RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Going for the terry richardson look

Old 12-07-2011, 12:03 AM

Re: Going for the terry richardson look

Terry Richardson lightsetup is probably the cheapest of all lighting setups. One of my best friends was on set with him in LA helping out and Terry only uses a Mini CB Bracket which you can purchase on B&H and speedlite also a cord running from the top of his camera to the bracket. A photographer in Orlando uses the Terry style and shoot with agencies models.

http://www.shootforyourlife.com/wp-c...ck-suarez1.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2011, 02:36 AM

Terry Richardson is a genius There, I said it... I used to wonder why would anyone who take simple snapshots would be this famous. I just did not get it until I start shooting fashion and interact with models.

Terry has a distinctive style, simple on the surface but very Zen like He eliminates all the complexity and focuses on the model and eliciting emotions. Also most fashion is shot on single hard light nowadays, so he is in with the current styles.

See the attached image of Mila Kunis: white clean backdrop, hard light, and a great moment captured for the cover of GQ. And the image is definitely retouched for the magazine.

To achieve this look with studio lights you need to try bare-bulb, or reflector directly pointing to the model. For Handheld see the above post about the 'Terry Richardson' flash bracket. It looks funny but it works (no I do not own one).

Getting back to your specific question of how to make your photo look like Terry Richardson style, I'm afraid it will not be easy. The photo you have is a soft light shot, also the direction of the shadows are not correct. What I suggest may not be easy to do but :

1. Remove the shadows on the background
2. Increase the contrast, add some crispness with high pass
3. Rebuild the shadows using the image
4. Overlay the image on the new shadows
5. Probably need to tweak catchlights as well

I'd say it is a lot of work for simulating such simple method of photography.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eRCu.mila-kunis-gq-cover-underwear-august-2011.jpg (86.6 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by sehmuzb; 12-07-2011 at 04:01 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2011, 04:21 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

I hadn't heard of Terry before reading this thread so I did a Google. Funny, on one website where Terry's photo of Sean Lennon and his girlfriend recreating the famous John and Yoko pose is shown, a reader comments, "...whoever took this picture is a near amateur at lighting and that lousy tousled sheet background. This ends up saying a lot about the decline of photography as well as music."

I'm surprised the OP had to even ask how these pix were done, they're so basic (I call it "assault lighting", which in Terry's case might be unintentionally appropriate ;-) ). IMO this is one of those cases where someone doing everyday imagery (in terms of technique; his interaction with his subjects is a bit unique) is somehow catapulted into megastardom in the fashion industry due to some odd combination of personal quirks (cannot be described here) and dress style (Deliverance for nerds, anyone?).

Given what is said in the various articles about Terry, I'm surprised the FBI hasn't visited him yet... Or that he continues to receive work. Then again, this is a mirror image of what goes on in Hollywood.

And before I read it in a comment above I was also going to say, stop trying to emulate others and get your own style of shooting and retouching. If someone is already doing something, why do you want to do the same?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2011, 04:47 PM

^ Funny you asked a lot of new photographer emulate others that have a certain style they seem attractive I know I do. Now if terry richardson's style is simple and amazing plus gets him magazine gigs wouldn't you want that as a upcoming photographer?. I know I would! I'll get the same light setup, learn how to do post similar to his ways and people would notice that I can do terry's style and I would work my way up. Now I don't mean copy and paste everything he does but a lot of photographers do workshops to show others their post work or lighting. Emulate never duplicate!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2011, 05:32 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

I don't know exactly how Terry worked his way up with a lot of people already shooting like that (whether they mean to or not), so... Must be all the other "stuff" he does!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching