RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Retouching jewelry

Old 08-16-2009, 10:32 AM

Retouching jewelry

Hi there,

I'm kinda new at this, but I need to get some rings nice and shiny without making them look like a plastic toy. The diamonds are not to hard, just using a new layer in color mode, paintbrushing with white or black and lowering the opacity then adding a little light blue for to add some simple color.

But the ring itself is a different story.. I can't just use a gblur or mblur to work away the imperfections and it does al kinds look fake if I edit too much. Is there anyone who has some keen advice on this? I've still got about 40 more to go.... Thanks a bunch!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ring 02 ORG.jpg (45.5 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg Ring 02 ED.jpg (84.6 KB, 165 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2009, 11:18 AM

Re: Retouching jewelry

Most of the imperfections can be eliminated with the healing brush or the clone stamp, you just have to keep an eye on the quality, the image is pretty noisy, so the patch shouldn't be absolutely clean.
You could also try to increase the contrast to make it look more brilliant.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwUli View Post
Hi there,

I'm kinda new at this, but I need to get some rings nice and shiny without making them look like a plastic toy. The diamonds are not to hard, just using a new layer in color mode, paintbrushing with white or black and lowering the opacity then adding a little light blue for to add some simple color.

But the ring itself is a different story.. I can't just use a gblur or mblur to work away the imperfections and it does al kinds look fake if I edit too much. Is there anyone who has some keen advice on this? I've still got about 40 more to go.... Thanks a bunch!
The original image has a blue color cast and jewelry needs to be photographed with proper full spectrum lighting to capture the metals and diamonds the way they sparkle in a jeweler's display case. Are you photographing the rings yourself? If so, could you explain your workflow and what camera, lenses and lighting are you using? Then someone can advise you on an approach to take.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2009, 03:38 AM

hey there, This is a bit down and dirty, but here is how I would approach this. Mask everything. Gold tones, hi light surfaces, and shadows, I removed the inside shadow, but you can keep it to add more shape. Go to cmyk and add contrast and channel mix the hell out of the cyan, the mix it back into the yellow and magenta, snap the black hard, then back to RGB. I think your diamonds are still too heavy.

check this out-It may save editing time

http://jewelryphotography.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ring 02 ED-RT.jpg (75.1 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by wacomunist; 08-18-2009 at 03:56 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2009, 10:41 AM

RE: Retouching jewelry

Thnx all you guys for the tips, I'll try playing around with the brushes some more. Unfortunately I don't take the photo's myself and the guy who does is (obviously) not a pro, so I'll just have to do with what I get..

@ Wacomunist: the version you made is too heavily edited in my opinion -it doesn't look natural. But you did do a good job by removing the inner shadow, that's something I'm definitely gonna give a try

I thought that retouching included adding lines, highlights and shadows too though, but I can't seem to find a realistic approach at it
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwUli View Post
[...] removing the inner shadow, that's something I'm definitely gonna give a try [...]
I'd keep it for plasticity and as perspective perception anchor. But lightened to a breath.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2009, 12:51 PM

Hi There,
I'm kinda new in here. I do professional jewelry and fashion retouch. I just saw your post and wanted to help you with your problem. Here is what i can do best. As you mentioned that the picture quality is so poor. Please take a look at the sample I've made for you. You can also check out my web site to see some samples that will give you some jewelry retouch vision.

Best,
Boorock
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ring 02 ORG-LAST1.jpg (55.1 KB, 105 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2009, 12:52 PM

www.boorock.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Patron

Re: Retouching jewelry/Using Boorocks retouch

I downloaded his photo and copied the layer and used multiply blending mode. Perhaps copying the background layer and using various blending modes and masks you can improve the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-ring.jpg (107.3 KB, 80 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2009, 01:35 PM

Hi Phil,
I purposely didn't do that. Because If you do you start loosing quality. Retouch pro didn't let me upload my original and I had save low quality jpeg. Original looks more crisp but not like yours. Good work but looks exaggerated to me.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching