RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Super-clean beauty retouch

Old 07-15-2009, 01:42 AM

Re: Super-clean beauty retouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00dle View Post
i think u remove facial hair really well. how do u do it?
Lots of patch tool and clone stamp. Sometimes I used a reduce scratches filter set to a very low number and then a very tiny brush to paint the hairs out, but mostly patch tool.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedimples View Post
Lots of patch tool and clone stamp. Sometimes I used a reduce scratches filter set to a very low number and then a very tiny brush to paint the hairs out, but mostly patch tool.
It looks to selectively shinny... that's what u get when u use filters on skin.

U concentrate on the small details like hair and pores but u don't even notice she has a blotchy face now... skin doesn't have ONE imperfection but it looks shaggy... not firm.

While obvious flaws are still showing:

Neck lines - Still there...

Uneven light (in beauty symmetry is a MUST -go to an model agency with this and u get kicked out) And the difference between shadows and highlights is too rough, u need a better transition.

Eyelashes - look messy on the right side and nonexistent in the left.

Brows - Not even

Mouth - u added a bum that doesn't follow the line of it.

STRAYS- the "white" hairs that cross the original flow of tha hair need to be taken out.

Nose: Still crooked

Hair on face: This is only a personal (REALLY personal opinion) but if u remove every little hair she looks like a doll... sometimes that peach fur makes an image more interesting.

anyway - good luck on the review!

xx
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2009, 01:29 PM

Yes I agree with all that. "selectively shiny" - I think it looks straightforward blurred. Patch tool on skin is a no-no.

Tommy's right about the hairline - no ones forehead is that narrow unless they have had a 19th century style lobotomy operation at some point . If anything the hairline needs to be brought slightly higher not lower. I don't like the dodging on the bottom lip- it gives it an unnatural edge. The before image - the basic structure of the models face is fine, after the nose has been straightened, and doesn't need to be slimmed. The greasiness of the hair desperately needs to be retouched to make it look like a better product has been used, and the eyeshadow COLOR same applies.

The positive thing I can think of to say - your general approach to recoloring would work if you get the rest of the image sorted.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2009, 02:21 PM

Wow, I really appreciate how much time you guys put into your critique posts.

Godmother

Wow, I learned so much from your post. I really read it carefully and I'll try to avoid making those mistakes again. I am having a little trouble understanding what you mean about the symmetry of the lighting. Would you mind pointing out which area in particular needs work in the image?

Markzebra
Thanks for taking the time to comment, and I see what you and Tommy mean about the hairline now, and I didn't even consider altering the "greasiness" of the hair. I'll start standing back first, figuring out what I need to alter and what looks fine as is.

Although it makes me feel like shit as a retoucher, this thread has taught me more about retouching than I've learned in the last few months. I've been really busy lately, but I'm going to redo the picture and apply everyone's advice when I get a chance. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2009, 04:16 PM

I've done the skin over again, mind telling me what's wrong with it?

I'm still have to tackle the hair.

LARGE SIZE: http://a3.vox.com/6a0110184cd071860f011018509c8b860f-pi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mmm.jpg (98.8 KB, 240 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2009, 05:16 PM

skin tone doesn't look even. I see white spots (probably from dodge) all over her face. ok, her eye browns shouldn't they be like thicker @the beginning?

Last edited by d00dle; 07-17-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2009, 05:34 PM

Hmm.. I'll take a closer look at the white spots, although I didn't do much detail dodging.

You're right about eyebrows usually being thicker at the base, and I definitely think it needs work here.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I've done the skin over again, mind telling me what's wrong with it?
Yes - you blurred it. There's smokiness all over it. An obvious semi-opaque airbrushing or blurring. There are some areas with a complete loss of texture. And that's not anything to do with dodge and burn. Sorry
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2009, 11:56 PM

Mike,
Obviously, you have spent a lot of time on the image with good results on symmetry, hair, skin, etc. However, I was both concerned and intrigued by the various comments on the skin. I have also wondered what your workflow and technique have been in dealing with the skin. So, I finally took the time to look a little closer, real close, at the skin.

While the overall appearance is fine to many of us who are less involved day to day with high end retouch, I can see where it may not be so acceptable to those who are high end retouchers. This would explain the variety of feedback. But, here is why I say that.

Whatever techniques you are using, it becomes apparent when looking very close, that the techniques are blended and are allowing imperfections to slip through, that would not slip through a solely d&b technique. I don't say this as criticism, but rather as an observation. Hence, the higher end retouchers who will (and do) look really close at the skin find this unacceptable.

For example, see the images I've attached.
Image 1: The skin imperfection in the before (top in blue), would not have gotten through a d&b session to the after, as it did (below).
Image 2: The cloning of some rather large areas is evident in the after image.
Image 3: Some artifacts/blemishes that did not exist in the original (top) suddenly show up in the after (below).

So, as part of your workflow, you may have to decide at what level you are going to operate on a particular image. If doing one for high end work, you may not be able to use this blended technique/approach. It will not pass the stringent critique of other high end retouchers. However, if the image is not to be used that way, fine. Submit is as such and let us know. It will pass the critique of a beauty retouch and may even be too much.

Anyway, I hope you find this useful. Don't feel like you have to reveal more about your workflow, just adjust it a bit for the image and your audience. Thanks for posting this image; it has been a good experience for us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (196.2 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (163.9 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (199.1 KB, 184 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2009, 12:52 AM

The technique I'm trying to get perfect involves separating the low and high frequency of the image, then cloning in the high frequency and blurring the low frequency. I'm sure I haven't gotten it perfect yet, but that's because I haven't gotten the ratio perfect yet during the frequency separation stage.

There was no dodge and burning involved in the second retouch, in fact it took me about 15 minutes for the skin clearing segment (obviously should have spent longer), then I had some fun with coloring. I'm trying to perfect a quick alternative to dodge and burn. I've gotten it to a level I'm happy with in lower resolution images but that's not good enough. I'm going to continue to refine the technique and try again, if you don't mind. If you want to read more about frequency separation, check out the thread that started it all! http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=439098

I really appreciate the in-depth critique you've given me Tommy, it helps me TREMENDOUSLY. I absolutely want my work to be Amy Dresser level, and I appreciate you pointing out the problems that keep it from being the best, however small. Please be as nitpicky as possible and continue to tell me when it wouldn't pass at the top level. Thanks!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching