RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

I share my photoshop techniques

Old 03-04-2010, 08:14 AM

Re: I share my photoshop techniques

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypisek View Post
show me your pictures
Exactly who are you asking?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2010, 12:38 PM

Thanks for that bimbo, you definitely made up my mind. Can't wait to start on it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2010, 03:13 PM

Except for painting in a curve layer to enchance the highlights just a liiiitle bit, these pics are made ONLY with steps from the Calvinized training tutorials. If I had more time I think I could easily work on more details, but I was on a clock and there were lots more pictures to fix.
www.markusp.se/workshop01.jpg
www.markusp.se/workshop02.jpg
www.markusp.se/workshop03.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2010, 03:35 PM

Hi
Nice resaults
I guess you did a lot of own techniques not only from the training.
Nice photography by the way.
Take care... there are some little halos on the shoulder.
I like the pictures

lg Calvin
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypisek View Post
lol bimbo show me your pictures i would like to see how you apply calvin technique to your pictures
HAha... LOL!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2010, 04:36 PM

Thanks Calvin! Well actually, I didn't use anything else than what anyone can learn from your tutorials. I know about the halo, and as I wrote before, if I had more time I could have worked more on small details. But you know how it is, deadlines must be kept!

Let's take workshop02.jpg for example:

The main thing is the "Amazing details with blurring" tutorial, that's what gives the picture that special look. I copied the background layer, set it to Vivid light, inverted it and used a Surface blur filter.

Maybe I used slightgly different settings than in your tutorial. I think you use about 40 on both Radius and Threshold in the tutorial. I think I used less on both sliders, about Radius 10 and Threshold 30 because it simply looked better on this particular image. The effect is less noticable when you use lower values, but I knew I could enhance the details later with local contrast.

Then I merged the filtered layer and the background layer and set that new layer to Overlay (erased the Surface blur-filtered layer). I enhanched the details effect with Image -> Adjustments -> Local contrast to get even more details.

The thing I added after that, which is very simple, was a curve layer where I painted the highlights. It's very easy to see where you should paint when you have done all of the above, because the highlights really stand out, but I wanted them even lighter. Next thing was a Vibrance adjustmentlayer to desature the colours all over the picture, except for the drilling machine in the guy's hand. I kept that detail fully saturated as a "colour-click". The final touch was a curve layer which I used to create a Vignette (darker corners).

That's pretty much it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2010, 04:54 PM

For future use I would say to mask the effect off an out of focus background, or else it kind of looks funky. And to go easier on it in areas with lots of highlights. It looks great on his hands, the tool, and the shadows of his face, but looks a little wrong where the skin is lighter, almost as if there's too much detail.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aether View Post
For future use I would say to mask the effect off an out of focus background, or else it kind of looks funky. And to go easier on it in areas with lots of highlights. It looks great on his hands, the tool, and the shadows of his face, but looks a little wrong where the skin is lighter, almost as if there's too much detail.
I liiiike too much detail!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2010, 01:45 PM

Thumbs up Re: I share my photoshop techniques

You just have to be careful with blacks, especially with lower end cameras, such as 6 - 10 Megapixel sensors. Going too high with the details and blurring can cause serious grain issues in the blacks and sometimes with color distortion. You can get rid of this by either a desaturated mask around those areas, or taking your opacity down to your liking like Calvin explained in his tutorial.

Here is my 2Cents using my editing flow, mixed with Calvin's detail tutorial.
http://www.fadewoodstudios.com/rebelyell.jpg

Last edited by Fadewoodarts; 03-08-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2010, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadewoodarts View Post
You just have to be careful with blacks, especially with lower end cameras, such as 6 - 10 Megapixel sensors. Going too high with the details and blurring can cause serious grain issues in the blacks and sometimes with color distortion. You can get rid of this by either a desaturated mask around those areas, or taking your opacity down to your liking like Calvin explained in his tutorial.

Here is my 2Cents using my editing flow, mixed with Calvin's detail tutorial.
http://www.fadewoodstudios.com/rebelyell.jpg
Good advice Fadewood. Another trick I have learned is that with the blacks, if you get a grainy look or white flecks, create a new layer above and set this to 'color' blend mode. Pick a black or dark color brush and paint over the grainy areas.....
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching