RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Warping and Manipulating Hair

Old 10-29-2009, 09:33 AM

Re: Warping and Manipulating Hair

I've done some hair work, but only minor stuff, I'd love to see how other people handle it however.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2009, 06:23 PM

my last Hair-Retouching:

http://www.abload.de/thumb/img_9663_vniwvp.jpg

i used the technics of godmother...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2009, 01:28 PM

Hey Robby,

your link leads to the thumbnail ;-)

To the topic: I mostly use the stamp tool on "Darken"-mode and sometimes just a selection of good hair (problem is that I don't have enough reference files, I should probably start collecting some).

Last edited by Der_W; 11-01-2009 at 04:01 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2009, 02:41 PM

Godmother Omg... time goes so fast... its as You have said 4 years since that video of Yours workflow. Could You share some info about, how did You get to Yours clients? Were You sending Your's work to big agencies, or the clients came directly to You?

Ps... have You ever wondered to make a nev video of Yours workflow, that shows technique now? Or Maybe Doug did ask You to make a webinar?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSoulglo View Post
Most retouching houses do actually save their psb/psd's. But it's different, they have servers and back-up systems as well. I can see as a freelancer how you wouldn't save everything.
There are DVD's! Having tons of that =D
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2009, 11:37 PM

By the way, the post went from warping hair to the price of HD to calling people idiots and critizing workflows... Quite weird, nobody replied the main question.

By the way, Godmother, you know saving Jpegs compress the images a lot, why not saving at least merged tiff's or psd's? Also, saving layered files would work very nice if you have to probe you did the retouch of the pics. I save everything in layers and every e-mail and every chat or mail conversation. Everything (even skype talks muahahaha!!!)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2009, 03:37 AM

I can understand Godmother workflow. She is good in things she do, so no need to go back to see how she did something before (know yours tool, know what You are doing). Also, if she does 4, 5 retouch per week, its like driwing a car -You dont need manual anymore. Aso, if she finish work and show jpg to client (as she said), client aproves, she sends tif, money booked, whats the point of keeping data? Next day comes next client and all begins again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2009, 05:01 AM

This was a good topic but it seems to have gone off track with insults. Shame.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2009, 05:15 AM

Seems that we all have a lot to learn about seeing the value in each other's work. I like to save the layered file copies of everything (and to keep the layers well labeled so I'm not lost when I go back to revisit a file). I think it's a good business practice to keep it backed up on two hard drives and to burn a DVD for each completed job. But that's me.

And I'm not in any position to judge Godmother's work or her working methods. Her work speaks for itself. And I think we could all learn at least a few things from her.

Meanwhile, we all have idiosyncratic working methods, and we all have different strengths and shortcomings.

If you disagree with someone's working methods, you can express your difference of opinion in a respectful way. You can suggest different ones and warn about potential problems. But just because you do things differently doesn't mean that everyone else should necessarily follow your common sense. Each person will have their own individual priorities.

There are plenty of people out there who are fanatical about backing up files but whose work is sorely lacking. And in my mind doing great work can cover a multitude of perceived deficiencies.

Some people are out there doing retouching using just a few simple techniques (but using them really well and doing incredible work). Some people are using every bit of functionality that Photoshop has to offer (and then some). Some people are working on flat files, while others are pushing the layer limits. Some high end photographers are shooting JPEGs.

In the end, it's not all about the working methods. It's mostly about the quality of the final work. If we want to share ideas and learn from one another, it doesn't do anyone any good to start calling people stupid or idiotic or rookie or whatever. It's not a place for name calling or character assassination or mean-spirited judgement.

Even if you feel that you or your methods are somehow superior in some regard, you can keep that judgement to yourself. Because at the very least it doesn't inspire good will or encourage people to share what they do know with you.

We all have a lot to learn from everyone around us. And if you're not too busy thinking you're somehow better than someone else in some way, you might be a lot more open to seeing the value in everyone around you. And often the greatest opportunities for learning will come from unlikely sources.

Hope you are doing well. Take care. Alan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberek View Post
Ps... have You ever wondered to make a nev video of Yours workflow, that shows technique now? Or Maybe Doug did ask You to make a webinar?
He never did,I'm deeply offended lol

I've been commissioned to make my DVD tho (but don't tell anyone It's going to be out by xmass)

x
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching