RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Make UP

Old 08-11-2009, 10:39 PM

Re: Make UP

Any time someone starts to say that they are a real artist and someone else isn't, it's time to figure out why they're being so defensive or feeling so threatened.

When I suggested that Godmother was fishing for compliments, I was kidding. It was my roundabout way of saying that she has incredible skills and creative vision -- and that pretty much any time she shows a before and after image it's going to get rave reviews.

But even with her skills, I am sure Godmother would agree that her job is a lot easier when she's working on an image where the makeup artist has done a great job.

Of course, if I had to choose between a retoucher with outstanding skills and a fabulous portfolio or a bitter makeup artist (whose work I've never seen) with some kind of serious axe to grind (retouchers are evil and determined to put me out of work), you know that I'd pick the amazing retoucher every time (it's not even a choice -- although I'd still probably suggest getting a team-oriented makeup artist on board).

And fortunately for all those would be grumbling makeup artists out there, not every retoucher has Godmother's incredible skill set.

I still just think it's just better when people get along even when there are sharp differences in style and creative approach. One grumbling member on the team makes everyone else's work more difficult.

A great makeup artist is an incredibly valuable part of an image-making team. And great makeup artists tend to be incredibly busy.

In the team approach, the makeup artist does a great job and is appreciated for getting models in front of the camera looking as amazing as possible and thus making everyone else's work easier. And the retoucher does a great job and is appreciated for cleaning things up and taking care of all those details that would be either impossible to see or cost prohibitive to take care of during the shoot.

Both are playing critical roles and working to serve the image, to make it the best it can be. It's just a question of where they are in the process.

No one person is irreplaceable. But some people are easier to replace than others. And then there are some people who really just don't belong anywhere near the process. In the end, it's about working with people you enjoy to create something amazing.

Godmother, I certainly wasn't suggesting that you start doing endless alternate versions to please grumbling makeup artists. I know that you're incredibly busy, but even if you weren't I think it would only encourage additional grumbling. Anyone can see that your work is amazing, but that doesn't mean they're going to like it (might just feel that much more threatened). Probably don't want to get entangled in that argument (a waste of time and energy), but then her comment touched a nerve.

Now of course I'm worried that I've been wasting time trash talking some makeup artist that I've never even met. I hope she's having a better day than when she posted her comment. We all know what it's like to have a bad day and to post something online that we regreted later.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2009, 01:55 AM

I have only one thing to wish..that is some video tutorial from Godmother =)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle-light View Post
I am sure Godmother would agree that her job is a lot easier when she's working on an image where the makeup artist has done a great job.
As I stated in my first post - a good MUA is irreplaceable.
I've seen true ART coming from make up brushes, that's for sure.

Quote:
Of course, if I had to choose
You wouldn't HAVE to chose... That's what I'm saying... MUAs and retouchers should be friends, not enemies because, like u said
"Both are playing critical roles and working to serve the image, to make it the best it can be"

Quote:
Godmother, I certainly wasn't suggesting that you start doing endless alternate versions to please grumbling makeup artists.
I know

Quote:
but then her comment touched a nerve.
It did at some point and it didn't at the same time... I thought it would be fun to try this out.... I've never actually done any digital make up (because i have too much respect for MUAs) and I thought it would be funny to post these images right after her comment (I ain't doing that because I'm not a 12 year old tho)

Quote:
Now of course I'm worried that I've been wasting time trash talking some makeup artist that I've never even met. I hope she's having a better day than when she posted her comment. We all know what it's like to have a bad day and to post something online that we regreted later.

LOL - been there done that... then I come to the same forum and say "I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry"

/me runs and hides.

BTW: What do u do for a living? I'd love to have someone like you helping me write a little book.

xx
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2009, 06:57 AM

I love you Godmother! ...and love your work.
I'm just a peasant boy living in the country.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2009, 04:57 PM

Hey Godmother...

I'm an art director who does a lot of intensive retouching, and now I'm moving toward focusing more exclusively on the retouching.

Sounds like it could be a terrific project. Let me know what you're thinking. I sent you an e-mail with details so that we're not trying to figure it out here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2009, 06:04 PM

what I'm really interested in (besides of a great video tutorial from godmother )
did you show her your retouch?
or was it just a one of a kind experiment for the retouch pro forum?

would really want to know her reaction to it????
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2009, 06:35 PM

I think it would be a serious mistake to engage. And I'm sure that Godmother wouldn't want to engage in a never-ending cage match of flaming e-mail exchanges.

There are probably better ways for us all to use our energy than starting fights that don't need to be fought (and which no one who participates will win).

We all benefit from seeing what someone of Godmother's considerable talent can do. She took a random comment that totally pissed her off, and she channeled that energy into creating some beautiful images. That's a transformative approach we could all learn from.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2009, 07:02 PM

hmmm,
don't really want to see a cagefight either... ;-)

was just curious about what happened to that "discussion" with the MUA - because around here nobody would ever question the talent of a serious retoucher and what you can do with an image....
so in such a particular case posting an example "for us" would be kind of pointless - if it was just for backup/feedback.
everyone who "knows" godmother around here in this forum - should already know what she's capable of.... :-)

But if it was just for venting - then I would say, what a beautiful way of "anger management" ;-) (would be even more appreciated with an additional tutorial - lol)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2009, 08:07 PM

She took it back nicely. She is cool

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
We all benefit from seeing what someone of Godmother's considerable talent can do. She took a random comment that totally pissed her off, and she channeled that energy into creating some beautiful images. That's a transformative approach we could all learn from.
I agree! The retouching looks great - nice work Godmother.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching