Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Request: Asian Model Skin Tan

Old 07-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Re: Request: Asian Model Skin Tan

Originally Posted by eswiig View Post
Credits goes to you of course.
No credit due... I am just trying to help.... there are other solutions to your problem like using curves.. but I will let someone else explain that process.

This is what I did:

1. Ctrl+J.. Duplicate Background
2. Ctrl+J.. Duplicate Background copy... change mode to Screen.
3. Ctrl+J.. Duplicate screen layer
4. Uncheck background eyeball to deselect it and hide from view
5. Shft+Ctrl+E merge visible (top three layers), create mask
5A. select background layer to make it visible then go back to the merged layer with mask and click on the mask to select it
I painted three different shades of gray + black on the mask...
Arm= 50% gray, (127,127,127)... chest/neck= light gray, (190,190,190)... hair ends and cloth on top of head= darker gray, (70,70,70)... background= black
6. Hold down Alt key, Select new Adjustment Layer, while still holding down the button... scroll to Hue/Saturation, release button... a dialog should popup... Check the box labeled 'Group with previous layer', click OK... select Yellows, lower Saturation to -77.
7. Create new adjustment Layer "levels". "null" = no changes. However, set layer mode to "Soft Light" and Opacity to 40%.
8. Shft+Ctrl+Alt+E.. combine all on a new layer **((This step is Not In the screen shot/Work Flow picture)(I forgot that I had moved it! sorry))*
9. Loosely selected the Iris of the eyes... Ctrl+J to put them on their own layer, sharpen to make them bright.. dodged the highlights and burned the dark pupils... create mask and paint black the mistakes from the selection
10. Shft+Ctrl+N.. Add new layer, paint the lips black, change to Soft light mode, 50% opacity, .
11. Shft+Ctrl+N.. Add new layer, fill with white, change mode to soft light, opacity 67%
12. Shft+Ctrl+Alt+E.. combine all on a new layer
13. Go to background layer, select, Ctrl+J, move the background copy to below the newly combined layer at top of stack
14. select top combined layer, add mask.. paint on mask with black on shirt to darken it
15. Shft+Ctrl+Alt+E.. combine all on a new layer... Ctrl+J copy layer
16. Noise reduction or soften skin... mask back in the hair from being to soft by painting black on mask
17. Shft+Ctrl+Alt+E.. combine all on a new layer

Originally Posted by eswiig View Post
I'm still curious are there more steps missing? Seems you can scroll up more in the last screen shot.
The rest of the steps are making the canvas wider and combining the images to present the side by side picture that has been removed

Hope this helps

Last edited by 0lBaldy; 07-12-2009 at 03:49 PM. Reason: added step 5A
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2009, 12:05 PM

Used my approch. then added some reduced opacity murged screen layers. Then some diffuse glow and a copy merge with gaussian blur (softlight blending). Played alot with reducing the opacity.

Lastly did some D&B.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg skin3-KA.jpg (90.9 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by igot2pman; 07-12-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2009, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
I wouldn't do that... unless it was for a joke or parody, something like worth1000 or something like that... I've made models slightly darker (Teen mags, summer editions) and slightly lighter (Shinny effect) but to change someone's ethnic .... I don't think so.

I wouldn't do it it either. It is just wrong. It is obvious that this woman is dealing with some racial self hate. Why would it matter how white she is in a photo when she is darker toned. Thats sad. Really sad and delusional. The fact that some of you would even do it, and by the way, almost all the attempts at lightening the skin look like crap so far, is crazy to me.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching