RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Warping and Manipulating Hair

Old 07-15-2009, 05:18 PM

Re: Warping and Manipulating Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305 View Post
I never called you a rookie, just rookie moves.
Also I was not holding my breath for you to post a detailed workflow as I noticed how you squirmed out of it when you started making excuses that you do not have anything at the moment to show, yet you are also crazy busy with work..?
That was kind of a give away that you were backing out of the comment you made.
Anybody that busy and that "great" at doing it would have posted something right away.
So no problem if you do not want to help me/us, as I am not the only one that was wondering. I am used to those kind of comments by now. USually the ones that jump in saying how great they are and how they know how to do something are the same ones that never post anything but empty promises.

Thanks anyways

Snook
Ok... STOP

Please don't be an asshole.

Just look around and see how I DO HELP ppl a lot.

I'm still giving ppl the psd, just not u.

xx
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2009, 08:28 PM

Hi,

maybe this it is a very simple way of making hair with a painterish effect..
It is done in Artweaver but the method can be translate to PS and Painter too.

I create 4 brushes in Artweaver, Hair Smooth, Hair Soft, Hair Graphic and Hair Thin, basically 4 variations/manipulations of one existing brush.
Than I create some special gradients for the shades of hair I want to paint.
When i start to paint I build up the hairmass in 3 layers and, when I am almost finished, it is possible to lay an extra layer on top for that finishing touch, later on.
I paint through all the layers, starting with a big Hair Smooth brush, for the bigger blocks of mixed colours.
On top on the mass of painted hair blocks, (mostly painted in the 1 layer) I manipulate the brush to give some relief with a little Image Luminance, in different settings.

Than I use the other brushes through the 3 layers, in the same way to get an interesting hair-effect in different shades, textures and diffent heights and I pay much attention to the right flow of the hair.

No masking is used (does not exist in AW), errors are simply paint over or the stuff tool is used in a very transparant setting.

I hope my little tutorial is useful for someone here.

Maya
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
Ok... STOP

Please don't be an asshole.

Just look around and see how I DO HELP ppl a lot.

xx

Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I must be an idiot then...
PS: I'm a 27 years old single mother with 2 University mayors who started retouching 4 years ago. English is only my second language but I managed to get clients from London and NY, already done editorials and advertorials for Vogue, Elle, Esquire and other smaller mags worldwide... Also worked with Unilever, L'Oreal (Hair products and Make up), Maybelline, Nike, among other smaller brands over the world. So... I REALLY REALLY don't see my self as an idiot.
word! well done!!

it always impresses me more when people take responsibility for their own future and go for it.

i started out doing retouching for an online store and i was constantly moaning about wanting to do high end stuff. you know what people said? "forget it. its not gonna happen"... two years later i have done exactly that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:

??????????
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2009, 02:54 PM

Tic Toc Tic Toc Tic Toc
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2009, 12:29 PM

Hi Snook,

In an earlier part of the thread you were looking for some Hi Res Hair Brush Samples for larger images to play with.

Here are some Very High Res 300 dpi Hair Brush Master (Samples) that can be made into Hair Brushes that can cover up to 16x20 inch images.

Just marquee the samples you want and then go into the usual standard Photoshop make brush area and procedure (or help file) and make the brushes from the masters. The resulting brushes can be scaled up or down in size...and IF you put them on a Separate Layer...they can be twisted, or curved or shaped however you want, they can be blended into the existing hair, colored to match the existing hair, or textured with other hair samples. The way these samples are made, they do not exhibit the typical edge fuzzyness or fringing or matting problems you usually find on hand extracted samples...so they can be used as "edge hair" over any background without the tell tale visual artifacts.

Here in New York City we use these Hi Res Brushes to repair bad hair cutouts and bad hair extractions, to fill in the gaps in the hair, to volumize the hair, or to change or add to its style. We always look to collect various types of hair samples so we have them when ever necessary.

The file size is somewhat big...and to keep our monthly bandwidth allotment reasonable...I will leave this file up for approx a week...and then will take it down on Nov 2, 2009.

The download link is:

http://www.screencast.com/t/ymrymUzL5

Snook...We were looking into buying one of those 31 megapixel backs you have...but the mortgage market is kinda tight right now!! LOL.

Cheers,

Ray12

Last edited by ray12; 10-27-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2009, 07:58 PM

Wow, some harsh criticism Godmother... I don't blame you for not saving them, a year and a half later how many files do you have "archived" and how are you going to easily find it. Where I used to work we kept everything, but we had a full network with a searchable tape backup system and even then we couldn't always find the file we were looking for, and a request to get something off back-up could take half a day or more.

I do understand keeping everything in some fields, I did textbooks and we regularly reworked files over the course of 10 years, in fact about 18 months ago we were still making edits to projects done in Quark 3.11. But as a freelancer doing high end retouching I don't know if it makes economic sense to do it. I would imagine that there is rarely an image in beauty advertising that exists in a current campaign for more than 6 months to a year.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2009, 02:29 PM

She is so good she can do whatever she wants to do seriously it's her choice simply by far her work speaks for itself. Once the job is done and the client is happy and has the finals the job is done and the client should keep backups themselves really. Keeping old stuff is a matter of preference no more no less.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2009, 08:13 AM

THANKS GODMOTHER (a rare, practically indispensable post here, with a high res file that will forever change my workflow)
Why are we talking about saving psd's in this very useful series of posts. This has the chance to help many people solve a very difficult problem, creating the best hair edges. The problem about cutting out hair is what to do when it is the same tone as the underlayer. Not only that but even if you have a clean background there may be so many different hairs going all different ways that once you mask it out, it ALWAYS looks like you just cut it off cause it either leaves too sharp of a line or not sharp enough. I was able to make a "hair" brush in photoshop (HUGE thanks for posting the high res hair) that consisted of perfect hair strands that I can use to overlay along the crapy edges. The result is that you can cut as you wish and then just overlay the a few strands of hair on the outline, effectively covering the bad edge that existed before. This is wickedly useful for more high end clients. There is a lot more going on in this before and after but the edges are all fake along the sides!
www.domophoto.com/census MOUSE OVER IMAGE TO SEE "BEFORE"
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching