RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Going to try this again....

Old 07-09-2009, 12:18 PM

Going to try this again....

My last post isn't allowing anyone to respond and won't let me edit. I'm posting this again in hopes that it does this time!

Titled "Increasing resolution for print?"

...a bad idea??

I've decided to enter the world of stock photography and sell my photos as greeting cards, etc. on various websites. Unfortunately, I've saved my images to jpeg at 150 dpi. I see that most sites require larger, 300 res for quality printing. I have several that I took in RAW but of course, I converted to jpeg with the lower res, without thinking about how I might use them in the future. I have spent hours in PS editing pics to get them exactly how I want them. I'm quite the perfectionist, which is frustrating. I absolutely hate the thought of starting over!

I'd like to know if I can increase the resolution rather than starting from scratch. I understand that I will lose quality (some sites say they will reject them if res is increased the quality suffers) but I'm taking it up from 150 to 300. Will it make a noticeable difference? Also, are HDR photos out of the question?

I have Photoshop CS4 and wonder if anyone can tell me about the bicubic smoother and if this is the way to go. I have yet to read up on it but see that it is an option. I also get a little confused about the cropping size. I've been cropping my pics as 5X7s mostly, but some as 4X6s and 8X10s, depending on the composition. Will saving as 8X10 become a possible problem?

Thanks so much. I always appreciate your help and advice!!

jane
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2009, 12:32 PM

Re: Going to try this again....

from my understanding u want to keep your pixel dimension intact. if u wanna change the size/resolution, better uncheck resample image.

Last edited by d00dle; 07-10-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2009, 12:37 PM

Yes, I want to keep the pixel dimensions intact, for I don't want to lose quality. I don't understand what you mean by unchecking resample image. Basically, am I doomed and I have to start all over again?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2009, 12:48 PM

no. ur fine if u don't alter any pixel dimension. u shouldn't have to deal w/ any of this. they can always change resolution when print.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (46.2 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by d00dle; 07-09-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2009, 01:11 PM

Thanks so much! This is what I wanted.

Here's the original dimensions of one of my photos.

643 X 900
print size 4X6
150 dpi

When I checked "resample image" and changed the dpi to 300, it gave me this (double)...
1286 X 1800
print size 4X6
300 dpi

GREAT, but aren't the pixel dimensions on the lower end for high quality printing? Would this be acceptable for stock? What would be the largest size I could print w/o losing quality? How would an 11X14 look?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2009, 01:13 PM

don't check resample image. your pixel dimension should stay @643 X 900.

@150 is fine for poster, banner, etc. @300 for letter size.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2009, 01:25 PM

Oh man, I know this is so simple and I'm just making things complicated. I'm sorry, for I missunderstood you. Okay, DON'T check resample. So, the height and width decreased but the pixel dimension stayed the same. If I'm mistaken, that's too low for them to accept because of the number of pixels, no? I'm just going by the guidelines that one of the sites gives.....

File sizes: the bigger, the better. 300 dpi 5" x 7" is optimal. 640x480 images are not usable by most graphic artists. All files should be 1200 x 1600 pixels minimum (anything smaller will be automatically rejected).

(sigh)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2009, 01:26 PM

Edit: rite. your pixel dimension is too low. the bigger, the better...i believe they're talkin 'bout pixels dimension which 1200 x 1600 is a minimum.

Last edited by d00dle; 07-09-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2009, 07:43 AM

You can resize your image. You can make it bigger all you like. You still have a problem though: your image was a fixed size at 150 dpi. You can put new values in the "resize image" box in PS, but you're not actually making your photo better. You're "creating" extra pixels that weren't there.
The quality of your image will suffer. You might be able to get away with it, but in the end your making a medium res image High res. This is not a good thing to do.

So put in whatever values you like.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2009, 09:06 AM

Hi Groovygirl, maybe this can help you to undertand what happens (I hope so !)
Resolution is a ratio, NOT a size. It is the same as to say "this town is 60 miles per hour from my home"! The real size of a picture is, and only is, the actual number of pixels. If you must print the file, you can calculate the resolution when you know the size of that particular print. So you can see for the same file, the resolution varies for each and every print size. If 300 dpi, for example, is asked, that make sense only if the size is also done.
My advice :
1. Consider only to the number of pixels and forget the resolution (except for particular prints)
2. Always save your final work in .psd at the "full" size, and made copies (the size you want) in jpg and you'll not loose your hard work anymore.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching