RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

This style

Old 08-01-2009, 02:15 PM

This style

Ok so i have seen his work around. He sometimes retouches his photos so theres no point in asking him because he is very expensive. Usually they dont share tips if they cost an arm and a leg.

so heres the before
http://modelmayhm-0.vo.llnwd.net/d1/...ed44065359.jpg

and heres the after

http://modelmayhm-0.vo.llnwd.net/d1/...be62f363ac.jpg

HOW DO I RETOUCH LIKE THIS more so the colors. i love the colors

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotocobo/
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2009, 02:24 PM

Re: This style

The colors are pretty simple enough playing with a curves layer, color balance layer, hue/saturation layer.

The skin retouch is pretty basic (at least in that resolution) he adds more highlights later but its just accenting what's already there.

What exactly have you had problems achieving?

O and before you get flamed, always credit the photographer when you're showing his/her photos...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2009, 02:32 PM

Oo ok i thought i did i posted his link and used his images with a watermark on them, but his name is paul cobo. I just wanted to know more about the colors because its way different looking at the b4 and after.

is there any tutorials for all of that; the resolution, curves (everything you were talking about). I usually dont touch curves because i dont really know how to use them. Oh and thank you very much for your response. Ive gone through a couple of tutorials alot of them are cheesy. Ive found a couple of good ones on the net ect. umm i do have the Skin book. havent read it in so long
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2009, 02:46 PM

you can google any color correction tutorials for skin. they usually give you idea of how to use curves.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2009, 03:45 PM

Hi Miss P, maybe you want to have a look here: http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourse.aspx?lpk2=532
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2009, 03:46 PM

question, why does her head looks so big?

Edit: jk...sorry, curve should do the trick. there's a tutorial 'bout Curve and skin using CMYK method floating around here somewhere (i would give u a link, but I can't find it). to sum it up, u'll need to be in CMYK mode (because u'll need CMYK curve to work), open info palette (window-->info), use eye dropper (sample size 3x3 is fine) and sample mid tone and shadow areas of subjects (highlight too if u wanted to). basically, take a note of CMYK % in info palette of a good skin image that u like, then use that % and apply to your image (u'll have to adjust each channel one by one).

here it is just by using curve (s)

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/53/picture8hha.png

u'll need 2-3 separate curves (with mask) to get similar result, for example one for her skin, her bikini, sky, etc.

Last edited by d00dle; 08-01-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspimpcess View Post
Oo ok i thought i did i posted his link and used his images with a watermark on them, but his name is paul cobo. I just wanted to know more about the colors because its way different looking at the b4 and after.

is there any tutorials for all of that; the resolution, curves (everything you were talking about). I usually dont touch curves because i dont really know how to use them. Oh and thank you very much for your response. Ive gone through a couple of tutorials alot of them are cheesy. Ive found a couple of good ones on the net ect. umm i do have the Skin book. havent read it in so long
I would recommend you to be a bit more "adventurous" and just open a photo then open curves and start playing with the adjustment layers or you'll be afraid of using them and missing out.

Ok this is something "very super" general regarding the colors, first open a photo in photoshop and first you have to "read" on the colors you want accented if you're interested in having specific colors to specific areas, or just "read" the color temperature of the photo if its looking a bit "cold" (which means there is a blue tint on the colors of the photo) or if its "warm" (which means there is a red tint on the colors of the photo) . Then decide what to do, you've got to read some color theory in order to know what to add or to subtract in order to control the colors. For example if the photo is "cold" you can warm it up by adding in this case with a color balance adjustment layer a bit of red, magenta and yellow along the shadows midtones and highlights. This I mostly do it by eye haven't learned yet to do it more by the numbers.

That is a general example of changing overall color on a photo. If you want to change it differently on specific parts, you can use masks to single out where the adjustment layer will impact the photo.

Again don't be afraid to experiment and mess with the adjustment layers. I don't think I master curves but I ain't afraid of using them and sometimes they do stuff yo can't do with other things quite as easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00dle View Post
question, why does her head looks so big?

Edit: jk...sorry, curve should do the trick. there's a tutorial 'bout Curve and skin using CMYK method floating around here somewhere (i would give u a link, but I can't find it). to sum it up, u'll need to be in CMYK mode (because u'll need CMYK curve to work), open info palette (window-->info), use eye dropper (sample size 3x3 is fine) and sample mid tone and shadow areas of subjects (highlight to if u wanted to). basically, take a note of CMYK % in info palette of an image u wanna copy, then use that % and apply to your image (u'll have to adjust each channel on by one).
I wouldn't recommend going to CMYK to the OP specially if she's starting out... besides you can get CMYK readings with out going to the CMYK mode, just look at the info palette and use the eyedrop tool you can even get various targets to stick to the photo. Although the adjusting would be interesting to see doing it in RGB mode
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2009, 05:11 PM

the point of going to the CMYK mode is that u can use CMYK curve. RGB curve does not seem to work that well using this method.

Last edited by d00dle; 08-01-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2009, 05:15 PM

O RGB numbers and adjustment via curves is another thing. I use them when I need to make redness on the skin disappear...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2009, 07:41 PM

ok, here's a similar tutorial using the technique am talkin about. i hope this help.

http://www.graphicconnectionkc.com/r...skin_tone.html

Last edited by d00dle; 08-01-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching