RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

PSCS4 and Liquify Tool Performance Problem

Old 08-06-2009, 04:25 AM

Question PSCS4 and Liquify Tool Performance Problem

Hi guys,

Anyone has problems processing a 12.2 mp 16bpc picture with the liquify tool? I'm wondering WHY Photoshop doesn't use all the cpu cores when processing the tasks in liquify, just 1 core is in use...

Not hardware problems here. Having a Mac Pro with lot of Ram and processors.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2009, 05:38 AM

Re: PSCS4 and Liquify Tool Performance Problem

Never heard about this problem in particular, but it may help to select the area, you want to liquify, before you open up the filter using the rectangular marquee-tool. This way only the selected area will show up in the liquify dialog (unfortunately this won't work if your using liquify as a smart filter, but since most people don't know that they can enable it for smart filters using "File"-"Scripts"-"Browse", browsing to "Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\Scripting\Sample Scripts\JavaScript" and selecting "EnableAllPluginsForSmartFilters.jsx" this won't be a problem I think :-)).
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2009, 11:52 AM

Liquify typically uses only one core. Are there a lot of layers in the image? Do you have show backdrop checked inside liquify? Go to my blog here on Retouchpro. There is a link to a tutorial for easing the use of Liquify.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2009, 12:03 PM

Thumbs up Re: PSCS4 and Liquify Tool Performance Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket1961 View Post
Liquify typically uses only one core. Are there a lot of layers in the image? Do you have show backdrop checked inside liquify? Go to my blog here on Retouchpro. There is a link to a tutorial for easing the use of Liquify.

Chris
I see... So it only uses 1 core... Adobe must fix that, really... You're right about the backdrop thing. It was chekced. I just unchecked it and now works. Sloppy but it works, considering I'm using a 1500px brush it works...

Thanks a lot for the solution and for putting some of your time giving me a hand, Chris.

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_W View Post
Never heard about this problem in particular, but it may help to select the area, you want to liquify, before you open up the filter using the rectangular marquee-tool. This way only the selected area will show up in the liquify dialog (unfortunately this won't work if your using liquify as a smart filter, but since most people don't know that they can enable it for smart filters using "File"-"Scripts"-"Browse", browsing to "Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\Scripting\Sample Scripts\JavaScript" and selecting "EnableAllPluginsForSmartFilters.jsx" this won't be a problem I think :-)).
Mmmhhh... Chris solved me the performance problem and this thing you say with the smart filter sounds PRETTY GOOD!!! Let's try that.... Okay, found the script. There are more scripts there... Arte they activated/useful? Wow it works... Now this is getting interesting. I used to save a mesh just in case the liquify weren't good in order to fix the bad parts but now I'm done with this script. Really useful thing... I have heard there are people who does scripts too... Are those worthy? I really don't know what's an script.

Thanks a lot for your help too, Der_W

PS: the performance problem was because I had the "show Backdrop" option activated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2009, 01:15 PM

Never tried the other scripts, but if you want to find out more about the whole scripting thing there are bunch of tutorials on the net (Deke McClelland also did a very good series on lynda.com).
Oh and do yourself the favor to save the mesh, the little problem with using liquify as a smart filter is that it reverts it's original status the whole time you want to edit it again (I just use it to keep the file size small). Anyways with the script active you can apply lens blur as a smart filter, you just must not delete the alpha channels etc. that you use for it (as you see there's a good reason why those filters aren't available as smart filters from the beginning ;-)).
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2009, 05:29 PM

if you're still having problems you can duplicate the file, shrink it so its way lower resolution, do your liquefying, save the mesh and then go back and apply that same mesh to you high res...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janko View Post
if you're still having problems you can duplicate the file, shrink it so its way lower resolution, do your liquefying, save the mesh and then go back and apply that same mesh to you high res...
YEah, I was thinking doing that, but Chris solution worked very well. Thank you very much for being helpful

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2009, 11:33 AM

Dou you have an external USB HDD attached?
If so, unplug it.
http://forums.adobe.com/message/2008389#2008389
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching