RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Demystification of YERVANT

Old 08-23-2009, 11:09 PM

Question Re: Demystification of YERVANT

Hey Godmother, do you really have some kind of appreciation towards me or what... I think you still hate me!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2009, 11:15 PM

Re: Demystification of YERVANT

nobodys getting violent. look this is going nowhere. im sorry you took it to heart, my apologies for offending you.

one littel point i would like to make though, is that as brash brutal or violent as you may think i was, mine was the only post that DID offer any help, albeit with a hard candy shell made of shit, but help undertone nonetheless. all you have done was complain becasue you didnt like how it was boxed up and shipped.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garibaldi View Post
one littel point i would like to make though, is that as brash brutal or violent as you may think i was, mine was the only post that DID offer any help, albeit with a hard candy shell made of shit, but help undertone nonetheless. all you have done was complain becasue you didnt like how it was boxed up and shipped.
Right so help coming in a "hard candy shell made of shit" presentation is OK because its help none the less.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellepiano View Post
I dont see a general style, but a lot of different things, like black and white, sometimes vignetting, sepia.
If you see a image that you find has the style you are after, post a link to that one.That would make it easier.
There were to many links, albums and stuff on the site for me to figure out what style you ,meant.
On his web site he don't have updated the last works. Please send me an e-mail to paste some of his last photo finishing works.
Regards

Daniel
popescudaniel@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 04:08 AM

Hey Daniel Popescu...

Good to see you back. There's been a bit of a lively discussion regarding your YERVANT Demystification going on here. Hope it doesn't scare you too much. Welcome to the neighborhood. The discussion can be a bit rough at times, but people are mostly here to help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuervo79 View Post
I agree with the website design I had a hard time getting to the actual images.

Also as others have stated I don't see a style in the retouch, I do see well composition, interesting, some "dave-hill-fiscus-esqued", composited photos.

And as others said as well his photos are based on good shots.

From what I'm seeing on most of the wedding photographers and on the quote I have here, most don't do too complicated retouch because the number of photos is restricting to do stuff to each manually.
Thank you,
I found-out some close-up to Dave Hill photo processing style but applied in much easy way. I'm interested how to achicve this pose photo finish. What is the Yervant method to get those stunning tons.
Can you support me?

Daniel
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
This whole thread is YERVANT marketing, must be. YERVANT Self publicity. YERVANT. Why are the words YERVANT capitalized - as you said in terms of retouching there's nothing much going on there at all. …YERVANT.
Thank you for your post.
I'm just a simple wedding photographer from Romania who like the YERVANT photo and finishing style and I want to learn how to achive his stunning tons and what is the methods to get his posed but naturally images.
Don't shoot me for my interest.
If you cand help me I will highly appreciate your support.

Regards from Romania

Daniel
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garibaldi View Post
brutal is subjective. first look at danel popescu (Yervant or at least someone affiliated with him) new memeber, three posts ever, all having to do with yervant, all having a link to the website. come on! I didnt even think about it until mark pointed it out. makes perfect sense. So sure if youre gonna come in as a fake and try to trick people into thinking youre the bomb, then expect whatever comes flying back at you.

I honestly see nothing spectacular about his work. Since hes most likely fishing for attention and compliments, the website has no flow, its gimmicky, half the links are incomplete, and there is way to much crap and fluff all over it. the images are decently composed wedding shots sure, but thats kind of easy when your holding a camera above your head and shotting with a wide angle lens. as far as the post processing, its the typical stuff you often see. i feel like i see the same type of stuff over and over and over every month when that free issue of rangefinder magazine comes in the mail. the blacks are inky and loose, the contrast is overcooked, i dont know how to describe it. I jsut remember when i first learned photoshop and would take a layer and set it to overlay over and image and would see the same thing. I totally am biased, so forgive me. I just think its got a flair of cheesyness to it. I really am not into wedding photography, all those fkn bridezillas lol.

Also the action set he is selling, well, you can get the same stuff, and tons more if you buy the on one photo tools thing, they have all those one button effects if thats your bag. I just dont particularly care for them, one reason being that you can spot that stuff from a mile away. I normally wouldnt do this, but for the sake of this thread I will. heres a link to some west coast guy, dont ask me how I wound up with the link, but he does soem pretty cool wedding photography.

http://www.jeffnewsom.com/

Hes the only guy ive seen in my limited browsing of those kind of photographers that actually had a different fresh approach. Save the cheesy music on the site, and the gimmicky polaroid viewer, just look at the images, the color, the composition. Id rather see someone appreciate that kind of work. but thats just my opinion.

The only threads that ever caught my eye as far as discussions of a photographer or "demystify" was the christian schmidt one. his shit is cool.
Hi,
You are wrong. I'm not Yervant and there is a majore difference between us.
I like his work and I would like to learn ho to finish my photos to look posed but naturally and how to get those stunning tons.
If you cand help me I thank you in advance, if you can't help me don't nail me or Yervant.
You don't know me so I'm not expecting from you such comments.

Regards

Daniel
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle-light View Post
Let's start off by being nice to Daniel Popescu and take him at his word that he's a fan of the YERVANT style. I think there's a actual possibility that Daniel is a real person looking to emulate the success of YERVANT in the wedding photography market -- or Daniel could be working with a photographer who's looking to do what YERVANT is doing hoping that he can go from charging $2,000 per wedding to $20,000 per wedding.

YERVANT is more than competent as a wedding photographer, and I suppose that his post work is credible enough for that market -- lots of images, fast turnaround, process driven. But where YERVANT really shines is in his ability to market his work to the high end of the wedding market and to other people hoping to get a piece of that market.

Even if you don't care for the YERVANT style, one can understand that a wedding photographer might seriously want to demystify what YERVANT is doing to try to emulate his success.

I doubt that this is the right forum for figuring that out (one should start by intensively studying his sales and marketing), but I saw at least one answer for the settings Daniel was asking for in terms of achieving YERVANT look.

And this is probably the wrong forum to bring YERVANT's wedding photos to as examples of fabulous retouching. YERVANT is a lot of things (some of them actually worthy of imitation -- and you've really got to respect anyone who has a picture of the bathroom in his photo studio on his web site), but he's not an incredible retoucher (so coming here saying YERVANT is great is a non-starter because the work speaks for itself).

As a marketing ploy it seems ill-advised -- more likely to generate a negative response than a positive one. But then again, it is getting a response since we're now talking about YERVANT ("the Master of wedding photography"), so in a sense it's working.

I can't imagine anyone here shelling out the bucks to go to a YERVANT seminar (1140 euros for 3 days' "rigorous tutorage") on shooting and processing images using the YERVANT method or paying for his Dancing With Photoshop actions packages, but then my imagination is pretty limited. If anyone does, please be sure to let us know about your YERVANT experiences.

Thank you.
You are right. You catch my point of interest.
I'm wedding photographer from Romania and I'm new on this forum.
I want to lear the method how to finish my work to look posed but naturally and how to achieve tose stunning tons as Yervant.
I will be very happy if I will find the support here.
I don't hope in this life to have a wedding for 20k, but I want to offer to my clients something different and something special.

Regards from Romania

Daniel
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 04:56 AM

Hey Daniel...

Thanks for a bit of demystification of Daniel Popescu. I think you'll everyone's quite helpful once they start to get to know you. Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching