RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to save an image without one channel?

Old 07-07-2009, 12:25 PM

Re: How to save an image without one chanel?

You are running into the evils of converting color modes.

When you delete the channel in RGB mode you convert it to a multi-channel file format. The remaining channels are converted to their CMYK equivalent.

To convert it back you with a close resemblance you need to add two alpha channels filled with white. Now you can convert it to CMYK. Due to the way the color modes blend the channels and the gaumet available to the color modes you are going to see a color shift here. You should be able to do a curves adjustment on one of the channels to get a closer match to your multi-channel file. Now that you have a CMYK file you should be able to convert it to RGB if needed.

What might be easier is to take a screenshot and work with that, it should be a RGB file.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (32.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 2.jpg (34.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 3.jpg (37.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 5.jpg (37.8 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2009, 02:32 AM

Many thanks to all of you!
Your comments are very important for me. Thanks again for your help! I found what I was looking for.

Martin
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2009, 01:56 AM

Photoshop shows the channels in gray or in the respective color but that will depend on how your PS is set. Just go to Preferences and look for something like "Show channels in colors" box and check it. In gray or colors doesn't affect the image. Naturally, digital images are made by 3 channels of gray which mixed gives the idea of color, but there arenot colors, actually. Use the channel mixer if you want to get some fluor colors, so you will keep the other channels just in case you need them later. By the way, erasing channels and saving the file will not allow you to restore the channel later, and also, the file size will be, of course 1/3 smaller.

Remember: the channels will always be in gray scale, that's just illustrative, doens't matter if PS shows colors or gray scaled individual channels, that's just illustrative.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isedo View Post
Hi, thanks for helping but here is the difference.

One is without the blue and one with black blue.
What is wrong?

Thanks,
Martin
If you want to do that kind of toning just add a curve adjustment layer and edit each channel separately by rising the black point and lowering the white point. Play with that, you will get cool results, but remember: you will be shortening the pixel data info.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3Studio View Post
If you want to do that kind of toning just add a curve adjustment layer and edit each channel separately by rising the black point and lowering the white point. Play with that, you will get cool results, but remember: you will be shortening the pixel data info.
Thanks my friend. Yes I often do the toning with curves but I love the unespected effect that ereasing a chanel gives you. It's some kinda of very nice and retro toning i like so much. Of course it's possible to obtain it trought different tools but i find nice to play with chanels...ot better to say, it's a new way for me to obtain toning and i'm trying to understand it better.

Thanks again for your time and help Quantum and all of you.

Martin

P.s. Are u from argentina Quantum? I love Arg

Last edited by Isedo; 07-09-2009 at 03:04 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2009, 03:06 AM

Well... then you can try with the channel mixer if you like that way

Yeah, I'm from Argentina... Why you love it? I certainly hate it...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2009, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3Studio View Post
Well... then you can try with the channel mixer if you like that way

Yeah, I'm from Argentina... Why you love it? I certainly hate it...
Sorry for the quick ot guys. I love it couse my ex was from Argentina, from Catamarca, near Cordoba. I love the people, the life style, the emotions that land can give. I was there just for 1 mounth but it's still in my heart. It's somethink I can't explain.

Why do you hate it?

Martin
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isedo View Post
Sorry for the quick ot guys. I love it couse my ex was from Argentina, from Catamarca, near Cordoba. I love the people, the life style, the emotions that land can give. I was there just for 1 mounth but it's still in my heart. It's somethink I can't explain.

Why do you hate it?

Martin
Don't listen to Quantum - I'm from Argentina and i agree with you. We have passion and very special soul - We are strong, passionate and firey - we can be a pain in the arse but we never lose what makes us who we are-

I LOVE it here!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2009, 10:43 AM

I hate Argentina 'cause the people. They just have no respect for things and people, streets are flooded with garbage, politicians are damn corrupt, salaries are shit, hospitals are more infected and dangerous than streets, educations really sucks, general IQ is too low, ignorance, violence, delinquency, no laws, people kill and then they're free, too much comunists also, there is no law nor respect, technology is obsolete and every thing here is obsolete, daily life sucks... However, I'm happy because I work abroad through Internet, I don't have to deal with argentineans all the time. The other day I was crossing the street through the zebra, as it has to be, and the traffic light was in red for cars and a fuc*er motherfuc*ing fuc*er riding a bike wanted to pass and he accelerated the motor of his bike but man, is in red for you! And the mother*ucker passed and menaced me, etc... There are thousand of examples... So... What passion? That kind of? Because that's the result of passionate, irrational ignorant, caveman people from Argentinean. And of course, some people from Argentina is nice, but just a few. I would like to know which neighborhood God Mother lives, because she really knows how shit is Argentina.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2009, 10:48 AM

Ok, i think we can stop this OT...I understand what u're talking about but I think every place have it's own problems. Now I live in Italy, I'm from Prague, and believe me, the same shit here, maybe worse.: no respect for anyone.

Anywhere, when I was in Argentina i found just great people, very friendly and I felt like at home, i'm in love with that land, it's a very strong sensation.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching