RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Liquify Tutorial?

Old 08-09-2009, 03:48 AM

Liquify Tutorial?

Hey, I'm sure this has been covered before, but I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for. Could someone lead me to a tutorial/general info regarding the Liquify filter? I've never really used it and I have a feeling I'm missing out...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2009, 03:56 AM

Re: Liquify Tutorial?

Dr. Russel Brown has got some nice tutorials on his website.
Here are two of them: http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/SandDuneSM.mov
http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/LiquifyAlert.mov

What exactly do you want to know about the filter? How to form bodys, how to make surrealistic montages?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2009, 03:48 PM

Wow thank you so much! That's exactly what I was looking for, not to mention pretty entertaining. The surf flag one is so helpful, that's the sort of slightly complicated but realistic looking distortion I'm looking to create. Also, the sand dune one was a good reminder for me that I should really use the pen tool much more often...

Do you know of any sites that sort of define the uses of the different tools (on the left side in the liquify filter pop up)? I'm curious to know which is best for what sort of distortion. For instance, Russell Brown used the "forward warp" to re-shape the edge of the sand dune, and then the "move pixels" tool to re-shape the sign in the flag tut.

Again, thanks for the links, those are the best tutorials on the subject I've seen.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2009, 01:13 AM

Uh yeah, the flag tutorial is great... No more complicated and tiwted displacement maps with that tut!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2009, 01:23 AM

A liquify tip: when liquify is applied to the image, make sure by zooming 1 more time (above 100%) to check if you see some distortion in the pixels. Usually at full pixels those little deffects are not noticeable. If you find some, just heal them out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2009, 01:42 AM

Hey thanks, yeah, I noticed that happening once in a while when I was working an image today. I was experimenting with liquify to change the shape of a model's eyeglasses, which had some pretty entertaining results!

Are you the same person as Quantum3Studio?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2009, 04:19 AM

just tryin' all tools on your left panel and use your imagination ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2009, 04:38 AM

Smile Re: Liquify Tutorial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theautochthon View Post
Hey thanks, yeah, I noticed that happening once in a while when I was working an image today. I was experimenting with liquify to change the shape of a model's eyeglasses, which had some pretty entertaining results!

Are you the same person as Quantum3Studio?
Yeah, I'm the same guy. I changed my account's name because I'm quite mixing professional things with personal things so I decided changing it to just Quantum3 since I'm more into the personal stuff around here than jobs meaning that the name quantum3studio has no sense in this forum. However, I keep the business side active, but not so much as long as things are going

Another little tip, just in case you dind't found it yet when using the tool that belongs to the "O" key (it pushes pixels to the right; left; up and down) set the pressure (I think the third box with numbres) to 5-10 in order to push the pixels with less agressivity. It's more controllable that way. To icnrease performance, uncheck Show Backdrop if checked (that I was told by Chris Tarantino and it really works). You can also draw a path with the pen tool and loading the selection into the liquify, so when you liquify, you will do it more accuratelly. You should save the path made with the pen tool (firstly, converting the path to a selection Ctrl/Cmd+Enter, then selection/save selection) and loading it when you're inside the liquify section. I think that's teh way, or try it without saving the selection. I'm falling asleep... Will check that tomorrow... Have a good day!

Mart

PS: with Alt key you invert the effect of the selected tool
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2009, 07:58 AM

Funny thing about liquify is that it works with a mesh, so as long as everything is proportional u don't always have to use the image at 300 dpi.

if u take your image, go to image/image size/ change it to 72 dpi

Liquify the image as u please (Now u have BIGGER brushes and it works A LOT faster)

Save the mesh and click CANCEL

Go back in history to get your image back to 300 dpi and run liquify again, just LOAD the mesh u just saved and now click ok.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2009, 11:27 PM

Mart-Thanks for the tip about un-checking 'show background', it's really made a difference!

Godmother- I was just about to ask about using a mesh lol thank you! I will definitely try saving a mesh created on a version with a lower res and then loading that mesh onto the original. That will no doubt really help me out especially since my mac has been getting slower and slower lately...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching