RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Demystification of YERVANT

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 08-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Markzebra's Avatar
Markzebra Markzebra is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: London, UK
Posts: 718
Re: Demystification of YERVANT

Quote:
Wait... u can be wrong???
Yes, that's what makes me human.

I think YERVANT should move from retouching into sales career. Its a natural calling… some are better at it than others.

… YERVANT
Reply With Quote top
  #22  
Old 08-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Godmother's Avatar
Godmother Godmother is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 814
Re: Demystification of YERVANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
Yes, that's what makes me human.
… YERVANT
Wait... you're Human? such a disappointment

x
Reply With Quote top
  #23  
Old 08-23-2009, 11:02 AM
seattle-light's Avatar
seattle-light seattle-light is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC (formerly Seattle and New York)
Posts: 133
Re: Demystification of YERVANT

Let's start off by being nice to Daniel Popescu and take him at his word that he's a fan of the YERVANT style. I think there's a actual possibility that Daniel is a real person looking to emulate the success of YERVANT in the wedding photography market -- or Daniel could be working with a photographer who's looking to do what YERVANT is doing hoping that he can go from charging $2,000 per wedding to $20,000 per wedding.

YERVANT is more than competent as a wedding photographer, and I suppose that his post work is credible enough for that market -- lots of images, fast turnaround, process driven. But where YERVANT really shines is in his ability to market his work to the high end of the wedding market and to other people hoping to get a piece of that market.

Even if you don't care for the YERVANT style, one can understand that a wedding photographer might seriously want to demystify what YERVANT is doing to try to emulate his success.

I doubt that this is the right forum for figuring that out (one should start by intensively studying his sales and marketing), but I saw at least one answer for the settings Daniel was asking for in terms of achieving YERVANT look.

And this is probably the wrong forum to bring YERVANT's wedding photos to as examples of fabulous retouching. YERVANT is a lot of things (some of them actually worthy of imitation -- and you've really got to respect anyone who has a picture of the bathroom in his photo studio on his web site), but he's not an incredible retoucher (so coming here saying YERVANT is great is a non-starter because the work speaks for itself).

As a marketing ploy it seems ill-advised -- more likely to generate a negative response than a positive one. But then again, it is getting a response since we're now talking about YERVANT ("the Master of wedding photography"), so in a sense it's working.

I can't imagine anyone here shelling out the bucks to go to a YERVANT seminar (1140 euros for 3 days' "rigorous tutorage") on shooting and processing images using the YERVANT method or paying for his Dancing With Photoshop actions packages, but then my imagination is pretty limited. If anyone does, please be sure to let us know about your YERVANT experiences.
Reply With Quote top
  #24  
Old 08-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Cuervo79's Avatar
Cuervo79 Cuervo79 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Guatemala
Posts: 372
Re: Demystification of YERVANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
I like to think of them more as educated guesses. Sometimes right, sometimes wrong.

…YERVANT.
The problem is not your "educated guesses" the problem is acting on them the way you did or the way Garibaldi does.

As I said I'm all for BS alarms, but its better to keep asking instead of labeling people because "o my educated guess tells me so". There are allot of people interested in learning, even though sometimes they don't ask it the right way, or don't go searching first, etc.

I don't know if the forum has a "motto" but I certainly think that this forum is a medium to help people and to learn new stuff about digital retouch, compositining, etc.
Reply With Quote top
  #25  
Old 08-23-2009, 06:09 PM
garibaldi's Avatar
garibaldi garibaldi is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 363
Re: Demystification of YERVANT

why get so wriled up over it? who cares. besides its probably the only good read in the entire post lol

the focus should be more on our pictures, not internet ethics
Reply With Quote top
  #26  
Old 08-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Cuervo79's Avatar
Cuervo79 Cuervo79 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Guatemala
Posts: 372
Re: Demystification of YERVANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by garibaldi View Post
why get so wriled up over it? who cares. besides its probably the only good read in the entire post lol

the focus should be more on our pictures, not internet ethics
The focus here is on retouching last time I checked. And internet ethics are important when you don't try to help but to label people who may be interested in help on retouching.
Reply With Quote top
  #27  
Old 08-23-2009, 09:36 PM
garibaldi's Avatar
garibaldi garibaldi is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 363
Re: Demystification of YERVANT

dont try to help? look im not trying to dice back and forth with you cuervo, youre clearly taking this way too personal, and none of it was directed towards you, but if you look back at my first reply on this thread, I did help, I "demystified" the master magical technique, it can be done in no time flat using either lr or some rudimentary photoshop. hell i even offered to make an action for free and save anyone the money. SO call me an unethical guy but i have offered more about the retouching topic of this guy than you have . chill out
Reply With Quote top
  #28  
Old 08-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Cuervo79's Avatar
Cuervo79 Cuervo79 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Guatemala
Posts: 372
Re: Demystification of YERVANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by garibaldi View Post
dont try to help? look im not trying to dice back and forth with you cuervo, youre clearly taking this way too personal, and none of it was directed towards you, but if you look back at my first reply on this thread, I did help, I "demystified" the master magical technique, it can be done in no time flat using either lr or some rudimentary photoshop. hell i even offered to make an action for free and save anyone the money. SO call me an unethical guy but i have offered more about the retouching topic of this guy than you have . chill out
So its fine to label people as long as you're listing something helpful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garibaldi View Post
most likely! what a dork, if you sign up as someone else and then pretend to post a thread making like someone wants to find out how you work your "magic" especially when theres no magic at all, thats pretty tasteless.

here, lets "de-mystify"

-shoot wide angle
-use lightroom
-use lr presets
-use lr vignette
-if in photoshop, overlay layers to block up the blacks and make too much contrast
-use gaussian blur layer set to overlay
-run std b&w or sepia conversions

there ya go. want it as an action? save your money ill make you one for free.
Put yourself in the place of a newbie, would you contact the poster after you read this post?

I'm taken this personally because I know what it feels like when someone makes a quick judgment, labels you, and pretends to help. Maybe its just me but I like this forum and recommend it when people are interested in learning about retouch, but when people post like this it doesn't really help...
Reply With Quote top
  #29  
Old 08-23-2009, 10:13 PM
garibaldi's Avatar
garibaldi garibaldi is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 363
Re: Demystification of YERVANT

for crying out loud you just dont know when to quit. im not taking back what i said. and id rather not give the benefit of the doubt either. knock off the choir boy act too. If i felt like calling someone out than what difference does it make. your entitled to your opinion just as i excecised my right to have mine, so get over it.

and if i was a newbie and had a reply to that post, and had a set of balls i would have either told me to fuck off or came back with some kind of retort. but no there is radio silence, and if youre trying to tell me that its becasue pope boy is cowered off in the corner and fried his keyboard from all the tears I made him shed over this thread than give me a break, youre the only one who has seemed to have gotten your panties in a bind over it. and third of all, i didnt pretend to help anything, try those steps in post and see if you dont get a spitting image of that guys work, so i wasnt pretending anything, and i certainly wasnt pretending to give a shit about some fake ass post to try and rouse up interest in a polished turd.

Fifth of all, I like this forum, its ok sometimes, but here, ill really piss in your coffee with this one, half of the stuff that passes through it is pure bull, about 5% actually would help someone trying to advance with some retouching skills. the other 95% is taken up with crap like were spewing now

lol
Reply With Quote top
  #30  
Old 08-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Cuervo79's Avatar
Cuervo79 Cuervo79 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Guatemala
Posts: 372
Re: Demystification of YERVANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by garibaldi View Post
for crying out loud you just dont know when to quit. im not taking back what i said. and id rather not give the benefit of the doubt either. knock off the choir boy act too. If i felt like calling someone out than what difference does it make. your entitled to your opinion just as i excecised my right to have mine, so get over it.

and if i was a newbie and had a reply to that post, and had a set of balls i would have either told me to fuck off or came back with some kind of retort. but no there is radio silence, and if youre trying to tell me that its becasue pope boy is cowered off in the corner and fried his keyboard from all the tears I made him shed over this thread than give me a break, youre the only one who has seemed to have gotten your panties in a bind over it. and third of all, i didnt pretend to help anything, try those steps in post and see if you dont get a spitting image of that guys work, so i wasnt pretending anything, and i certainly wasnt pretending to give a shit about some fake ass post to try and rouse up interest in a polished turd.

Fifth of all, I like this forum, its ok sometimes, but here, ill really piss in your coffee with this one, half of the stuff that passes through it is pure bull, about 5% actually would help someone trying to advance with some retouching skills. the other 95% is taken up with crap like were spewing now

lol
Well this is exactly what I mean, do you need to get this violent over what I'm saying? Yes I meant violent, even if you think the definition is subjective.

Why would there be a need for the newbie to tell someone to fuck off? When someone's looking for help in the first place?
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The demystification of dave hill! let's all help! superkoax Photo Retouching 2453 05-07-2017 09:49 PM
The demystification of Jill Greenberg!!! superkoax Photo Retouching 135 09-04-2011 05:51 PM
The Demystification of Russell and Rutherford. mr.aj Photo Retouching 18 11-13-2007 07:11 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved