RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Beauty Retouch (critique)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-07-2009, 08:40 AM
mosexclusive mosexclusive is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15
Beauty Retouch (critique)

I am also the photographer for this shot. This model showed up unexpectedly with bad skin. I tried to adjust using lighting, and did the best I could on the retouch. Tell me what I can do better.

I linked it so that you can really see the retouch in detail with before and after shots.

Click HERE
Reply With Quote top
  #2  
Old 08-07-2009, 09:07 AM
Der_W's Avatar
Der_W Der_W is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 558
Re: Beauty Retouch (critique)

Looks like the image lost much saturation, especially on the chin and between the brows, you can fix that using a hue/saturation layer set to the "Saturation" mode or a layer filled with the skin color on "Color" mode.
Reply With Quote top
  #3  
Old 08-07-2009, 09:33 AM
mosexclusive mosexclusive is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15
Re: Beauty Retouch (critique)

^^^Thanks for the suggestion. I actually wanted it to lose a little saturation so I purposely took some out.
Reply With Quote top
  #4  
Old 08-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Markzebra's Avatar
Markzebra Markzebra is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: London, UK
Posts: 718
Re: Beauty Retouch (critique)

Quote:
I tried to adjust using lighting, and did the best I could on the retouch. Tell me what I can do better.
Your approach trying to make light better with Photoshop is not working. The highlights are too blown, airbrushed looking, and the wrong color. Basic lighting should be sorted with photography. To add more spot, which is what you have tried to do, would require you to consider precise direction, tail off and anatomy more correctly.
Reply With Quote top
  #5  
Old 08-07-2009, 11:18 AM
elit elit is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1
Re: Beauty Retouch (critique)

I think you've made her look a lot better and I can see the style you're going for, it just seems like you've stopped in a weird place. I my opinion it's not enough retouching to have a good "3d software" look and it's way too much to be natural looking. Personally I'd back off a little with the blown out highlights.

As far as your lighting, you didn't do yourself any favors by having the light at such an angle. That accentuates skin imperfections. Try bringing the softbox right over the lens directly on axis to your subject (think ringlight) and also supplement with a little bounce fill under her chin.
Reply With Quote top
  #6  
Old 08-07-2009, 02:41 PM
d00dle's Avatar
d00dle d00dle is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 91
Re: Beauty Retouch (critique)

i thought it looks pretty good. love her skin, except she looks like she has tan lines all over her body. even out skin tone/color would look so much better.
Reply With Quote top
  #7  
Old 08-11-2009, 01:25 PM
mosexclusive mosexclusive is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15
Re: Beauty Retouch (critique)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
Your approach trying to make light better with Photoshop is not working. The highlights are too blown, airbrushed looking, and the wrong color. Basic lighting should be sorted with photography. To add more spot, which is what you have tried to do, would require you to consider precise direction, tail off and anatomy more correctly.
When I said adjust light...I was talking about from the photography NOT the retouch aspect. But again, thanks. I will keep this in mind on the next image I work on.
Reply With Quote top
  #8  
Old 08-11-2009, 01:28 PM
mosexclusive mosexclusive is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15
Re: Beauty Retouch (critique)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elit View Post
I think you've made her look a lot better and I can see the style you're going for, it just seems like you've stopped in a weird place. I my opinion it's not enough retouching to have a good "3d software" look and it's way too much to be natural looking. Personally I'd back off a little with the blown out highlights.

As far as your lighting, you didn't do yourself any favors by having the light at such an angle. That accentuates skin imperfections. Try bringing the softbox right over the lens directly on axis to your subject (think ringlight) and also supplement with a little bounce fill under her chin.
This is where the light was. Big light source directly over the lens as close it could be without getting in the shot anyway. But I think you are right about the hghlights. I felt that myself before even posting it. Just wanted to get some more opinions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New beauty Retouch fryday Critiques 10 08-02-2010 03:07 AM
Beauty Retouch Nienna Critiques 13 05-07-2009 11:24 AM
My 2nd High-End Retouch Attempt - Please Critique! psdbunny Critiques 11 03-12-2009 11:36 PM
FREE PORN... ok, not; but a retouch for critique. AltIvan Photo Retouching 1 09-02-2008 12:41 PM
Mr first ever photo retouch critique pls sergio2263 Critiques 8 05-06-2008 01:58 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved