RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Problems with bad skin

Old 08-03-2009, 07:43 PM

Re: Problems with bad skin

I still don't accept that - there's a clear straight edge top right where the blurring stops. maybe I'm losing my mind, but if you really did produce that with dodge and burn - WHY?

Quote:
in this particular photo I f@kin hate the abysmal pores
There's nothing unusual about that at all, the model has normal fine textured older skin. As for the 'original' maybe there's some strange depth of field going on, with variable focus - its the fuzzy, dropped back in opacity, bit that makes me suspicious. As for shooting the skin- tried ring flash at all?

Last edited by Markzebra; 08-03-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2009, 07:45 PM

the after photo is not finished... The "blurred" part is the part I retouched, the hard edge is there because I haven't finished. So I decided to stop before I did the entire photo like the part you see.

I'm asking for help as to what to do, instead of resuming the work and completely hide the texture of the skin.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2009, 09:13 PM

Well in that case just blurred the rest and it will look the same..
I have a feeling yor doing something strange because D&B should not give you that Blurred look at all and I think that is the main point here.
The whole idea of doing the tidiuos D&B ing is to NOT get exactly the look you ARE getting. Your wasting you time. Through a blur layer or use some Portraiture type skin plug in and mask out the eyes.
I would go in an D&B each individual black line/crease to make it look "natural". Sometimes you have to darken not just lighten the darks but Darken the lights to make it look right.

Just trying to help.

Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2009, 10:03 PM

lol well the first line in your post does not look like help, specially since I'm asking for "non blur techniques"

Take a look at the original photo and with only D&B to work with what would you do in order to make the black abysmal pores disappear and leave texture in the skin?
And I'm asking about the lower right corner which is where I'm at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
There's nothing unusual about that at all, the model has normal fine textured older skin. As for the 'original' maybe there's some strange depth of field going on, with variable focus - its the fuzzy, dropped back in opacity, bit that makes me suspicious. As for shooting the skin- tried ring flash at all?
yeah well the problem is the model is about 24 or younger so yeah the abysmal pores like the ones in the lower right corner are a problem to me.

Regarding shooting... what has a ring flash have to do with what I'm asking? And no I have no access to a ring flash because I don't own one nor is there a place that will let me rent one and take to my studio. I am interested in the future in buying one but not for macro work.

Last edited by Cuervo79; 08-03-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Patron

C79, Sometimes lightening and darkening (dodge and burn) is not the best solution to the problem that plagues images such as these.
I have found that for these types of pores and crevices, the following technique is very effective.
Add a new blank layer on top of the background and set the blend mode to Screen.
Zoom in to very high magnification (600x or 800x). Take a soft paint brush and size it to approx the same size as a pore or width of a wrinkle line and set the opacity to 30% and about 50% flow or more. Alt+Click to sample color from the good skin just beside the pore or line. Now mouse over a pore and click the mouse. You can play with the opacity or flow. I tend to go a little on the high side and when I am finished I just lower the opacity of the whole layer. It does a nice job of smoothing out the tone while maintaining detail and avoiding that blurred look. That's the good news.
The bad news is that this image has a lot of rough skin and you may likely have many many hours of work ahead of you.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2009, 10:52 PM

Thank you for the tip Mistermonday. I'll take it into account.

Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2009, 02:05 PM

People are perplexed with your results because you're using D&B to eliminate texture completely. You're going way too far with it and must be wasting hours. My advice is that there are other tools at your disposal. The healing brush, patch and stamp tool all have their place when used properly, combined with other techniques.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2009, 03:46 PM

lol they're not really perplexed they just thought I was lying LOL... I'm thinking the problem I went over board is as I said the layers I use to "visualize" the texture are to contrasty... I'm going to change the order so I can get less extreme results...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
they just thought I was lying LOL
…not sure they have changed their opinion either Cuervo -

Looking again today, the After image has clear signs of airbrushing under the eye. In detail what I mean by this is that in the after - the BASE texture under her eye (one texture I can say looks real in the original) has a soft edged, dropped back, single colour brushed in some way over the top of the original texture. How can you explain this?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
…not sure they have changed their opinion either Cuervo -

Looking again today, the After image has clear signs of airbrushing under the eye. In detail what I mean by this is that in the after - the BASE texture under her eye (one texture I can say looks real in the original) has a soft edged, dropped back, single colour brushed in some way over the top of the original texture. How can you explain this?
Markzebra,

I have nothing to add if you want me to validate my original statement that my "ORG.JPG" file is actually the original file with no retouch whatsoever.

I was asking for help since most of the stuff I learned from this forum (most of the techniques I use now originally I read here) So I thought people with more experience than me would gladly help.

Granted I didn't explain myself correctly in my first post, I forgot to mention that the after.jpg image wasn't finished nor did I steer attention to the lower right part of the photo where I was working on.

Instead of just asking, "hey I'm not to clear on what you want help with" you went with the added text of labeling me as a deceitful because the "org.jpg" doesn't look unretouched.

If you're not interested in helping just say so, I don't have to explain myself as to the validity of my statements, specially since I'm not boasting anything in fact I made the thread because I'm having trouble.

I would ask you that next time you post something "trying to help" actually make an effort to help instead of pointing out "incongruities" with the photos, and labeling someone as deceitful.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching