RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Warping and Manipulating Hair

Old 07-13-2009, 05:26 PM

Re: Warping and Manipulating Hair

Why would u save them? Too many reasons - heres a few off the top of my head

1 client comes back and says - "we loved the image you did for Nike last year, its same image we want, just can you do something about that background. We are re-purposing …"

2 You've a deadline and you want a quick - "jeez, how did I DO that again?"

3 you think you could use THAT old hair retouching that you did ten years ago. Or textures or whatever.

4 You are putting together images for your website, thinking "ah I see NOW how that could have been better" - visually your better than you were four years ago

5 A great way of keeping track of your progress

etc - if you've been doing it four years Godmother then you maybe still got to have those issues. Ive still got zips and stuff of stuff going back to 1995.

Last edited by Markzebra; 07-13-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2009, 06:21 PM

I think Markzebra just summed up my reasons for keeping layered working files. I didn't do this for the first four years of retouching professionally, and I would love to have some of those images back then for my book now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
1 client comes back and says - "we loved the image you did for Nike last year, its same image we want, just can you do something about that background. We are re-purposing …"
Never happened... but if it did... I cam re mask the BG

An hour of work :$100 (and this hasn't happen in 3 years) --- Saving every psd of every file I work on: $500 every year.

Quote:
2 You've a deadline and you want a quick - "jeez, how did I DO that again?"
- NEVER questioned my sef "How did I do that again"

Quote:
3 you think you could use THAT old hair retouching that you did ten years ago. Or textures or whatever.
- I don't use hair brushes or external textures, never did.

Quote:
4 You are putting together images for your website, thinking "ah I see NOW how that could have been better" - visually your better than you were four years ago
THIS ONE - could be... I should keep the .psd i like.

Quote:
5 A great way of keeping track of your progress
I don't see this...I can notice my progress in myself,
my way of retouching my old files compared to my new ones.

I really don't see the need of that amount of disk space.

Mark... I don't know if u work in an agency but... really... 5+ files per week Sometimes more than 400MB per file... I thik it's a bit too much.

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2009, 08:18 AM

Your files are as small as 400mg, then you have absolutely no issue with saving them, files were that size back in the days of 20 gig hardrives - my files go up to 2gig sometimes now everyone's moving up to 16 bit

"old hair retouching that you did ten years ago. Or textures or whatever." - you misunderstood

"Saving every psd of every file I work on: $500 every year. " - a pack of 10DVD's costs less than $10

Believe me, change your policy, one day you'll thank me. I guess whether you can see the point in this now, partly depends on how destructive your base working methods actually are, and how editable your files.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2009, 08:23 AM

a 620 Gb external harddrive will set you back 80 euro's.

That's a LOT of 400 meg files you can save on that. Work any which way you like, but I don't think that money is a valid excuse to not save your workfiles.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2009, 10:44 AM

The cost of HArd drives is a joke now a days, so if that is an excuse it is a VERY lame excuse.
I do double back-ups of everything!!! And I shoot daily with a camera that shoots 31 megapixels which is 190 megabytes EVERY picture i 16 bit. So do not whine to me about HD's.
A 750 MAxtor internal HD cost 70.00 us$. I have a MacPro and a HD tower that you can exchange in and out HD like putting in a DVD.
I have ben shooting for 20 years and retoching for about 15. We ALL forget sometimes what we did.
I think is Mark is a photographer like me which makes it easier to forget sometimes compared to some one who just retouches all day long and for a living.
In any case when you start getting BIG clients you will regret not keep PSD layered files.
Who ever is closing them out is a rookie move and is like a photographer shooting in jpg mode.
You just don't do it.
I have clients all the time asking me for re0use of iages but to change something slightly. And specially with the "crisis" right now many are re using images to save money.
Whta ever floats your boat. But not keeping a copy of work you have done for clients and in layered format is a rookie decison for sure, no doubt about it.
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305 View Post
The cost of HArd drives is a joke now a days, so if that is an excuse it is a VERY lame excuse.
I do double back-ups of everything!!! And I shoot daily with a camera that shoots 31 megapixels which is 190 megabytes EVERY picture i 16 bit. So do not whine to me about HD's.
A 750 MAxtor internal HD cost 70.00 us$. I have a MacPro and a HD tower that you can exchange in and out HD like putting in a DVD.
I have ben shooting for 20 years and retoching for about 15. We ALL forget sometimes what we did.
I think is Mark is a photographer like me which makes it easier to forget sometimes compared to some one who just retouches all day long and for a living.
In any case when you start getting BIG clients you will regret not keep PSD layered files.
Who ever is closing them out is a rookie move and is like a photographer shooting in jpg mode.
You just don't do it.
I have clients all the time asking me for re0use of iages but to change something slightly. And specially with the "crisis" right now many are re using images to save money.
Whta ever floats your boat. But not keeping a copy of work you have done for clients and in layered format is a rookie decison for sure, no doubt about it.
Snook
ok... so now u've called me an idiot and a rookie... nice.

Don't feel like helping u now... but anyway why would u like a rookie to teach u something u've been doing for 15 year.

have a nice day.

xxx
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2009, 02:23 PM

Godmother - I think my comment using the word "idiot" was perhaps a bit unhelpful, and certainly wasn't aimed directly at you. After a recent look on your Deviant page, I can see that you are far from that.

I had a look through, and found a video where it looks like you are actually WORKING pretty well on flat pixels doing a lot of merging? So really with your working methods, you are right, there's not much point in saving anything, if you are basically working flattened anyway. As long as you've got the original… in my personal opinion these are not necessarily the BEST working methods. But its all about results, and from what I can see you are getting those these days.

Last edited by Markzebra; 07-14-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Godmother - I think my comment using the word "idiot" was perhaps a bit unhelpful, and certainly wasn't aimed directly at you. After a recent look on your Deviant page, I can see that you are far from that.

I had a look through, and found a video where it looks like you are actually WORKING pretty well on flat pixels doing a lot of merging? So really with your working methods, you are right, there's not much point in saving anything, if you are basically working flattened anyway. As long as you've got the original… in my personal opinion these are not necessarily the BEST working methods. But its all about results, and from what I can see you are getting those these days.
My workflow is not like "the look over my shoulders", that video was done... dunno...2 years ago? (I don't remember, maybe more) I had a PC (Slow and ugly, like most of them ) so I had to chose between keeping layers and the screen recording software to actually 'run' full screen

I remember I was so happy when I did that video and posted here because you and some other "big dogs" here trashed it a part and I was so happy to actually been trashed by you guys ... that usually didn't bother to comment or critic anything that weren't worthy of it (you changed btw... now u comment on noobs all the time, but then I thought.. if they are trashing this, it must not be so bad!)

Anyway... memory flash back...

I didn't mind YOU using the word IDIOT btw... because u're not asking me for a favor.

Thanks for your nice words, it means a lot.

u reminded me... I need a website that actually works...

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2009, 03:35 PM

I never called you a rookie, just rookie moves.
Also I was not holding my breath for you to post a detailed workflow as I noticed how you squirmed out of it when you started making excuses that you do not have anything at the moment to show, yet you are also crazy busy with work..?
That was kind of a give away that you were backing out of the comment you made.
Anybody that busy and that "great" at doing it would have posted something right away.
So no problem if you do not want to help me/us, as I am not the only one that was wondering. I am used to those kind of comments by now. USually the ones that jump in saying how great they are and how they know how to do something are the same ones that never post anything but empty promises.

Thanks anyways

Snook
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching