Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The Look?

Old 07-15-2009, 02:04 PM
The Look?

There seems to be a lot of discussion around here about Dave Hill and his techniques. Has anyone actually emailed him and asked how he does it?

My background is in Illustration, and I don't know what Hill's background is but to my eye they seem more like illustrations (with photography and Photoshop as the medium) along the lines of Braldt Bralds, Mark Fredrickson and Jerry Lofaro. They all have "a" look, I wouldn't necessarily call any style "the" look.

If this forum was a Photoshop or Photography class at a top art school, right now the teacher would be saying, "Okay, we all appreciate Dave Hill. Now let's move on." While Hill's work is very, very cool and worth dissecting, it's his signature style. Assuming you have aspirations to be a professional photographer, why not develop your own style and let everyone else try to figure out how YOU did it? Otherwise, you risk hearing the following from your potiential clients: "If I want Dave Hill, I'll call Dave Hill."

Maybe that sounds harsh, but it's the reality in the creative professional world whether you're a photographer, illustrator, textile designer, apparel designer, pastry chef, whatever. You're selling something, and that something is your creative vision.

Or, you can be like me and help others achieve their creative visions. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain . . .

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching