RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

My kids photos to retouch

Old 07-01-2009, 09:02 AM

Re: My kids photos to retouch

I don't know, I think the best retouch was the originals, and nearly every version here blew out the quality and beauty of the originals, not adding anything really. Just my opinion. Maybe the goes to prove the best retouch is to have nice lighting like Tareq had to begin with.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2009, 10:03 AM

Hi Acsi,
maybe you´re right about some degradations on quality, but, about the lighting
you could see that, in every version, you could note that everyone had applyed some fill , thus everyone agree that it´s lacking in the original.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsi View Post
I don't know, I think the best retouch was the originals, and nearly every version here blew out the quality and beauty of the originals, not adding anything really. Just my opinion. Maybe the goes to prove the best retouch is to have nice lighting like Tareq had to begin with.
I agree about taking good originals, but as far as I know originals are never used for production, they are all retouched or enhanced is some fashion. I wish everyone would use a blue or green screen for their photos. Personally, I already know that as a beginner my versions won't amount to much. Maybe after trying and learning a year from now things will improve. I appreciate the photos being offered for practice and evaluation. There are areas of the photos that could be improved upon., John
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Patron

I will breach the sensitive subject..... I believe these photos would be great practice for hair removal.. plucking the eyebrows, removing lip hair, removing arm hair, removing forehead hair.... all invisibly.. leaving the photos as is as far as skin texture and tone.. minus the extraneous hair...

I would post a sample of what I mean, BUT, I am not skilled enough at removing the hair without screwing up the original and mottling or blurring the skin, so I am using them for practice, trying to improve my skills and remove the hair whilst retaining the original texture and skin tone. (Maybe a link to a higher resolution, like the original RAW would help... what do you think Tareq?)

These are also good photos to practice on for removing the bra strap on the shoulder and under the arm, cleaning teeth, and making the eyes pop,... among other things..

Thanks for the usage Tareq!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2009, 01:27 PM

Your daughters are getting lovelier everyday. And your photography is improving as well. Keep up the good work...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4Tareq.jpg (97.8 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Patron

Well, I'm gonna bite the bullet and post a WIP anyway!

These pretty girls were done mostly with the healing tool and the Clone tool set at lighten..

Tareq, I like the way your dishdashas provides a 3d effect in the eyes... But, in the future maybe you should be aware of your reflection when wearing white and taking a portrait.

I will work on the other beauty a bit later in the week..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a0001426_RP.jpg (192.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg a0001381_RP.jpg (194.1 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by 0lBaldy; 07-01-2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Added picture of the younger beauty
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2009, 06:49 PM

I find it in serious bad taste that some of you retouchers are removing the birth mark off the right side of this girls face. She can't even be 10 years old yet.

Tareq, please don't show those photos to your kids..
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2009, 07:57 PM

I heartily agree Julius.
Plus hair removal etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2009, 08:14 PM

Thumbs up Re: My kids photos to retouch

I think your daughter is just beautiful, not to mention the top quality photography. I wish I could take a portrait like that. Mind sharing your lighting setup?

I thought many of the previous attempts were overdone. I tried to enhance her natural childlike beauty, and I hope I didn't go too far.

Maybe I'll get a chance to practice on your other daughter if I get some free time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lovely.jpg (97.6 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by mikedimples; 07-01-2009 at 08:30 PM. Reason: forgot to embed color profile - image was too saturated
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2009, 11:38 PM

Cool Re: My kids photos to retouch

I don't know why my image got darker/more orange after I posted it. I thought I'd had this color space thing figured out!

Here's how I wanted it to look. What bugged me about the original was how loud and overpowering her red blouse was because of the grey background. I don't know if you know this, so sorry if I sound like a know-it-all, but when a color is placed directly touching a medium value grey background, it appears to increase in saturation. It's an illusion, but it seriously made that red blouse RED. This intense red placed next to her skin color made it look kind of green, because of the contrast.

I decided to tone down the red top and warm up the skin tones. Because I didn't save the full resolution image and only the 100K size, repairing it from the strange mistake version took it's toll on quality. Just ignore the strange transition between her and the BG.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lovely3.jpg (92.0 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by mikedimples; 07-02-2009 at 01:27 AM. Reason: third try's the charm!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching