RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Increasing Saturation Technique

Old 07-07-2009, 04:18 PM

Re: Increasing Saturation Technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapour View Post
@Badly
I am well aware of making luminosity masks and Tony's tutorials; they are the opposite of what I am wanting to make, if you read my post. I do not want to increase color saturation in shadows or lights.

@eraanexact
Me too
Then use a midtone luminosity mask. Or combine a highlight and shadow mask and invert it.

I haven't tried your technique yet but from your sample it appears to be adding saturation to the already most saturated parts of the image. In which case you could make a saturation mask and invert it, or not, depending on what you want it to do.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/blo...ed-posted.html

But if what you are doing works best, that's cool too. Thanks for sharing it. I'll try it when I get a chance. What types of images do you find it best for?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Patron

Quote:
@Badly <insert> (Must have been a Freudian slip.. tis Baldy)</insert>
I am well aware of making luminosity masks and Tony's tutorials; they are the opposite of what I am wanting to make, if you read my post. I do not want to increase color saturation in shadows or lights.
To me, if you "do not want to increase color saturation in shadows or lights" that would leave Midtones and seeing as you know all about Luminosity masks I guess having 4 different Midtone luminosity masks that you also have the ability to fine tune are going to serve no purpose at all for you ..

BTW using your method on your sample 'before' I saw no discernible difference.. and did not get the bright yellow on the blouse as you did.. but that could well be because of the low resolution

On one of my pictures it did bring up a very subtle increase in saturation of the reds..

I did find that I had much better control and could fine tune the results better using the Midtone Luminosity masks

Soooo.... as to your first post in the thread

Quote:
I've been wanting to find a technique that would increase overall saturation, but in a good way (if that makes sense).
anyone like to comment / offer suggestions?
I guess I am just to Old and dense for it to make any sense to me.. so I will not clutter your thread with any more comments

Sorry I could be of no help to you... I do hope you get things worked out to your satisfaction and get better suggestions from the other members here

Good Luck! Peace Out!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
Sorry I could be of no help to you... I do hope you get things worked out to your satisfaction and get better suggestions from the other members here Good Luck! Peace Out!
As we all know there are more ways then one to skin a cat in Photoshop so creating a mid-tone mask may be the same as to what I am doing or what I am suggesting we get to. And sorry to sound as if I was shutting you out - I'm just antsy to learn something I don't already know or have light shed on a different area that's dark to me.

I guess at the end of the day my question would be is, what is a high-end way of increase saturation as oppose to just going into Hue/Saturation? Because we all know Photoshop was made so that we could break it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2009, 07:27 PM

I think you're missing a step in your description: You have to check Invert in your Apply Image window. Otherwise you get nothing but black (at least on my attempt at your technique).

If I'm following your steps correctly, all you're really doing is increasing saturation in the mid to highlight areas. If that's the case, you could simply duplicate a channel and darken the shadows and use that as your saturation mask.

You might play with duplicating a channel and Solarizing it, then using that as your saturation mask. This will basically allow you to isolate mid tones.

The "high-end" way to increase saturation is to use Curves, which requires a good understanding of color.

Scott
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2009, 10:44 PM

Would you use Curves with the mask you are talking about to increase saturation.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2009, 02:58 AM

If you have Photoshop you can install the HSB/HSL filter, it's made for the job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HSB.jpg (42.9 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2009, 04:55 AM

Im doing the steps of the luminocity mask from the goodlight.us site, and having some trouble with creating the mid masks. When i subtract light lights with dark darks, i get a darker mask on the expandend midtone mask compared to the basic midtones which should be lighter. What am i doing wrong?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2009, 05:45 AM

Why not use LAB? There you have luminosity and color information separated and can use a HS-Layer with no problem.
In CS4 you have - like in Bridge - a vibrance available. Would that solve your problems?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2009, 08:44 AM

Maybe im the odd man out on this, but I always find myself wanting to desaturate images more than saturate them...there's something about a saturated image that my eye's don't enjoy...maybe a wee touch of vibrance here and there...but i've always thought that the human eye responds better to a neutral earthy toned image than that of a super saturated image...unless of course that's what you're going for.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domis View Post
Im doing the steps of the luminocity mask from the goodlight.us site, and having some trouble with creating the mid masks. When i subtract light lights with dark darks, i get a darker mask on the expandend midtone mask compared to the basic midtones which should be lighter. What am i doing wrong?
He made an action for all of his masks... they are extremely cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaJoa View Post
Why not use LAB? There you have luminosity and color information separated and can use a HS-Layer with no problem.
In CS4 you have - like in Bridge - a vibrance available. Would that solve your problems?
I guess I could go in and try that, I actually thought about it, but I always feel like things have to be a more complicated process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrisOne View Post
Maybe im the odd man out on this, but I always find myself wanting to desaturate images more than saturate them...there's something about a saturated image that my eye's don't enjoy...maybe a wee touch of vibrance here and there...but i've always thought that the human eye responds better to a neutral earthy toned image than that of a super saturated image...unless of course that's what you're going for.
Yes Drisone, there's a style for a desaturated look and a saturated look. I particularly have a client that wants a very vibrant and saturated look (involving product) so I just want to make sure I'm approaching color from the right perspective.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching