RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Warping and Manipulating Hair

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-06-2009, 07:32 PM
snook305's Avatar
snook305 snook305 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South
Posts: 426
Warping and Manipulating Hair

Anybody have any good tutorials or know where I can learn more about warping and manipulating hair. Mainly on a higher end please.
Like for High end Hair products etc..
Trying to grasp the idea of using Hair from other heads and using them or parts of them to fill in areas.
I have a pretty good stock of hair collections.
Also I have a lot of hair brushes but cannot grasp how they wold be handy on a High res file which I am used to working with.

Thanks alot for any information or Help.

Thanks

Snook
Reply With Quote top
  #2  
Old 07-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Godmother's Avatar
Godmother Godmother is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 814
Re: Warping and Manipulating Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305 View Post
Anybody have any good tutorials or know where I can learn more about warping and manipulating hair. Mainly on a higher end please.
Like for High end Hair products etc..
Trying to grasp the idea of using Hair from other heads and using them or parts of them to fill in areas.
I have a pretty good stock of hair collections.
Also I have a lot of hair brushes but cannot grasp how they wold be handy on a High res file which I am used to working with.

Thanks alot for any information or Help.

Thanks

Snook
Like this: www.nataliataffarel.com/Hair2.jpg ??

Because I don't think brushes can cut the high end thing.

It' basically what u said: Warping and Manipulating Hair by using Hair from other heads to fill in areas.

The main thing is to mask BIG bits of hair and always concentrate on the flow.

Using hard brushes to mask, following the line of the hair (so u don't get "blury" parts)

Matching highlights, shadows and sharpness of each bit. with the original source.

When done masking, usually helps to draw hair using the smudge tool in a new empty layer (tick on sample all layers) and using the "already there" hair as tone sample.

Then just use the clone tool in darken mode, also in a new empty layer, to remove strays or flying hairs that don't follow the flow.

Hope that helped.

xx

Good luck!

xx
Reply With Quote top
  #3  
Old 07-07-2009, 08:40 AM
snook305's Avatar
snook305 snook305 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South
Posts: 426
Re: Warping and Manipulating Hair

That is exactly what I am talking about.. Could you go further..
Or do you have a lower res PSD I could check out.
You did a very good job.. Are they hairs from another girl or the same girl?
Are you masking them so they are completely mask out "floating" or do you use hairs that were from the same background so they match even better.
I would love any further help you could give b/c that is exactly what I was talking about.
Thanks
Snook
Reply With Quote top
  #4  
Old 07-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Godmother's Avatar
Godmother Godmother is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 814
Re: Warping and Manipulating Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305 View Post
That is exactly what I am talking about.. Could you go further..
Or do you have a lower res PSD I could check out.
You did a very good job.. Are they hairs from another girl or the same girl?
Are you masking them so they are completely mask out "floating" or do you use hairs that were from the same background so they match even better.
I would love any further help you could give b/c that is exactly what I was talking about.
Thanks
Snook
I don't have THIS psd... because once the job is done, and the client is happy i delete the psd.

But I can keep it the next time i get a hair job. And give it to you.

I always do hair like this, I tell my clients always to shoot several hairs when doing a story, so i can use them as sources.

xx
Reply With Quote top
  #5  
Old 07-08-2009, 04:19 AM
Fact Fact is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 28
Re: Warping and Manipulating Hair

Amazing work Godmather, looks so real.
Reply With Quote top
  #6  
Old 07-08-2009, 07:12 AM
pellepiano pellepiano is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 393
Re: Warping and Manipulating Hair

Yes, very nice work. Wow. Did all additional hair come from the same shot or did you use hair from a similar shot at the same session?
Reply With Quote top
  #7  
Old 07-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Godmother's Avatar
Godmother Godmother is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 814
Re: Warping and Manipulating Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellepiano View Post
Yes, very nice work. Wow. Did all additional hair come from the same shot or did you use hair from a similar shot at the same session?
I always tell my clients to shoot EXTRA HAIR files, I had 11 extra hair files for 4 shoots.

btw... I'm doing Dove next month... maybe i can convince my client to let me share a psd file with u guys? if that's not high end I don't know what high end is

xx
Reply With Quote top
  #8  
Old 07-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Markzebra's Avatar
Markzebra Markzebra is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: London, UK
Posts: 718
Re: Warping and Manipulating Hair

Worst case scenario - you can also paint hair. I mean using very carefully constructed custom brushes. CS4 is great for this because of rotate view.

Last edited by Markzebra; 07-08-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Reply With Quote top
  #9  
Old 07-08-2009, 12:39 PM
pellepiano pellepiano is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 393
Re: Warping and Manipulating Hair

And you can also rotate hairbrush strokes by angle you paint. Neat.
Reply With Quote top
  #10  
Old 07-08-2009, 01:37 PM
domididom domididom is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 35
Re: Warping and Manipulating Hair

Godmother could you tell us something more about retouching hair? Your work is amazing.
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved