or red hair is not so easy to loose with de-saturation, you ll also lose the color from the hair. That why, when I ll change the background behind the model I try to use a closer color at the background to the image that I ll put back. And it takes a lot of time to make it perfect. If you have any other suggestions I ll be very glad to know them.
Punctum, could you write more stuff about the DVD?

He also have a technique that uses a gray background explained in his youtube chanel. Just youtube his name to get there. That may help you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2010, 08:06 AM

@Punctum
I show on this training all the techniques what i use.
Grey background, white background and green background.
I also explain techniques when you have to work with channels.

If i have to explain all the variations of extrcting i have to do a own dvd.
My friend did one for the german market and it runns more then 8 hours.

My training is for people who are interestet in my work and how i work.
Its not a training for extracting hairs, beauty retouching basics or something else.

If you know (before you take the picture) that you would change the background its easy.
Choose grey, green or white (depetns on the hair color).
But if you place your light right you can work easy with green (doesent matter what haircolor- ok no green hairs*g*)

lg Calvin
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinhollywood View Post
@Punctum
I show on this training all the techniques what i use.
Grey background, white background and green background.
I also explain techniques when you have to work with channels.

If i have to explain all the variations of extrcting i have to do a own dvd.
My friend did one for the german market and it runns more then 8 hours.

My training is for people who are interestet in my work and how i work.
Its not a training for extracting hairs, beauty retouching basics or something else.

If you know (before you take the picture) that you would change the background its easy.
Choose grey, green or white (depetns on the hair color).
But if you place your light right you can work easy with green (doesent matter what haircolor- ok no green hairs*g*)

lg Calvin
Calvin, who's your friend? I would like to buy his DVD too. I'm willing to spend all my money in tutorials! (when getting it, in few days, haha).
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2010, 08:16 AM

http://www.video2brain.com/de/products-483.htm

But in german language

lg Calvin
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
Punctum, could you write more stuff about the DVD?
He also have a technique that uses a gray background explained in his youtube chanel. Just youtube his name to get there. That may help you.
Ok maybe it is also in the training videos just couldn't find enough time watch all. I ll check the youtube videos also.
About the training videos, I can say (imo) it worths the many, he have a very clean and always returnable working style. I started to work on photoshop at 1994 and I remember there wasn't any history only 1 undo. As I sad before since 4-5 years I m more behind the camera then front of the computer and because the busy work cant find enough time to improve my retouch skills that why some of my working style is now little old fashioned and slow. And this training videos looks up to date. Such I wasnt so familiar with smart objects and smart filters before I watch the training. It is better I share my opinions after I watch all trainings. But for beginning I can say just to the publisher thx to share his experience.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2010, 11:12 AM

I will jump in and add my own thoughts on shooting for composites here since it has came up.

Keep in mind that green and blue screen were both developed for video. Ok, now read that last sentence again. Video, that is what green/blue screen is intended to address.

Motion pictures fly by at 24 frames a second. That means that for every minute of footage to be used as a composite, there are 1440 images that need to be keyed. To be viable, there had to be a way to do this stuff in a "quick and dirty" environment. Welcome to our green and blue screens.

The choice for these two colors came from the fact that they are furthest from the skin tones, pure shadows, and pure highlights that will appear in most all th e footage produced leaving only the set crew, wardrobe, and makeup to work around the color limitations in their designs. Essentially, the whole process was put into a streamlined, standard operating procedure so to be user friendly to the film industry as a whole.

Now lets switch to still photography world. We don't have 100's of thousands of frames to edit. We have one. Maybe a few if we were trigger happy and can't decide between the shots. This allows us to be much more picky and plan our shoots with much more control. As Calvin mentioned, black, white, gray, green, blue, canary yellow, violet, and so on will all work exceptionally for creating composites SO LONG AS you plan your shot ahead of time and take care to be sure the background color will not appear in your foreground.

The morale of the story is the photographer can and needs to plan each image to the absolute best of their ability. That goes beyond shutter speed, aperture, and iso to include lighting, set, wardrobe, makeup and anything else that should possibly affect the image.

As always, if you are not doing this now, it seems as if it would be a ton of extra work to add in on top of what you are already doing, however, force yourself to work at these areas and before long, it will become another part of your creative thinking and flow as easily as walking and breathing at the same time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2010, 11:59 AM

Love the Caesium speech. Want him for president!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2010, 03:52 PM

It takes a while to understand where to buy and download after you click on the tutorials, but i managed it after payment. The email send after payment is in german tho.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2010, 04:08 PM

LOL yeah, and the agreetment too, but somehow all those twist are funny ^^
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2010, 06:36 PM

We work on that.
I promise
Thanks for your Feedback

lg calvin
Reply With Quote top