RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

d&b and hue/saturation shifts

Old 07-24-2009, 09:03 AM

d&b and hue/saturation shifts

Hello all,

I understand the how and why of the D&B technique for retouching skin but one of the problems that I have is the h & s shifts I get when using it. burning the highlights de-saturates the color (almost grey) and dodging the shadows saturates them too much (pinkish red). I am not being too heavy handed with it either... I'm just using enough to even out the tones.

twitch1977's thread is a prime example of NOT having H & S shifts and I can't wrap my head around why.

Thanks in advance
Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2009, 10:08 AM

Re: d&b and hue/saturation shifts

A question I've wondered myself. Would love to hear from some of the experts here...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2009, 02:16 PM

depends how you DB. if you're using the contrast modes (overlay, soft light, etc.) and combine it with a gray layer, try using the eye dropper and collecting dark and light shades from that area (for example if the skin then sample some of the shadow and some of the highlights) and so you still retain some of the color.

Another method, is to use luminosity curves. create a dark curve and light curve, mask the layer, and use the luminosity mask. This in theory should only affect the luminosity of a given area, but too much will again show signs of hue and sat shifts. If you do see shifts in these areas, you can go again and create a new hue sat layer, set it to color, mask everything but the areas where there are hue sat shifts and fix them by shifting them back to what they should be.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2009, 02:36 PM

You always get some hue/saturation problems if you need to change the values too much. Normally you don't need to change it too much, you only need to make blemishes less obvious. Equalize everything and you get the same effect as a blur tool. For very obvious blemishes that need a lot of adjustment, the clone tool or healing brush is a better option.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2009, 03:39 PM

i always do d&b with dark and light curves. if there is a colour shift i either change the mode to luminosity or leave it at normal and adjust the individual channels to get the colour i need. i never understood the apparent advantage of doing d&b with gray layer...

also, if you do it with curves you can always go back and increase/decrease the curve itself which you can't do so easily with a gray layer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2009, 04:18 PM

Learn your Curves that's the answer - desat is generally achieved by pulling red out and blue in. For speed you can also clip (command option G i mean) hue/sat or selective color layers to your curves.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2009, 06:04 PM

I personally us the Softlight layer and 50% grey.
You guys have any tricks for switching between the 2 curve layers rapidly
I always found it a PITA to bounce between both as I like to do D&B at the same time in the area and pressing the X key is really easy to do when breezing through an area.
Thanks for and ideas for switching fast between both curve sets. If there is.

Felix
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2009, 06:56 PM

If you use a grey layer you can also make advantage of the luminosity-mode by creating a new adjustment layer (don't change any of the values) and set its mode to "Luminosity". After that clip the grey layer to this adjustment layer so it will only affect the luminosity (at least that's the theory behind it).
To change quickly between two layers you can use shortcuts as well, [Alt]+[]] for the next layer, [Alt]+[[] for the previous layer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Patron

Well there is another option.
Using a 50% gray layer overlayed in RGB very quickly distorts the color, the shadows become plugged very quickly and the highlights get blown out.
Curves gives you more control but sometimes shaping the right curve for the image can be tricky because a standard center arc does not always get the right brightness or darkness across the image where it needs to be.

Have you tried converting the image to LAB color. Then use a 50% Gray layer set to overlay or one of the 5 neutral blend modes and use 10% opacity brushes to D&B. In LAB mode only the Lightness is affected, the color channels are not modified. You can dodge and burn to your hearts content without ruining the image. See examples below. 1st attachment is orig image, 2nd is Gray layer overlay in RGB, 3rd is Gray layer overlay in LAB.

Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orig.jpg (152.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg RGB Dodge + Burn.jpg (160.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg LAB Dodge + Burn.jpg (172.4 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by mistermonday; 07-24-2009 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Added Image Description
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2009, 04:12 AM

Tip for anyone with a lot of D&B to do using softlight 50% grey method; reconfigure your tablet pen side switch to X. To allow über quick switching of colours. Meaning you can sit back and work one handed! Woooooo!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching