RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

ban on retouching!

Old 08-10-2009, 06:38 AM

Re: ban on retouching!

one... is not a retouching BAN - is a disclaimer "this is fake, don't starve to look like this"

Personally I think it's BS (Even tho it would be GREAT for business! those who can do seamless will have more work )

I think those ppl should just stop telling their childrens things like "you are the prettiest girl in the whole world" and teach them to value more than just looks.

Also... Buy the freaking girl some books instead of barbies and art related toys (Drawing kit, music instruments, pen and paper) instead of MAKE UP- Make the girl do sports not to look better but to FEEL better.

I'm not going to keep ranting about this because i think u get my point.

stupid ppl support stupid disclaimers tho.

xx
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2009, 07:05 AM

I think photos should be banned. And make-up. And any colour clothing except shades of grey, faded blue, or black. And any (frivolous) patterns on clothing. And any distinct shapes in clothing. Actually the whole fashion industry. And hairdressers, and dentists, and stylists, and combs, and hair brushes, and tooth brushes, and toothpaste, and soap. Etc., etc., etc.
Anything that changes 'the natural state' to fake.

And then the whole world will be like North Korea.

Last edited by W.Smith; 08-10-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2009, 08:38 AM

I'm reading a lot of information like this and in different countries lately.

one thing is clear here: it's people fault but it's easier blame PHOTOSHOP.
it's like when some country is passing problems --> BLAME THE PRESIDENT

we (i mean society) buy stupid magazines with stupid idols for make our life more stupid. and we want our stupid kids look like them cause we (i repeat, society) think their look is real and of course possible.

The people don't know establish a difference between what is real and what is the next step to luxury, fashion, cinema, models, glamour...etc

Of course this is not gonna happen without polemic
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
one... is not a retouching BAN - is a disclaimer "this is fake, don't starve to look like this"

Personally I think it's BS (Even tho it would be GREAT for business! those who can do seamless will have more work )

I think those ppl should just stop telling their childrens things like "you are the prettiest girl in the whole world" and teach them to value more than just looks.

Also... Buy the freaking girl some books instead of barbies and art related toys (Drawing kit, music instruments, pen and paper) instead of MAKE UP- Make the girl do sports not to look better but to FEEL better.

I'm not going to keep ranting about this because i think u get my point.

stupid ppl support stupid disclaimers tho.

xx
good point.

i fucking hate disclaimers. that goes to show you how stupid people are...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2009, 10:28 AM

Then they should also ban makeup and lighting? As far as I know the effects of lipstick, mascara, foundation etc are impossible to attain naturally
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
i fucking hate disclaimers. that goes to show you how stupid people are...
Yeah, problem is people don't KNOW what goes on. They really don't, the vast majority of consumers of printed material, have no idea how much is done both with photography and retouching to make celebrities and models look more attractive. Its only when the retouching itself is obvious that it becomes obvious, and most casual viewers are repelled at some level by this type of work. Its the type of work that shows bad taste, in one way or another that causes such a strong reaction. Its the backlash that I've been predicting. Its not Sinisa's work I'm talking about there by the way.

I actually like those French Elle covers, at least they are different.

Last edited by Markzebra; 09-13-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
Yeah, problem is people don't KNOW what goes on. They really don't, the vast majority of consumers of printed material, have no idea how much is done both with photography and retouching to make celebrities and models look more attractive. Its only when the retouching itself is obvious that it becomes obvious, and most casual viewers are repelled at some level by this type of work. Its the type of work that shows bad taste, in one way or another that causes such a strong reaction. Its the backlash that I've been predicting. Its not Sinisa's work I'm talking about there by the way.

I actually like those French Elle covers, at least they are different. Can see they were forced to undersaturate them
i am guilty of tweaking the models here and there to look better. i try not to go over board. one thing i haven't done is celebrities. they are so recognizable that some restraint needed. i see some horrible celeb retouch...sometimes, finger should point towards art directors
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2009, 03:09 PM

One thing I find odd is that they singled out an ad for a product that is marketed to older women and features a 60-year-old, then claim it impacts the self-esteem of young girls. How many of these girls would even know who Twiggy is?

Scott

SEP Studios Retouching
http://www.retoucher.net
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2009, 01:29 AM

i have been down this road before, if they want to put a disclaimer on any images that have been "retouched" you would have to put it on EVERY SHOT in a magazine, i should know, this is what i do fro a living with a major catalogue in Toronto, nothing is left untouched, from couches to models.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
i have been down this road before, if they want to put a disclaimer on any images that have been "retouched" you would have to put it on EVERY SHOT in a magazine, i should know, this is what i do fro a living with a major catalogue in Toronto, nothing is left untouched, from couches to models.
+1. I don't think most people really realize just how much of what they see has had at least some work done. Almost nothing ever makes it out of our shop without at least SOMETHING worked on.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching