RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Advertising for your Pro Retouching Service?

Old 07-25-2009, 06:16 PM

Advertising for your Pro Retouching Service?

Hi All,

I am a professional retoucher based in LA. Up until 2 years ago I worked as a senior retoucher for a large Motion Picture / Record Company publicity photo lab. The Lab was sold to a land developer along with several other businesses around us for a new Mall! Sadly, the owner did not relocate the business, he just took the money, and said, goodbye guys.

Fortunately, though my reputation at the lab, I was able to keep two major clients. I still do work for them to this day at my home studio which is nice.
No advertising or even a website was required to secure these clients. So that was easy.

I have a new retouching showcase site that I am still working on, and will be done soon, so I was wondering, after I have it done, how do I advertise my services to potential clients.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. I am a professional retoucher and I do not undercut prices, which damages our industry and livelihood, like so many of these stupid $10.00 retouching sites do.

I will save that rant for another thread...that drives me crazy!

I hope that this is an appropriate question for this forum.

Thanks for your time,

Jeff
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2009, 06:50 PM

Re: Advertising for your Pro Retouching Service?

craigslist? there's a section for work/job here too. you could probably make a tutorial (since ur pro and all) to get some hits on your website.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2009, 08:06 PM

Wow! Thanks so much for the info. Craigslist.....cool!!! I did not even think about that "option"! Maybe I will make a tutorial on how not to be an A-hole.....I will send you a link!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm100 View Post
Wow! Thanks so much for the info. Craigslist.....cool!!! I did not even think about that "option"! Maybe I will make a tutorial on how not to be an A-hole.....I will send you a link!
wow, such rage!
If you don't like the response don't be violent about it. Seems like you're looking for a holly grail for business marketing and promotion.

Nobody has the "how to manual" on this and there's no recipe that works for everyone. You can start by asking your clients if they have any related contacts that would be interested in your work, seems that if they like to work with you on a regular basis they can help you with contacts as well. You could also start looking for photographers in your area that would be interested in your retouching services, there is also the "blunt way" and start "cold calling" prospective clients directly. As I said there's no sure recipe for this, you've got to start somewhere.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2009, 09:34 PM

I am sorry for my comments to you doodle, please accept my apology, I am wound up so tight right now, I thought that you were just giving me some BS and being sarcastic. I am Sorry for my outburst.

cuervo79,

thanks for your info and insight. I have gotten a few referrals from my main clients that have been good, but are just usually one time deal.

I will definetly look into soliciting to pro photogs and design firms.

That was my main question, a cold call or a a cold e-mail...how to make it effective to a new client?

Thanks,
Jeff
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2009, 02:33 AM

A cold call IMO works better than a cold email. Besides the cold call is for contacting the client looking for who's in charge and making an appointment. You've got more options if you talk to the client personally than sending an email and hope that the client contacts you. After you've got the client info (email, who's in charge) then send the email, if you don't get an appointment with the client always stay current in his/her mind and send the email...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2009, 09:46 AM

You might try social networking sites like LinkedIn, Facebook, Myspace, etc. Also elance.com is a good place to try outsourcing. Our studio uses Facebook and has great results with their targeted marketing. I just saw an ad from a very well know photographer looking for a graphic designer.

Good luck
Vicki
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2009, 12:26 PM

One thing that works for me as a photographer, is sending out a e-mail Promo with one or a few picture with my logo(Nice graphic design). When the persone view this if they click anywhere on the page it brings them automaticly to my site. Once you send the e-mail you need to call them back 24 to 48 hours after so they still remember you. It's a good way to intruduce yourself. then you can see if they have need's if they would like to set up a meeting to show your work... you ask them if you can put them on your mailing list so you can send them a new promo when you update your site. it's a lot of time spent on the phone but if you target your client's well it can be very effective.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2009, 01:09 AM

I try not to use those kinds of emails because when I receive them 1 my mail program blocks images 2 I just delete them since they're not asking for me. I try to send less emails like that if I can't personalize it to the client and even then its a numbers game since you don't get 1 on 1 responses. I have found that calling and actually talking to the person gets a better response
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2009, 06:26 AM

Id blog for starters , as much as that can be mind numbing at times and maybe even Twit for the hell of it , copy and paste to a couple of blogs mentioning who you are as the 3rd person.

Maybe get a PR whizz to do you a good Blurb that you can push out to some new clients and studio's for extra work.

Hope this gives you something to run with
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching