RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Demystification of YERVANT

Old 08-24-2009, 05:09 AM

Re: Demystification of YERVANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle-light View Post
Hey Daniel Popescu...

Good to see you back. There's been a bit of a lively discussion regarding your YERVANT Demystification going on here. Hope it doesn't scare you too much. Welcome to the neighborhood. The discussion can be a bit rough at times, but people are mostly here to help.
Thank you.
I don't give-up when I face-off with such reactions.
I know my interest and I'm confident that I will find here peoples to help me.
I want to go in London to meet Yervant, but I don't have the money (about 2,000 Euro. My monthly income is about 400 Euro and I cant spend at once such amount of money) therefore I'm looking to find nice persons to show/learn me the method to finish my work in the Yervant style. I know that it is not imposible.
I use Photoshop CS4, Nik ColorEfex 3, Totpaz Adjust 3, LucisArt ED/SE 3. I want to see how can I combine them and how to use Photoshop to finish my work and to go close to Yervant style.
I ask you to much?

Please support me!

Regards from Romania

Daniel
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
Hey Godmother, do you really have some kind of appreciation towards me or what... I think you still hate me!
Someone's a lil bit over sensitive!

PS: really, I was serious (Why does everyone think I'm being sarcastic all the time?)

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
Someone's a lil bit over sensitive!

PS: really, I was serious (Why does everyone think I'm being sarcastic all the time?)

x

Yes, it's me.

I know my position and my skils in photography. I'm not so good as all of you here. This is the reason because I ask for your suppor.

You are so kind to help me to understant what is the Yervat finishing method?

Regards

Daniel
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Popescu View Post
Yes, it's me.

I know my position and my skils in photography. I'm not so good as all of you here. This is the reason because I ask for your suppor.

You are so kind to help me to understant what is the Yervat finishing method?

Regards

Daniel
Look who i quoted... he said I hated him and i said he was being oversensitive... I wasn't talking about u.... but now i read this, maybe someone is a lil bit oversensitive

Don't worry about the guys they play it like bad dogs but they are not so bad.

I really don't see anything special to be learned I think Garibaldi actually gave u a good workflow to follow, inside the shit package

Have fun trying

x

PS: I do agree is more about MKT than real "photoshop" talent with YERVANT

-tenia que hacerlo-

xx
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 07:21 AM

Hey Daniel,

Look as I said originally the strength of Yervant's photos is that they are based on good photos to begin with. From what I've read over a while the retouch has to be done in actions since the number of photos wedding photographers give out would be counterproductive to manually retouch them one by one.
So I would first recommend the following:

Know how to make actions, this will help you since it will be the base when you start to do personal adjustments or modify actions you have downloaded, they work with lots of different things, from automating effects, to cropping and resizing.

Search for black and white conversions there are different ways to do it, you have to look for the way you like the most (I would recommend you start your search with "B&W via Channel mixer").

Search for color toning, this can help you in making photos look a certain way (look for cross process look to see examples of what I mean) and when you master it it will also help you to give any kind of tint to your black and white photos.

Making vignettes will help you as well (an easy way to do one is having 2 solid color layers set to black, one in soft light "mode" with an opacity of 40%, the other in normal "mode" set at 15 percent opacity, after that you use the circular marquee tool to make a big ellipse, select one of the masks of the solid color layer and fill it with black, later do the same but with a smaller ellipse, and then blur each ellipse with gaussian blur with at least 50 radius) you can vary the shape you put in the masks, you can also use a brush to paint them yourself, you can vary the color as well to get different effects on the vignette.

These are just the beginning, there are lots of ways to make the same thing in photoshop look for the ones you're more comfortable with.

Remember retouch will get you to a point. You have to look at what type of photos (other than Yervant's) you're interested in achieving, and have the hardware to make them happen (or if you can't get it yet know what you need to do it) for example shallow depth of field can be done in camera and the look is easier to do than doing it in photoshop later, also right now I'm seeing a trend of using available light as much as possible, and when you can't you use off camera strobes (try not to "kill it with onboard flash"). I recommend you go to http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/48 and have a look at what people are doing there, you can get to see different kinds of photos and stiles.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuervo79 View Post
Hey Daniel,

Look as I said originally the strength of Yervant's photos is that they are based on good photos to begin with. From what I've read over a while the retouch has to be done in actions since the number of photos wedding photographers give out would be counterproductive to manually retouch them one by one.
So I would first recommend the following:

Know how to make actions, this will help you since it will be the base when you start to do personal adjustments or modify actions you have downloaded, they work with lots of different things, from automating effects, to cropping and resizing.

Search for black and white conversions there are different ways to do it, you have to look for the way you like the most (I would recommend you start your search with "B&W via Channel mixer").

Search for color toning, this can help you in making photos look a certain way (look for cross process look to see examples of what I mean) and when you master it it will also help you to give any kind of tint to your black and white photos.

Making vignettes will help you as well (an easy way to do one is having 2 solid color layers set to black, one in soft light "mode" with an opacity of 40%, the other in normal "mode" set at 15 percent opacity, after that you use the circular marquee tool to make a big ellipse, select one of the masks of the solid color layer and fill it with black, later do the same but with a smaller ellipse, and then blur each ellipse with gaussian blur with at least 50 radius) you can vary the shape you put in the masks, you can also use a brush to paint them yourself, you can vary the color as well to get different effects on the vignette.

These are just the beginning, there are lots of ways to make the same thing in photoshop look for the ones you're more comfortable with.

Remember retouch will get you to a point. You have to look at what type of photos (other than Yervant's) you're interested in achieving, and have the hardware to make them happen (or if you can't get it yet know what you need to do it) for example shallow depth of field can be done in camera and the look is easier to do than doing it in photoshop later, also right now I'm seeing a trend of using available light as much as possible, and when you can't you use off camera strobes (try not to "kill it with onboard flash"). I recommend you go to http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/48 and have a look at what people are doing there, you can get to see different kinds of photos and stiles.

Thank you Cuervo,
I have experience with dooing BW conversion, toning and vigneting, but still I can't achieve the result of Yervant.
I put to see you some of last works of Yervant at address: http://www.flickr.com/photos/41766155@N05/
I have seen that people who attend his class do almost the same finishing as him. There must be something what he learned them.
I want to find out the technique.
Please support me !

Daniel
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 08:29 AM

As far as I can see Daniel you've just linked to your own flickr page - which has pictures by YERVANT. Are the YERVANT pictures available anywhere else by any chance, if so where?

As for technique, most of the ones you have linked to have a fairly brutal local contrast technique applied. This is done with High Pass filter, at a high radius, or even Unsharp at a high radius.

YERVANT
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 09:11 AM

Daniel, why dont you put up some of your work so we can all see what your working with and help you to achieve the VERVANT style. Is there anything on your flikr page you created just today that you shot or do you have a website? If you have Photoshop CS4, Nik ColorEfex 3, Totpaz Adjust 3, LucisArt ED/SE 3 then I dont see why you are having so much trouble. THose are all pretty powerful, expensive, and fully capable programs that someone should easily be able to use to get all sorts of great effects. can you post some examples?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 09:30 AM

I also want to apologize to anyone who got offended by my posts, I didnt mean to come off in such a mean way. I am sorry
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
As far as I can see Daniel you've just linked to your own flickr page - which has pictures by YERVANT. Are the YERVANT pictures available anywhere else by any chance, if so where?

As for technique, most of the ones you have linked to have a fairly brutal local contrast technique applied. This is done with High Pass filter, at a high radius, or even Unsharp at a high radius.

YERVANT
You can see some of his works on www.yervant.com. I also found something on www.digitalweddingforum.com but you must be registered or you can start a trial period.

I wait to hear you back.

Daniel
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching