RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Losing Business

Old 07-08-2009, 08:43 AM

Losing Business

Hey guys (and gals),

I’m a first time poster here and I’m finding my way around a bit. I have a huge favor to ask of you, though.

I’m a portrait photographer that recently opened my doors in central KY. I thin my retouching skills are okay for the portrait world, at least my mentor says as much. I’m working on the D&B thing now. There is one thing that bothers me though. I get a lot of people asking if I do photos like one particular guy around here. So, like any student and professional I took a look at his stuff. It’s nothing spectacular (like mine) but it has a really cool look to it. I’m sad to say that I’ve actually lost work to him. While this is all well and good and keeps the economy rolling...well...I want that business. lol

I was wondering if someone could help me out by giving me a workflow for this, link to a tutorial, or link to a video. I’d like to learn how he does it so I can somehow meld it with my own way of doing things and then come up with something even more attractive. So, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

If this is just a version of “The Look” as it is called here, or the Dave Hill style then say so and I’ll go my own way with my tail between my legs. lol I've posted some examples on here. I don't know how well they will look as they have to be less than 100kb...but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking pity on a noob. :o)

~gmanfive0
~~~~

Edit:

Photos were deleted due to issues that might arise from posting them. They were not my photos and I retained no copyright to them.

Last edited by gmanfive0; 07-08-2009 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Trying to delete.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2009, 09:27 AM

Re: Losing Business

It's definitely not "the look" or "Dave Hill". Those styles are marked by over-baked post processing bordering on illustration. What you are showing is simply using light to isolate the subject from his environment predominantly by making the subject brighter than the foreground/background.

Use lights and/or light modifiers (bounce cards, etc) aimed at the subject when shooting. In PS use the masking/selection method of choice to select everything but your subject, then use the darkening method of choice to darken it.

Or is there something more subtle I'm missing here?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2009, 10:11 AM

I agree with the previous post. The images have been enhanced greatly in Photoshop or some other program. Child1.jpg has a strong dark vignette (not to take away fromt he really good photograph), some other plug-ins may have been run on this photo. As far as Tom1.jpg, the same applyies. He added a vignette pretty much as the first photo and then used some plug-ins to sharpen the image and provide more detail. Again - both photographs were probably 99% good photographs to begin with. I would suggest that you look at some plug-ins for photoshop to reproduce the same effects (yes! there are more than just one effect applied to these images) Also look in youtube and find "photoshopmama" and look for rembrant look tutorial. She has a good tutorial on how to achieve a look VERY similar to the ones in these photographs.

Hope this helped!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2009, 01:16 PM

Very good portrait photographs,
a fair bit of visual stimulation, the photographer has a good eye and knows the props / backdrops that suit the subject, i like the enhancement of the eyes on child1 the wide aperture blurring the wheel and may be some darkening there also makes the subject pop!
Not really difficult to achieve, just requires patience.
Tom1, i think there is something going on with creative flash there if you look at the shadows, Lucis sculpture or a similar plug in will bring out the detail on his trousers, the brickwork and stone steps behind the subject and using the history brush you can fade or normalise stuff you dont want over-detailed like his face... thats how i would do it anyway... again the things that make these portraits stand out are the wheel, the steps and the expression of the child,
regards,
Gary..
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanfive0 View Post
I get a lot of people asking if I do photos like one particular guy around here. So, like any student and professional I took a look at his stuff.

I've posted some examples on here. I don't know how well they will look as they have to be less than 100kb...but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking pity on a noob. :o)

~gmanfive0
Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends. Poke around, ask questions, offer help, have fun!

I keep telling new people to the forum to please attach an under 100K version of your image to the thread (so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links).
BUT, in this case I think a link to the samples would be preferred instead of the photos.... especially if they belong to another photographer...
As per the FAQs:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What about Copyrights and Likeness Rights?
This isn't a legal guide, just a brief summary about posting here. We aim to follow United States copyright and likeness rights laws, and it's your responsibility to make sure your uploaded images are within those laws. If in doubt, check http://www.copyright.gov.
Copyrighted images cannot be posted without explicit permission from the copyright owner. "Someone put it up on the web" does NOT count as explicit permission.

Public domain images can be posted (this usually means at least 70 years old, or formally released into the public domain by the copyright owner) assuming you have permission of anyone recognizable in the image (or their estate if they have been dead less than 50 years).

Images you own can be posted by you if you have permission of anyone recognizable in the image. Posting your image here does not mean you surrender copyright, but it does mean you give permission for other users to retouch the image and upload here, unless you explicitly state otherwise at the time of uploading.

Images you don't own can be posted if permission is explicitly given by both the owner of the image and any recognizable person in the image.

Celebrity images or random images from Google or anywhere else on the internet cannot be posted unless explicit permission from both the photographer and the subject has been obtained.

Changing a copyrighted image in any way does not remove it from copyright.

Pieces of copyrighted images, no matter how small, retain their copyright and all the same rules apply.

"Fair use" and parody protection are problematic to define, but to be safe lets assume neither apply here.

You are responsible for obtaining any necessary permissions for images you upload, and you are liable should anyone choose to enforce their copyright or likeness rights.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I see some wide angle distortion in the Tom pic with a hard and soft strobe... the child pic is just a good composition which is also close to using the thirds rule. The previous posters have pretty well covered the techniques used in the shoot and in post
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2009, 07:03 PM

Thanks to everyone that posted. Now I feel better about finding out how to do this! I appreciate the feedback and how fast it came.
~~

Ol Baldy, I’m sorry. I should have explained that Tom is a very close friend of mine. We actually go to college together and he did give me permission to download and use his images. They were actually taken from Tom’s Facebook profile so links wouldn’t provide much help to people (I thought). I’ll provide links next time, though.

I should have also posted that these photos are not mine and I do not retain any copyright permissions other than what was given to me by Tom to use here. I know it’s a sticky situation when it comes to photos and intellectual property and I should have thought about this before I posted the photos. I’m truly sorry. This will not happen again.

How do I take them down/delete the thread so no further problems occur?
~~~~

Again, thank you to everyone that provided feedback!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanfive0 View Post
Thanks to everyone that posted. Now I feel better about finding out how to do this! I appreciate the feedback and how fast it came.
~~

Ol Baldy, I’m sorry. I should have explained that Tom is a very close friend of mine. We actually go to college together and he did give me permission to download and use his images. They were actually taken from Tom’s Facebook profile so links wouldn’t provide much help to people (I thought). I’ll provide links next time, though.

I should have also posted that these photos are not mine and I do not retain any copyright permissions other than what was given to me by Tom to use here. I know it’s a sticky situation when it comes to photos and intellectual property and I should have thought about this before I posted the photos. I’m truly sorry. This will not happen again.

How do I take them down/delete the thread so no further problems occur?
~~~~

Again, thank you to everyone that provided feedback!
No problems.. and thanks for your understanding.. Although, If you had permission then that's a completely different story and would probably be OK to post the pictures...

Seeing as how he is a friend of yours, it leaves me to ponder as to why not just ask him the questions you asked here? We would just be guessing and he could give you definitive answers and might even help you achieve a good outcome.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2009, 11:52 PM

The guy that was modeling for the photos is my friend, Tom. I've known him for something like 7 years. He couldn't help me with anything. I already asked him and he was pretty lost. So I asked him to post them here to see if I could figure it out. He (the model) said it was okay so I did. I didn't even think about the photographer.

The photographer (Ben) that took the photos isn't my "friend." We are friendly competitors and neither one of use tells the other how we do things. Keeps things interesting and being so close in age and proximity we compete for the same clientèle. I'm trying to get a leg up as I'm sure he is too.

But yeah, I never even thought about it in terms of the photographer. I go to such lengths to protect my own stuff but I completely overstepped that line with him. I would have had a problem with it if someone had done it to me so I sent him a "sorry" email.

Boo Me. :o(
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2009, 05:12 AM

Got a link to the photos?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2009, 10:16 AM

@ CaptainHook

This is Tom:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/ph...1&id=500230561
Reply With Quote top