RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Retouch Help

Old 07-29-2009, 09:15 AM

Retouch Help

Hey, this is my first time actually posting a thread. I've been reading other's threads for a while now, and you guys are great!

My question is this....How can I soften the transition from the shadows on the left and right jaw to the lighter part of the cheeks. Right now, its just a hard line and its really bugging me. Anyway, though you guys could help. I am also the photographer so I can post the high res if anyone needs it to help me out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0020-1-Edit.jpg (97.8 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2009, 09:21 AM

Re: Retouch Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosexclusive View Post
Hey, this is my first time actually posting a thread. I've been reading other's threads for a while now, and you guys are great!

My question is this....How can I soften the transition from the shadows on the left and right jaw to the lighter part of the cheeks. Right now, its just a hard line and its really bugging me. Anyway, though you guys could help. I am also the photographer so I can post the high res if anyone needs it to help me out.
Check if u have enough info on the raw file.

Do another conversion pushing the shadows, mask it in (As close as u can)

Then heal the edges.

xx
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2009, 09:52 AM

^^^I should have specified that this image that I posted is already in the retouching process, so should I darken the retouched image and try to mask that in? I can't seem to get a natural color for the shadow...Only like a kind of dark brown.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
^^^I should have specified that this image that I posted is already in the retouching process, so should I darken the retouched image and try to mask that in? I can't seem to get a natural color for the shadow...Only like a kind of dark brown.
I know that... Open the raw AGAIN - do a different conversion of the SAME file (Lighter MUCH LIGHTER - probably everything will be blown out, but it doesn't matter because u need the info from THAT area alone), open that conversion in photoshop, place it on top of your retouching and use the information from that conversion in your WIP using mask to mask out everything but THAT area.

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2009, 11:02 AM

^^^Thanks, it worked....I will post the result soon...Is that how you normally handle shadows? Also, if you could give me any other pointers on this image, that would be great! Like now that I've dodged and burned, seems like most of the texture is gone, any way I can add some back to have that sharp skin look? Would you like to see the original?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
^^^Thanks, it worked....I will post the result soon...Is that how you normally handle shadows? Also, if you could give me any other pointers on this image, that would be great! Like now that I've dodged and burned, seems like most of the texture is gone, any way I can add some back to have that sharp skin look? Would you like to see the original?
Since u asked

http://www.nataliataffarel.com/uasked.jpg

I think the hair doesn't add anything to the image so I'd recommend a closer crop that focuses on the creative make up

Also the lack of neck is never good so I manipulated that also.

I don't think u should bring texture back, I even think u should continue D&B - I did some more on the more obvious "Blotchynes"

The BG in my opinion should be cooler to fit the Make up and the colors enhanced a bit since she is androgynous enough as it is.

The eyelashes... I have some thoughts about being grayish-white but what ever the tone is, they need a little curl.

Don't hate me...

x

PS: I like the image, I wouldn't have taken the time to do this if I wouldn't.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2009, 12:55 PM

^^^No no, I like where you are headed with this. In fact, I had already cropped it in tighter to remove the hair the same exact way you did. I'm quite new to beauty retouching and shooting beauty period, so any advice I can get is good for me.

To curl the lashes, was that just the liquify tool? Thanks...You are helping a LOT.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
^^^No no, I like where you are headed with this. In fact, I had already cropped it in tighter to remove the hair the same exact way you did. I'm quite new to beauty retouching and shooting beauty period, so any advice I can get is good for me.

To curl the lashes, was that just the liquify tool? Thanks...You are helping a LOT.
Eyelashes - in a new empty layer use a very small brush with the smudge tool mode: Normal Strength: from 85 to 100 Clicked: Sample All Layers

Draw the eyelashes

Then u can add some noise to this layer, blur it a bit, then USM and maybe lower the opacity a bit... basically once u've drawed them u can do what u please.

xx
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2009, 01:32 PM

^^^Thanks, your D&B skills are good!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
^^^Thanks, your D&B skills are good!
Thank u

Who did the make up? And where i she - he from?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching