RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Problems with bad skin

Old 08-12-2009, 08:31 PM

Re: Problems with bad skin

Well its not that hard to dissolve the texture this particular kind of skin. I'm working on a new photo of the same session and I'm having almost the same problems as the one I posted in this thread. the thing is that in this example and the photo I'm working with you can see different skin textures in the face, for example in the photo I posted in this thread, below the eyelid texture there's one type of skin texture that gradually changes to the BIG pores you can see in the original. What I'm doing now is trying to make the pores a bit visible but not so much as they attract attention to themselves (if that makes any sense)... Anyway thanx for the explanation, I still find in your after image allot of "bad" skin texture that I hid in my final image....
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2009, 08:55 PM

I think you may have the wrong idea about retouching. The point isn't to remove every-single unflattering detail, but to make the unflattering details work together. You should sit back, pretend you are viewing your image for the first time, and let your eye travel naturally. What's the path it's taking?

Generally on standard beauty shots (pretend the model is looking straight at the camera) you want something like this:
-eyes, mouth, nose, hair, along the shape of the face, maybe down to the shoulders, then back to the eyes.

As long as the picture flows smoothly, without your eye getting "caught" on a blemish, detail should be retained as much as possible; lack of texture (created by removing too much texture or where no texture was present to begin with) CAN become "snags," like it did in your original retouch.

No texture is as bad as too much. Look at your original, again from a new viewers perspective, and where is the first spot your eye gets "caught?" Remove that item. Now check again, what's the next snag? I think your mistake is that you're starting in one area, and removing every single detail there is while you expand your "retouched zone."

I completely agree with you that there's way too much unflattering detail left in my retouch, especially if it were to be printed in an ad somewhere at just that crop. I assumed it was part of a larger image, was I mistaken?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2009, 09:03 PM

Yep its part of a larger image, I do understand what you're saying but I just don't like those big F@kin pores! lol the main problem is the model's skin, she's younger than me and she has almost the same big pore skin as me lol....
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2009, 09:30 PM

You could always use Portraiture to pulverize the texture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg v2.jpg (71.8 KB, 66 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2009, 10:07 PM

LOL you know what I probably should haahahahahahaha (kidding) , its pretty tricky to judge what is "good" and what is "bad" skin texture I bet it took you 5 mins or less with portraiture to get something similar to my "hours" D&B final. I'm thinking its the friking big pores, since I'm not having as much problem with other kind of skin texture. In the new photo I'm retouching it has less big pores and more of another kind of texture, and while I'm still having trouble with the big pore section, the other is going A OK without the blurred look.
Do you recommend any examples as to where to base one's judgment on "good" and "bad" skin texture?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2009, 10:15 PM

It really depends on the size of the image. You need to evaluate what needs to be done while looking at the full image at 100%. If you were to do most of the retouching while zoomed in further, the skin will look too plastic once you zoom out. Here's a good example of good skin:

http://www.nataliataffarel.com/light.html

Notice that if you were to zoom in and only view the area around her eye, you probably wouldn't be happy with how it looked. At 100%, it's perfection. This was a dodge and burn retouch by Godmother.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2009, 10:29 PM

well that's the problem with these images, since there are a couple of Macro shots, the 100% zoom you still see just pores in the screen, you've got to zoom out to 25% to see the image completely at 50% you still can't see it all, and at those percentages the detail dissolves anyway.
I'll have to talk to Natalia again hopefully she'll respond LOL...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2009, 07:34 AM

Weird, I didn't even notice your newer version of the retouch. It looks fantastic! All my advice was aimed at your original retouch. You don't need my help at all and could probably teach me a thing or two!

Last edited by mikedimples; 08-13-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2009, 11:12 AM

LOL OK, thanx for the compliment
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2010, 04:39 PM

I know this is an old thread. However, it has a lot of good information in it.

I am very new to retouching. Matter of fact, its been just over a month since I've started. I've been reading many different tutorials and techniques about skin smoothing, and have tried doing various alterations to these methods to find something that is both efficient, yet that also preserves the texture. Of course, dodging and burning is the ultimate method to use to preserve the maximum amount of texture... but it is a very long and tedious process.

I took the original photo, and have applied my latest method (perhaps insanity) to it. Its sort of a blend of frequency separation, altered form of degrudging, and a false dodge and burn method. It took me about 45 minutes to produce this from the original photograph. There's no sense going over the exact method now... I just wanted to hear from some of the more experienced retouchers what they thought about the quality of this image. If its worth a damn, I'll go ahead and post the methods used. If not, I'd like to know what can be improved, so I can crawl back under the rock I came from until my next try.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/8...dieretouch.jpg
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching