RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Need help about these pics!

Old 08-08-2009, 11:59 PM

Question Need help about these pics!

Hi people,

I would like to know about a couple of pics from this link: http://gallery.xemanhdep.com/2009/05...-light-photos/

The pictures in case are the pic number 1; 9 and 13. The first one seems taken during the day but the others looks like taken on night. I'm particulary interested on the ones which looks more like taken on night.

I'm wondering how those pics were taken and what about the post because the stars on the sky on one of those are frozen, which is impossible in long expossure photography plus the light of the overal picture looks like HDR and it's impossible get that look by raising the dark tones because the noise and posterization.

I have been trying to get that look for many months but impossible so far.

Thanks in advance!

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2009, 03:20 AM

Re: Need help about these pics!

nice! wonder what type of lens they were using.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2009, 03:34 AM

Question Re: Need help about these pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00dle View Post
nice! wonder what type of lens they were using.
wide angle, do you mean filters?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2009, 04:30 AM

Re: Need help about these pics!

HDR / tone-mapping was definitely used, but was followed by a lot of skillful Photoshop work. To see an example of some obvious PS work on these images, look at the beams of light coming out of the windows of the tower in photo #xx. There is no way that is for real.

WRT your comment about the difficulty in raising the darks, you do run into this problem if you use HDR tonemapping algorithms on a single image, but the problem is vastly reduced if you take a series of differing exposures and merge them to an HDR file. If you make exposures over a wide enough range, one of the exposures will be spot-on for the darks and will have minimum noise. That will be the exposure that contributes the most to the darks in the HDR file, and hence noise will / can be low. There is a lot of discussion in books on HDR photography about the fact that in general, multi-exposure HDR techniques tend to reduce noise.

HTH,

Tom M
Washington, DC
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2009, 01:46 PM

Thumbs up Re: Need help about these pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_M View Post
HDR / tone-mapping was definitely used, but was followed by a lot of skillful Photoshop work. To see an example of some obvious PS work on these images, look at the beams of light coming out of the windows of the tower in photo #xx. There is no way that is for real.

WRT your comment about the difficulty in raising the darks, you do run into this problem if you use HDR tonemapping algorithms on a single image, but the problem is vastly reduced if you take a series of differing exposures and merge them to an HDR file. If you make exposures over a wide enough range, one of the exposures will be spot-on for the darks and will have minimum noise. That will be the exposure that contributes the most to the darks in the HDR file, and hence noise will / can be low. There is a lot of discussion in books on HDR photography about the fact that in general, multi-exposure HDR techniques tend to reduce noise.

HTH,

Tom M
Washington, DC
Mmmmhhh.... I see a very interesting point in your comment. I should do a test in order to see if I'm right.

I'm figuring a shot for the sky, which is always enough bright for a fast shutter speed, and a shoot for the scenario at a very low shutter speed, then showing only the stars/moon by masking in PS from the first shot, so they look frozen. And of course, HDR.

Will try it tonight and post here the resul

Thanks a lot!!!

Mart

PS: Sky not enough good for trying this...

Last edited by Quantum3; 08-10-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching