RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

High Resolution pls help

Old 08-16-2009, 07:40 AM

Re: High Resolution pls help

I agree with Tommy O.

Just want to add alittle suggest:
Check the print-resolution to make shure you have the best file-resolution.

With a Epson printer I recommend a resolution of 360 dpi.

Why is that?
In fact the 2880 dpi maximum resolution of a Epson 4800 are 360 dpi for each of 8 inks.
If you choose 300 dpi the picture is printed less good as the same picture at 360 dpi - even if the 360 dpi is an interpolation of the same 300dpi.
There is something going on in the printerdriver that is not working as expected...
The first time I saw this was when printin photos with sharp diagonal lines being only 1-2 px wide.
At least that is what I found out for my printer.
Also I read this as a recommodation for the file-resolution in a PDF of Monochrom, Kassel, Germany.

Good luck...

Really good coloration!

(I think the highlights could have bit more tone - on the other hand that makes them look authentic faded. Depends on what you aim at.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2009, 08:23 AM

Thumbs up Re: High Resolution pls help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
Wait a minute... Your client wants this image at high-res!¿ It's impossible... Just 3,4 x 2,3 inches at 300 dpi. Larger sizes will create the blurry image you got because something called interpolation. If you open the image size dialog box inside PS you will see numbers and stuff. at the very down of the dialog box you will see a box entitled "Resample". That means that interpolation will ocurr when changing the dimentions to the image. Uncheck that box and write 300 where it says 72 and you will get the dimentions on paper at 300 dpi. The photo will look the same on the screen, but that's another thing.
This image is not possible to be printed larger. You can enlarge it by using Genuine Fractals (it uses superb interpolation algoritms), so you don't waste your job
Many thanks for your reply and about the Genuine Fractals software it is much appreciated, the photgographer has send me a larger size of the photo the buggeration is that I have to colourize the image again, but i will have a go at the image re-sizer and see what happens.

Many thanks

Marie
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsfather View Post
I agree with Tommy O.

Just want to add alittle suggest:
Check the print-resolution to make shure you have the best file-resolution.

With a Epson printer I recommend a resolution of 360 dpi.

Why is that?
In fact the 2880 dpi maximum resolution of a Epson 4800 are 360 dpi for each of 8 inks.
If you choose 300 dpi the picture is printed less good as the same picture at 360 dpi - even if the 360 dpi is an interpolation of the same 300dpi.
There is something going on in the printerdriver that is not working as expected...
The first time I saw this was when printin photos with sharp diagonal lines being only 1-2 px wide.
At least that is what I found out for my printer.
Also I read this as a recommodation for the file-resolution in a PDF of Monochrom, Kassel, Germany.

Good luck...

Really good coloration!

(I think the highlights could have bit more tone - on the other hand that makes them look authentic faded. Depends on what you aim at.)
Thanks for your reply and nice comments about my work, the photographer has sent me a larger size of 300dpi it's just that i will need to re-colourize the photo again beause he will be sending my colourized version and his original black and white for exhibition well I shall get working again and see what happen.

Many thanks

marie
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2009, 08:33 AM

Re: High Resolution pls help

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio2263 View Post
the photographer has sent me a larger size of 300dpi it's just that i will need to re-colourize the photo again beause he will be sending my colourized version and his original black and white for exhibition well I shall get working again and see what happen.

marie
If your coloration work is on separate layers:
I would try to interpolate the small picture to the size the bigger picture now is.
And then you could copy and paste the layers to the new file of the picture.
Most probably you could use - at least part of - the layers.
(If some layermasks show pixalation they could be blurred a bit. The same if you painted the colours in layers above...)

That shows again the advantage of working non destructive with layers ;-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsfather View Post
If your coloration work is on separate layers:
I would try to interpolate the small picture to the size the bigger picture now is.
And then you could copy and paste the layers to the new file of the picture.
Most probably you could use - at least part of - the layers.
(If some layermasks show pixalation they could be blurred a bit. The same if you painted the colours in layers above...)

That shows again the advantage of working non destructive with layers ;-)
Thank you for your reply much appreciated, I only have 5 layers for my colouration the main original background and the 3 or 4 RGB layers that's it, I don't have multiple layers. I am in the process of working on the larger size file at the moment to be honest even the original large size black and white looks very grainy and not as sharp but I know the grain won't show when printing.

many thanks

marie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching