RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Problems with bad skin

Old 08-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Patron

Re: Problems with bad skin

Cuervo, I find that for D&B, using a 50% gray layer set to soft light tends to make changes less dramatically than dark and light curves. The curves tend to reduce the tone difference between the light and dark areas better but that seems to make it easier to remove all the texture more easily. I spent a little time on your image using a soft light gray layer and found I had plenty of texture left, perhaps too much. Not sure if this is heading in the direction that you like.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cuervo79 MM D+B R2.jpg (160.4 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Cuervo.jpg (80.5 KB, 79 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2009, 11:54 AM

As I mentioned, I don't use curves layres for D&B, I use solid color layers. I'm almost finished with the photo I'll post it so you can see the end results....
When using soft light on the layer you're using for D&B I increase the opacity and flow (I use a range from 5 to 45 % in opacity and 5 to 20 % in flow) I found that If I was working with lighten and darken using those opacities on the brush resulted in very little control you quickly turned anything really dark or white. That is what Mr. Tarantino was talking about in the article 0ldbaldy posted, you get more control with soft light. Although sometimes the work gets slower.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Patron

Cuervo, sorry, I forgot to point out that I use colored light and dark brushes on the softlight grey layer. I save brush presets as I work. I prefer to that that than to have a number of extra layers and the larger file size.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2009, 01:27 PM

I'm a control freak so to me even though its a bit of work changing from one layer to the other I prefer that when I need it I can change the opacity of just a certain layer, or like what happened here I just started from scratch but because the problem was with the fine details of the dodge layer I kept the work I did with the fine details of the burn layer and the "broader" details on the other dodge layer. If I had all in one layer I would of had to start from scratch with everything...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2009, 04:08 PM

OK here's the final image.... I still removed quite allot of texture but left some in so it doesn't look too blurred...

The original http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...2&d=1249329369
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Final.jpg (77.3 KB, 112 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Patron

Cuervo, you've done a wonderful job!
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2009, 10:15 PM

Thanx for the compliment, I feel I need to start learning a bit of drawing so I can give contour with shadows and highlights, I sometimes devoid volume from the stuff I'm retouching... Anyway this one's finished but there are 15 still to go from the session :s hahahaha
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2009, 07:42 PM

Hello All

After reading most o the comments I wanted to see how hard can this retouch be

I figured some cloning with the modeset to lighten and the opacity of the brush to the 70 ish % shouldgive youa nice job.

here is what I got

Before & After

alshaiji
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ORG.jpg (80.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg ORG2.jpg (75.2 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2009, 07:54 PM

mmm I'll stick to D&B in your after there's still some stuff I define as bad skin...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2009, 07:57 PM

Talking Re: Problems with bad skin

I thought I'd take a stab at this one using my dreaded "frequency separation" technique. Before/after GIF here:

http://a7.vox.com/6a0110184cd071860f01101641d29f860b-pi

First I separated the frequencies into low (coarse detail), and high (fine detail). Details on how to do this found here: http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=439098

On the course detail layer (low frequency) I smoothed the skin tones with the brush tool set to lighten, darken, luminosity, and color.

I cloned away the eye-catching pores and wrinkles on the fine detail (high frequency layer), making a HUGE mistake. For quite some time, my cloning was set at lighten mode. I didn't even realize! I don't have a super-computer, so I have limited my history states and was unable to undo it. Surprisingly, it didn't end up looking too bad. If you've got a sharp enough eye you'll be able to spot the cloning areas done with lighten mode (especially in the under-eye wrinkles found beneath the inner-corner of her eye).

I noticed that the cheek was comprised mostly of low frequency data, so I added a 20% opacity layer of gaussian noise (amount 18) and used the blending sliders to fade the highlights. I then masked it out and painted it into the areas that were missing texture onto the low frequency layer.

I stamped the layers, then did some fun enhancements, dodged and burned noticeable dark/light spots, darkened eyeliner, and adjusted the color balance.

I split the frequencies again, applying a small sharpening to the low frequency layer and convolution sharpening (low radius high amount) to the high frequency layer.

By the way, when you posted the dodge and burn layers my jaw hit the floor. Like the others, I was certain it was blurred. You're really incredible! I love how you divided the detail amounts into separate layers. I'm guessing that's how you were able to do it so precisely; you were devoting 100% concentration to limited detail ranges. Great technique!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eye.jpg (79.8 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by mikedimples; 08-12-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching