RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Problems with bad skin

Old 08-03-2009, 02:56 PM

Problems with bad skin

OK I'm having trouble with a photo session I'm retouching, the model has craters for pores and the MUA didn't do a good job in covering them up. To add to the conundrum I lighted with a soft box in order to reduce the skin texture (since it was bad to begin with) now I'm left with very little to work on, since only the craters are showing.

I've started with D&B but it makes her skin completely smooth leaving no real skin texture whatsoever. I've tried to vary the opacity of what I've already done but it just brings the big craters to life... Any ideas on how to approach this? Am I going overboard with the D&B?

I leave you a 100% crop before and after so you can give me feedback
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ORG.jpg (80.5 KB, 579 views)
File Type: jpg Ret.jpg (85.6 KB, 507 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2009, 03:32 PM

Re: Problems with bad skin

Your before image seems to be composed of two seperate textures, with different light - with a joining fuzzy area suggesting that its been masked together. In addition, there is a color shift, - I'll be damned if that's a RAW image. The after image looks like you have simply blurred one of the textural areas, there's even a hard division between the two areas.

What are you asking exactly? Maybe you are more likely get some help if you tell the truth as to what you are trying to do

Last edited by Markzebra; 09-13-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2009, 03:45 PM

look more like blur to me.

Last edited by d00dle; 08-03-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2009, 04:19 PM

I agree with both.. there is no D&B going on there.. Looks like pure blur. If you are D&B you should NOT have that Blur look at all...
Something tells me your trying to pull the wool over our eyes...:+}
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2009, 06:29 PM

ok, using smart blur and high pass work quite well if u would like to soften and smooth craters and pores, but still keep some of skin texture. then D&B afterward (if u wanted to). However, you'd still need to clean up skin first before do this step above.

ORG.jpg
ORGHighpassAndBlur.jpg

Last edited by d00dle; 08-03-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
Your before image seems to be composed of two seperate textures, with different light - with a joining fuzzy area suggesting that its been masked together. In addition, there is a distinct color shift, - I'll be damned if that's a RAW image.
OK first things first, the ORG image IS the RAW I just adjusted levels on DPP and then transferred it to photoshop. And looks like in this case you are "damned".

Quote:
The after image looks like you have simply blurred one of the textural areas, there's even a hard division between the two areas.
The after image isn't finished, which I didn't remember to explain that is why you see the "hard division" and this is my problem exactly.
There is no blur used to smooth out the skin the smooth part is all done with D&B. This is the problem I'm facing with this photo if I D&B and take out the texture (which in my eyes most of it is bad) I end up with a part of the face that is completely smooth.

Quote:
What are you asking exactly? Maybe you are more likely get some help if you tell the truth as to what you are trying to do
I hate when I'm called a liar and it just shows that 1 I didn't explain myself clearly and 2 that you Markzebra draw to conclusions to quickly.

My problem is the one you see there as I mentioned the photo only has D&B applied to it and I end up with completely smooth skin with no texture to it, now I was looking for advice on what to do other than lower the opacity on the D&B layers, since as you can see the ORG file on the lower left part is mostly "bad" texture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305 View Post
I agree with both.. there is no D&B going on there.. Looks like pure blur. If you are D&B you should NOT have that Blur look at all...
Something tells me your trying to pull the wool over our eyes...:+}
Snook
LOL, Snook I know you're blunt by nature but telling me I'm lying doesn't help my predicament. Besides seems like none of you guys understood what I was asking. And yes even if it looks like blur its not its D&B

@D00dle Thank you for trying to help but I don't want to use any type of blur technique, my problem is that when using D&B on this particular photo of the session I end up with no real texture to show after.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2009, 07:27 PM

it takes a long time to D&B to get that smooth. i don't understand why you didn't stop before it gets too far.

if you don't like the result you can still pull back the opacity.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toan thai View Post
it takes a long time to D&B to get that smooth. i don't understand why you didn't stop before it gets too far.

if you don't like the result you can still pull back the opacity.
That's what I'm doing but seems that most of the texture that I took away with D&B is in my eyes the "bad" texture, and when lowering the opacity it just brings it back.

O and I think I went overboard with this because the layers I use to desaturate and then contrast the skin texture for easier viewing where too contrasty and I ended up smoothing too much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2009, 07:35 PM

study other retouchers' work. observe the why they tackle bad skin textures--what needs to be toned down; what needs to leave alone. sometimes, one can go over board if you don't know the limit. think of it as this way: zero texture is bad.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2009, 07:43 PM

Yes I know what you mean, but in this particular photo I f@kin hate the abysmal pores which I don't like.. I'm going to start playing whit the mask in order to keep the abysmal pores hidden but show more of the other "bad" texture.... and this is just the 5th photo of 10!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching