RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

i'm just amazed with this...

Old 07-30-2009, 01:45 PM

Re: i'm just amazed with this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305 View Post
The Guy is incredible talented.. and that is the bottom line.
No photoshop.
His lighting is Masterly and anybody saying otherwise is belittling themselves.

He combines different color temperatures and Gels to achieve a well thought out and well balanced image.
Kudos to him for being so talented and putting out images like that.
And Thnaks to the poster because I have never seen this guy before and his portfolio is OUTSTANDING to say the least!!

Get over, It is not all photoshop.. I am sick and tired of hearing people give credit to Photoshop.
This guys images are stellar, well thought out, and he obviuosly working wih VERY talented people including the whole crew!
Photoshop is something people in here are looking to for the answer which is sad.

Snook

Or you can beleive the know it all Godmother and do it all by RAW like she has obviuosly Done.. That is Great trick she let you in on..

err.... I meant FROM the raw...with no editing.

I've seen raw files like that, not everything is Photoshop.

xx
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305 View Post
The Guy is incredible talented.. and that is the bottom line.
No photoshop.
His lighting is Masterly and anybody saying otherwise is belittling themselves.

He combines different color temperatures and Gels to achieve a well thought out and well balanced image.
Kudos to him for being so talented and putting out images like that.
And Thnaks to the poster because I have never seen this guy before and his portfolio is OUTSTANDING to say the least!!
you're welcome snook

and yes, he's a total lightning genius. he combines colors with an amazing taste and the LOCATIONS look spectacular with the girl's stylish and make up. Locations are underrated sometimes on fashion/editorial photography in my opinion, but with a good planing is not so hard make something cool. the problem is this gentleman makes all BRILLIANT. and i'm totally motivated and inspired with his portfolio.

talking about retouching, i'm pretty sure he uses postprocessing just for adjustments. look at this pics:

http://brunodayan.com/pics/fas2/fas2_23.jpg

^ legs? what is that noisy-texture? are in some of his photos

look at this too on the face:

http://brunodayan.com/pics/fas4/fas4_24.jpg

--

http://brunodayan.com/pics/fas4/fas4_29.jpg
http://brunodayan.com/pics/fas4/fas4_27.jpg

^ on this latest photos he used a gradient as well.

the last thing i want to ask it's about this "film look":

http://brunodayan.com/pics/fas4/fas4_25.jpg

i just don't know if its cause the machine (almost sure he's using hasselblad or mamiya) or there's some texture/tip for make that.
im really curious.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHighway View Post
indeed, but i never said that bokeh effect was real, but i really like how is composed and introduced.
in my opinion is not a "hey you, look my spectacular skills", he save a really good taste for the light, the girls and the scenes. and when it's beauty, it's real-real look as hell.

that triangle is not welcome here haha. as said the post-processing is very good. no so much spectacular. just smooth and brilliant.

and you're welcome Quantum.

pd: by the way do you talk spanish?
Yeah, the pictures are very good, amazingly well composed, very creative and the scenarios are very, very dream-like. I saw almost all the portfolios from there, really interesting stuff. And yes, the shinny dots adds lot of dream effect to the scenes; a well done balance between art and fashion. Not spectacular, as you say, but quite appealing. I like that way, spectacular images tend to be too artificial and vanal for my taste, but I like those too. It's I just preffer more natural stuff

Yes, my mother languaje is spanish
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2009, 05:00 PM

Snook, I know high contrast images cannot be achieved through the camera unless using direct flash, but these pictures have a very smooth shade. Adding different light sources will also spread more light. It's impossible to get so deep blacks straight from the camera unless using direct flash or changing some parameters in the camera such contrast and brightness. Also, the black point of many of his pictures is quite raised, nothing that a camera can do. I don't know what about the gels, there are some colors spilled by reflection which makes me thing you're right about the colors. There are also pictures with some bleachpass/overlay effect with very deep shadows. I certainly think there is Photoshop or RAW Editing there, like always, but also good lighting set-ups, that's for sure.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2009, 05:07 PM

Yeah, Losthighway, I was attempting to mention the skin is flawless, but my repky to snook was about photography more than skin smoohting, yet your opinion is correct.

Mmmhhh... about the film look I may ask what film look? I certainly find quite good setting up the camera with very low saturation and low contrast (or high contrast too) with about 7000 and 10000 ºK in order to get something similar to that. I have shot some pics today looking for some color setups in-camera. Will post it, just let me download the pics from the camera.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3Studio View Post
Yeah, Losthighway, I was attempting to mention the skin is flawless, but my repky to snook was about photography more than skin smoohting, yet your opinion is correct.

Mmmhhh... about the film look I may ask what film look? I certainly find quite good setting up the camera with very low saturation and low contrast (or high contrast too) with about 7000 and 10000 ºK in order to get something similar to that. I have shot some pics today looking for some color setups in-camera. Will post it, just let me download the pics from the camera.
thanks Quantum.

about the film look i mean that soft sharp appealing around all the photo with a little bit grain. i have a 5D with L lenses, and even after retouching hours the look it's too "home made" you know? maybe it's my fault, i'm photographer and i usually retouch colors and lights but i'm still looking for a good contrast feeling on my retouching files.

i'll upload some on the next days too, i have around 600 raws for edition and i'm a little bit saturated lately and seeing portfolios like this one i feel small haha.

pd: spanish is my mother language too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2009, 05:33 PM

In-camera Settings:

Monochrome. ISO 500. Sharpening = 9. Contrast +3. Brightness +1.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...d/_DSC9102.jpg

Neutral. ISO 500. WB = 10000 ºK. Sharpening 1. Contrast +3. Brightness +1. Saturation -1. HUE = 0.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...d/_DSC8936.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...d/_DSC9046.jpg

Same Settings but saturation -2 or -3.

Vignetting off in all the pics.

I have another cool setting but the ambient light I have right now is not propper. I should adjust quite a lot the settings, but the effect is quite similar to pictures with selective desaturation.

These photos weren't edited, but with in-camera settings before shooting, not after. After the shoot I still can adjust the picture, but not in these pics.

Last edited by Quantum3Studio; 07-30-2009 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Missed a link
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2009, 05:50 PM

Hey Quantum I was not trying to say he does not use a little photoshop, What I was saying was Photoshop is not how the image was made and I guarantee you those images were pretty much spot on out of the camera with a few tweaks here and there.
Basically I was saying the guy is crazy talented and has a great cew woking with him. But that is obviuos to most professional and maybe not for 95% of the people that come in here.

That looks like E-6 film if you asked me for a film type look.. Or even 4x5.
Or atleast I would have done it on Kodacrome myself if I wanted those puchy contrasty colors.
Also he is using a lot of gradient filters most likely.
Snook
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2009, 06:37 PM

Of course, Snook. He has lot of talent, specially the way he mixes traditional stuff with digital stuff. I thought you were saying his work is pure camera and light set up, which is, of course, more than the post processing applied to the pictures. I would say 85-87% of his work is made in the traditional way, but it can be done all in PS too. However, something which cannot be edited is the framing and the composition. Well, with some photomontage you have an absolutely new composition, but obviously, this is not the case.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2009, 09:21 AM

how do you guys know that nothing was retouched? the images that are retouched the best are the ones that are less obviously retouched... I'm pretty sure there has been some post-pro on those images..
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching