RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

bw/tones etc etc : ) check it out!

Old 07-31-2009, 02:59 PM

Re: bw/tones etc etc : ) check it out!

for a image of 800pxl large i sharpen with high pass with 0,5pxl radius on softlight
sometimes i reduce opacity if needed

flat and blown highlights? sh*t :/

any tips?
for color management & general ?

thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2009, 08:06 PM

Ok that's a basic very low res sharpening that you are describing, and would not cause what I am seeing. I have no idea what on earth is going on at Flickr that could cause this, sounds like they are applying some over the top and damaging filtering to uploaded images.

Your 20 clarity in RAW - I would consider losing it, it can lead to an over-processed look. Just a personal view.

Like I said I think the color is strong in these, and don't have a problem with it. I think you are making good decisions about the coloring which are working. Maybe http://www.flickr.com/photos/gkayacan/3751255119/ - the sky needs a little work, its a bit flat? - don't TOUCH the color on it its fine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2009, 12:07 AM

First time I agree with Markzebra

I don't know how you get the contrast look, but I would mask out the blown areas. Some d&b would be useful to even the stains, product of posterization (which could be due the contrast or due the camera or ISO).
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2009, 03:47 AM

yes, on the almost there one i composited the sky :
i exposed my picture for the ground, not for the sky.
i shooted a couple of frames that i masked on it.

basically i do dodge/burn most of the time, i do not over contrast my pics (i think?) and shoot most of the time my 'flashed' pictures at 100-200ISO

so the clarity 20 would be a mess? good to know, i think im gonna loose it little by little then.

i'm still lookin how can i do some really cool masks.
i've got some cool, really clean ones when i use color range for masking.
or a channel. but tbh in the other cases i wacom a lot.

ow, sry, as english isnt my first language i'm totally feeling nuts with the 'blown areas' ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2009, 04:01 AM

I find in this particular pic: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gkayaca...n/photostream/ blown areas (when over contrasting, shadows and highlights gets darker and whiter, killing the half tones and the shades between both extremes). In that pic, the whole skin is crunched. There are not pure blacks, but the halftones and highlights looks posterized/destroyed. You're drastically reducing the amount of shades of the skin. You need to smooth those shades a bit more, even if you want a high contrast pic, you need to smooth the transitions among shades or maybe, keeping the shades of the original and looking for another way to achieve a high contrast you're looking. Other than that you will obtain a GIF-like pic.

By the way, where you from?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2009, 04:03 AM

hop, two original/finals:

(i don't have the almost there psd, it's on one external disk drive and it's not here atm :/)

http://users.skynet.be/gee/retouchpro01.jpg
http://users.skynet.be/gee/retouchpro02.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2009, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3Studio View Post
I find in this particular pic: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gkayaca...n/photostream/ blown areas (when over contrasting, shadows and highlights gets darker and whiter, killing the half tones and the shades between both extremes). In that pic, the whole skin is crunched. There are not pure blacks, but the halftones and highlights looks posterized/destroyed. You're drastically reducing the amount of shades of the skin. You need to smooth those shades a bit more, even if you want a high contrast pic, you need to smooth the transitions among shades or maybe, keeping the shades of the original and looking for another way to achieve a high contrast you're looking. Other than that you will obtain a GIF-like pic.

By the way, where you from?
yay on that pic it was a lil bit hard.
i had to composite the arm on the left cuz it was slighty underexposated if you look at it then on the global image. i did massive crispy contrast on that one, masking on curves/exposure/level & d/b layers. on 100% it looks 'nice'.
i don't have 'pure white' areas, i've got texture overal the model so i didnt got further :/

edit: i live most of the time in brussels, belgium.
but i'm off to istanbul for my family sometimes and to london for work
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2009, 11:41 AM

Gee, honestly you are really already at the stage where you don't need to take too seriously any advice you get from anyone, including me. I think these are very good - your general approach is working.

Quote:
I'm totally feeling nuts with the 'blown areas'
Don't worry about it - I was just talking about the image where I think there is a flattening of tone in the face and flesh a little http://users.skynet.be/gee/retouchpro01.jpg

All adjustments and adjustment layers are slightly damaging. So if you have a technique where you are applying very many, then posterization will happen.

The black and white one I can see where you are going with it. B&W of course has a history of 'pushed' where they would expose and develop, in balance to boost contrast and film grain. Maybe try using some Grain maybe to break apart, then its more convincing? And sort out that outline mask, look at your channels.

Quote:
yes, on the almost there one I composited the sky :i exposed my picture for the ground, not for the sky.i shooted a couple of frames that i masked on it.
Yes I meant maybe something more like this, where you introduce some texture and a grad into it will help? Masking different exposures like you were is a little difficult to make work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture-16.jpg (98.9 KB, 80 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2009, 11:39 PM

Hey Markzebra, I think at any stage we always learn, even from the benginners, don't you think?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2009, 04:42 AM

Hi all , Gee for me those pictures are great colors and sharp, can you tell me how you do this? mey i ask for some tutorial to get simlar effects?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching