RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Going for the terry richardson look

Old 07-05-2009, 04:27 PM

Going for the terry richardson look

I shot this photo and i wanna give it the terry richardson look.

any suggestions for how I can improve it with photoshop/psp?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg edit.jpg (53.0 KB, 743 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2009, 06:23 PM

Re: Going for the terry richardson look

First of all terry uses an on camera flash so the shadows are much harder and closer to the body.
So you might need to change your lighting first.
Terry use little to NO photoshop and is what makes his pictures special. Thye are crude and raw.
Not an easy task you have a head of you b/c the boudary beween something great and cheasy snap shot is what you will be battling more than any photoshopping.
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2009, 06:44 AM

BUMP

I´m also interested in Terrys look. What about the fashion shot he shoots? Is he still using one flash? Does anyone have any suggestions of how to achive that cold look? Like you said snook, the line between great and cheasy is very thin.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/resou...ee%20jeans.jpg

http://frillr.com/files/images/Sisle...10.preview.jpg

Mark
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2009, 09:44 PM

Even though his shots seem raw that doesn't mean they aren't retouched.

You can use a film camera, a highly saturated negative and a dedicated flash in order to achieve the vibrant look you need,
OR use a DSLR with dedicated flash with an E-TTL cord or a wireless trigger to position the flash unit from an angle and play with the lighting direction,
OR use a studio flash with a relative small beauty dish which works best for me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2009, 01:53 AM

Terry seems to be less concerned with lighting, composition and PP and more interested in the moment. the connection between him and subject. He captures a moment rather then creating one with fancy lights and hours of Photoshop. I'm not a big fan of him but I do understand what he's trying to do. instead of emulating him... try to find your own style, your own voice. Connect with your model, snap away and pick the perfect shot where you captured the moment. A candid smile, a laugh or cry. Capture the moment that when looked back on the story of that moment just has to be told!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2009, 11:54 AM

he's style seems very simple but great how it turns out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewwintour View Post
I shot this photo and i wanna give it the terry richardson look.

any suggestions for how I can improve it with photoshop/psp?
I have seen his work and there is nothing really complex to getting his "snapshot" look. On camera flash, hard shadows, funny expressions.

Check out the famous Vogue photographer Steven Meisel's work if you really want to see some impressive fashion images.

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305 View Post
First of all terry uses an on camera flash so the shadows are much harder and closer to the body.
So you might need to change your lighting first.
Terry use little to NO photoshop and is what makes his pictures special. Thye are crude and raw.
Not an easy task you have a head of you b/c the boudary beween something great and cheasy snap shot is what you will be battling more than any photoshopping.
Snook
Do you think he stays on the better side of that line simply because his subjects are famous people? Imagine the same shots of ho hum average joes, do you think they would err more on the cheesy snapshot side then? Im truly asking. Take his Jackass series for example, if that wasnt the guys from the show, and it was a bunch of wasted frat guys from North Dakota state univ, and they were on my website under their own section labelled jackasses, do you think I would be landing major campaigns? Im not disrespecting Richardson, I am truly asking a straight question. I understand that art is subjective etc, and theres a place for everything, but when the subject of that type of work comes up and people start discussing it either with praise or with discontent, I really am curious. Is it becasue he is shooting a celebrity, that suddenly that point and shoot blasted with flash snaphot goes from cheesy to oh its so raw and terry richardson?

I did not mean to sway the topic form the original question, but here..... imagine really hard if you will that the example posted by Andrew was of Beyonce for instance. I mean really imagine it (well, except for the hairy armpits she has....but even still, leave the hairy pits, it would make it more raw) now presto.....you dont have to touch a thing, that shot went from a point and shoot shot of some girl nobody knows, to a raw and edgy shot of beyonce....richardson style....oh and look, he even got her to leave the armpit hair....how does he convince his subjects to be so trusting of him....he is a magician!

Last edited by garibaldi; 12-10-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garibaldi View Post
Do you think he stays on the better side of that line simply because his subjects are famous people?
Sometimes I think people find things interesting simply because it's not what other people of the same level of fame are doing or have gotten famous for. His images aren't interesting to me personally. They remind me of the shots my buddies put up in their Facebook galleries.

They're all very animated people, not photographers, just a bunch of crazy 20 somethings with point and shoots who like taking pictures of anything they think is funny or weird or creepy so they can laugh about it later on.

So I'm used to seeing images like these all the time - what someone called "in the moment". Still - is it interesting that Terry is famous for this "snapshot style"? Sure.

No, he's not the only one who does it, he's just the one who got pegged for it, and no, it's not hard to replicate, but to be known for something that just looks like plain old pics anyone takes in a sea of remarkably creative images attempting to achieve flawlessness and avoid the very things that are a signature in his images is sort of interesting in and of itself.

It's like the first artist who got famous for something like painting a single line on a canvas. It's not hard, it's not breathtaking, but it's not the visual masterpiece other artists are constantly trying to paint either, so the fact that he had the desire to do that is something people respect and consider him to be even more of an artist for, in turn seeing more in his images than there is when they stand alone.

I think people want to model for him for the same reason - because it's a change of pace. People who are constantly in positions where they need to look a certain way and have everything natural about them critiqued and altered often welcome the opportunity to just do "something else".

Celebrities are a perfect fit for that.

And as for as it being celebrities, I think that lends more to credibility than how much people like the photos. People tend to judge a photographer's work by the quality of his work, yes, but there are also times when people say, "Well, if famous people let him shoot them, he must be legit, there must be something to it".

Particularly when you're talking about models trying to determine if someone is a real photographer or a creep with a camera.

Images with celebrities in them do, generally, have more "value" to the public, though, and to the ones who pay you a pretty penny for them.

A snapshot of your neighbor rubbing her tits on a cow while your friend milks it? Some people may get a kick out of it for it being weird and there being boobs in the shot, but then they'd get over it.

The same picture only with someone like Nicole Kidman rubbing her tits on the cow while Barack Obama milks it? Priceless - because they're "somebody" and most "somebodies", you'd never in your life have the opportunity to see in that kind of situation or even imagine they'd ever be in it in the first place - so whatever photographer can give you that opportunity must be an "artistic genius".

Lastly, I think the "thin line" between great and not is often just intent and continuity. I find pretty much all of Terry's images to be cheesy, but because they're all consistently the same thing, it gives them intent and that elevates it in people's minds - whether they realize it or not - to being something more.

If his entire gallery looked like something out of a standard fashion magazine and then you threw in one of his snapshot style images, people would immediately say, "What the hell is that? Why is that up there with all those great images? Maybe the person in it is a friend or something, because he definitely didn't keep that pic in his port for its quality..."

Whatever you do, however you do it, when you do it consistently, when you make it your "trademark", you give it more artistic weight than if things were just scattered all over the place with no identifiable style whatsoever. Even mistakes can become creative when you make the same one all the time.

Anyway, to the original poster, I would second whoever said to find your own style instead of attempting to replicate someone else's unless it's just for the sake of understanding a technique so you can apply it to your own individual vision.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insmac View Post
Even though his shots seem raw that doesn't mean they aren't retouched.

You can use a film camera, a highly saturated negative and a dedicated flash in order to achieve the vibrant look you need,
OR use a DSLR with dedicated flash with an E-TTL cord or a wireless trigger to position the flash unit from an angle and play with the lighting direction,
OR use a studio flash with a relative small beauty dish which works best for me.
Thank you for the one helpful comment. The rest of you must simply not know. I believe you turn the ISO way up, Put your flash to 3/4, and stand close to your subject fully zoomed out. Start with black and white and you'll get that "terry richardson" look soon enough.

"good artists copy, great artists steal"
-Picasso
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching