RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Studio Flooded - need help/tips

Old 07-05-2009, 09:53 PM

Studio Flooded - need help/tips

So I had an accident... think Katrina/New orleans...

I had a water pipe explosion and my photo studio is flooded!

specially the computer room...

The following is all wet...

Imac and peripherals

Wacom tablet

External Hardrive

Epson Scanner/Printer

Luckily all the power was off... so now I need to wait to dry to try and see the extent of the damage!!!

Any tips from the techs??? what is the best way to dry these?

As long as I can recover the HDs I will be less miserable as I have 3 ongoing projects in those HDs

HAAAALP
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2009, 04:54 AM

Re: Studio Flooded - need help/tips

Don't worry. If they were off, there actually is a really good chance that everything will work just fine. Maybe not your keyboards/mice/tablets, but the machines/HDD should be ok. If you had flooded the room with cola that would've instantly killed everything, but maybe stuff survived.

How I would go about this:

- Call the insurance!
- Get in there and take every computer/HDD out of there.
- Open up the comps and rip out the power supplies (they might be screwed)
- Dry stuff off a little with some towels (do not use force)
- Wait till everything dries off well (2 days waiting)
- Get 1 brand new power supply and try turning on 1 of the machines. See what happens.
- If nothing happens see if the hard drive will work on a different machine
- If not..... take it to a data recovery place, since it's only been wet, they should be able to recover it for you no problems.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2009, 11:05 AM

hi,
these a few thoughts...

boy you got a mess, I know you needed not to be told that.. smile...

wish we knew how wet the equipment got... light sprinkling or saturations...

light sprinkling... in most case just a good drying how ever saturation... poses a lot of problems.. especially if the water had a high mineral content ..

generally just a thorough drying and cross your fingers...

1. things like keyboard if they go saturated... probably better to replace than clean... however if cleaning.. then... take it apart,,, rinse that keyboard card with with distilled water and then use a non oil residue electronic cleaner... then dry thoroughly.. we used the oven (at a low temp) although you can use the fan routine ....the electronic cleaner what it does for you.. is it push out most of the water from the various little crevices around the keys and in itself will evaporate very quickly.... and the oven routine takes care of any moisture that may be left behind.... this meathod also works with other devices....

2. scanner and printers.... most of there electronics are exposed.... I would problaby take them apart and rinse them with electronic cleaner to not only help dry them but also rinse off any contaminates or impurities the water left behind....!! ( special attention to jacks and plugs)

3. hard drives... the drives themselves are sealed pretty good.... unless there submeged in water I wouldn't expect any problems.... however on your external , if they have seperate fan and/or seperate power supply ... that maybe a problem very least they need to be dry before turning on.... final note if it turn out that the drive is dead... if the porject is important enough... there are service that will recover all your files on the hd disks!!

4. your pc..... if things got wet inside... then a good drying... i would probably unplug the various connectors, in order to insure what moisture there was inside the connector can evaporate more easily... also I would probably use a good hair dryer !!! and try eliminate any moisture around plugs and connectors,,,, around the power suppy, that a biggie, around all your sockets (may need to removed the cards) bottom line dry things good!!!!
note: when using a hair drier..... don't think in terms of just a minute or two... that generally not going to be sufficient but at least 10-30 minutes..

5. the tablet... I don't have one... so... i don't know well sealed they are... or how wet it actually got.... or if it even vialble to take apart and dry..

how much drying time required... depends on how much water is involved..and how many little crevices there are for water to hide in.. !! if you rely on natural drying it may take days, if you use heat.... that shorten the time a lot....

well those are some of my thoughts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_fuzz View Post
So I had an accident... think Katrina/New orleans...

I had a water pipe explosion and my photo studio is flooded!

specially the computer room...

The following is all wet...

Imac and peripherals

Wacom tablet

External Hardrive

Epson Scanner/Printer

Luckily all the power was off... so now I need to wait to dry to try and see the extent of the damage!!!

Any tips from the techs??? what is the best way to dry these?

As long as I can recover the HDs I will be less miserable as I have 3 ongoing projects in those HDs

HAAAALP
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2009, 11:52 AM

Have to admit that I have never done a computer, but have done several two way handheld radios that repeatedly got submerged in river water. We would get the batteries out as soon as possible, then take them home, open the cases, rinse with tap water, then just shake them a bit to get rid of the bigger drops back in the crevices.

Then set the oven to about 190 to 200 degrees and carefully monitor that, place the equipment in there and just let it bake for several hours till we could not find any moisture in it. One could use a lower temperature, but remember that that will make the drying time longer.

Two hundred degrees sounds like a very hot temperature, but remember that a car with the windows shut on a hot day can reach that temperature and your laptop will still work when you get it out and cooled down.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2009, 02:44 PM

hi there,

thanks for the tips...

the equipment got wet... but not soaked underwater...

this was on top of the table when the roof came down... so it was that bump of water coming down... it didnt keep showering on top after...

I took the external HD apart (yes, it the fan/sep power supply one) and gave it a good blowdrier fan routine on it. the actual HD inside is a seagate and it looks pretty tight sealed.

The Imac computer I left in a dry place with towels around as I didnt have time to take to apple care today!

the thing I am worried the most is the wacom tablet as this one was pretty wet!!!!
keyboards, mice and wacom pen... proper wet!!

this is a fucking nightmare... sorry for the fault language!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2009, 03:39 PM

hi your welcome...

first what i suggest.... is call or email wacom support!! they may say the same thing were saying or some different... but I would make contact .. I am positive your not the only,,, I am positive other people spilt there drinks, coffee sodas, water,,, etc.... !!lol...

on the pen.. you may need to disassymble it in order to dry it out good...

also taking a closer at the wacom... and from what you said , unless they used good gaskets and sealers ,,there possiblity amount of water still in it.. and you may need to take off the backing in order dry it out good !!!! ... this is where wacom support ca give you some ideas if that required...

now i came across this art5icle on take apart a table but it not that good but it can serve as a guidline....
http://www.instructables.com/id/STXUVMOFN82TTA1/

for your amusement... smile... here a little true story about water and electronics, it happened to me...
I was overhauling a 10 million dollars electronic system... and that morning i turn on the system to give it a good warm up before doing the final alignment and system checks... then took off for a hour.... oh the power to the system is 440v 3 phase 400 cycles!!!

when i came back and open up the door.. there was 5" of water on the floor (no exageration) .... needless to say... i am thinking that my system may get fried.. fortuately the power breakers were near the door so turn off the power... ... but the threat wasn't over yet...! had to figure out where the warter comming from and get it turn off... since the water is not tap water but salt water!!! . imagine what saltware can do to electronics!! .... finally found out where the water comming from and got it turn off and no damage.. happy ending....

oh why the water in the first place.. smiling... well it seem like a couple of month previosly.. some some contractors had cut a portion of the firemain, that ran thru the space , and instead of using a valve to plug they just put in a wood plug....lol.... and when they charged the firemain while i was gone the wate just pop that blug..... oh where the firemain was located was hidden by cabenents and boxes so no one would notice...!!! grrr... now there i had night mares and i was fit to be tied....!! everyone stayed away from from me for while...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_fuzz View Post
hi there,

thanks for the tips...

the equipment got wet... but not soaked underwater...

this was on top of the table when the roof came down... so it was that bump of water coming down... it didnt keep showering on top after...

I took the external HD apart (yes, it the fan/sep power supply one) and gave it a good blowdrier fan routine on it. the actual HD inside is a seagate and it looks pretty tight sealed.

The Imac computer I left in a dry place with towels around as I didnt have time to take to apple care today!

the thing I am worried the most is the wacom tablet as this one was pretty wet!!!!
keyboards, mice and wacom pen... proper wet!!

this is a fucking nightmare... sorry for the fault language!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2009, 02:31 AM

I don't know if I am too late to answer, maybe for future reference but silica gel is excellent for any water damage to electronics. instead of hoping that blow drying it will fix the problem, just buy a ton of silica gel (online, well priced) and just lay it all over the internal components. I've dropped phones, cameras, etc in water and the silica gel has been great every time.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching