Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

A D&B Retouch, Advice?

Old 07-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Re: A D&B Retouch, Advice?

Wow I didn't expect to get this much response. Thanks everyone!

I know the neck and hair isn't great, I was getting kind of frustrated at the way the face was turning out and never quite made it that far. When I was working zoomed in I was happy but when I'd zoom out it looked so flat.

Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
Try to make a distinction between TEXTURE, and natural tone - the way that light describes the forms. Far too much overall, but you have completely annihilated form.
That's exactly what I need to do, pay more attention to the way the light is defining the face and make sure I maintain and enhance that. I'm happy with how the skin itself turned out, it's just the dimension of the face I'm not happy with.

Originally Posted by Calbeee View Post
oh i got a question, what should i set the hardness for the brush just to be safe?
I really followed Nienna's lead from her tutorial vids, I'd use a brush with about 20% flow, I went with 0% hardness then 15-25% opacity.

Originally Posted by namphoto View Post
At first I thought it was just the stare of the model that was so blank that made me think hmm this is weird.. but then after my accident I saw it (it's still a blank stare but its a great retouch), it was the mouth. you have no drop shadow underneath the lips and loose definition of the chin and lips. Other than that, it's a great retouch.
This was a sister of a friend I was doing pictures of and in a lot of them there seemed be some slight disconnect with the eyes, almost like she was looking just real slightly to one side of the camera. I agree 100% there needs to be a bit of a shadow under the lip.

Originally Posted by namphoto View Post
Some other things I would say is in the color layer, I wouldn't recommend doing it the way you do, it just isn't very accurate IMO. Create a curve layer in color mode, adjust the separate channels to get the tone you're lookin' for.
I'll try this next time, I've never tried doing it like that.

Thanks for all the comments I really appreciate them. I'm on holidays next week so I'll try doing up a few more pictures and putting some of this into practice.

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2009, 06:25 PM
Re: A D&B Retouch, Advice?

nice work, a little too over the top, but very well done none the less. I downoaded the psd file, pulled back on a few of your layers and it was much more natural looking. I agree with godmother, that you must keep some freckles in the mix along with the neck and some hair work.

The hardest part of becoming a pro is restraint, and not making it to slick, which is an amateur mistake. I used to do it all the time....ha!

You definetly have a good eye for detail, keep up the good work and just pull it back a tad. It is not always easy, believe me I know, I have been doing this professionally for many years in LA.

I like to let the image "brew" for a while before I look at it again after the retouch and submit it for approval to the client. It will give you a new perspective on the image, but then again it is up to what they want!

Hope this helps.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching