RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Demystification of YERVANT

Old 08-26-2009, 09:54 AM

Re: Demystification of YERVANT

dont get all snippy, pope, first, the only way your going to be exactly like your boy verv is to either ask him, date him, kidnap him, or maybe shell out the duckets and take one of his courses and hope he tells you and not just gives you the privelege to follow him around with your camera and listen to a lot of hot air. Or you could buy his action set, which prob does the same thing i did here which took all of about 3 minuted and a few presets. all it is is sat, blur, contrast and vignette. viola. so whats got you hung up? everyones response is correct, some stuff cant be taught, you have to feel it, so short of just telling you some basic things that can make those effects, we cant hold your hand over the keyboard and do it for you, besides your in romania and im in nj .

I thought the images that you posted first with the album layouts were pretty much on target with what you were looking for so what did you do there?. the subsequent ones just need some push to copy just like your idol does, but the thing that really has got me stumped.... is why are all of the images on your webiste http://www.danielpopescu.ro soooooo drastically different in look feel composotion and quality over what your sending us to on your flikr page?

anyway, bottom line is that we can hold it for you while you take a leak. We can tell you where to go, how to hold it , when to shake it , and to make sure not to get your bean bag caught in your zipper, but thats about the extent of it.

here, its your pic, the quality is bad, and i spent a minute on it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3857727073_5fbff069f3_b.jpg (81.4 KB, 94 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2009, 12:34 AM

Daniel,

I agree with what others have said, and they even have had some examples of what you're asking. Knowing exactly how someone did the retouch will not give you copies of the work Yervant is doing.

I mentioned this earlier and I'll mention this again. The thing here that you write that "the ones who went to the Yervant workshop shoot like him" is mostly because they also got info on how to shoot.
Digital photography is a process, taking the photo is one part, retouch another. If you learn one but not the other you will find that "you can't quite get the Yervant style".
The photos you're uploading in your flickr page have different composition, angles and lighting than what Yervant's photos have. You not only need to learn what retouch techniques he uses (which have been explained, even if you think it isn't that simple) but need to learn how he shoots, take a look at the lighting, the composition, depth of field.
This you can learn by looking at your favorite Yervant photos and dissect the photos in order to see what lighting he used, what angle, what lense, did he use shallow depth of field. This in combination to what most of the posters have listed, will give you a closer look in your photos to the Yervant style.

Don't think for a minute that there's a secret formula he and the ones that go to his workshops are given. There is no magic formula you need hard work and a good eye in order to develop your style.

Good retouch without a good photo doesn't make a great photo as a result, you need a good photo to start with so when you retouch it you get a great photo as a result.

Did you bother to visit the link to the fred miranda wedding forum? Did you like any of the work you saw there?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garibaldi View Post
dont get all snippy, pope, first, the only way your going to be exactly like your boy verv is to either ask him, date him, kidnap him, or maybe shell out the duckets and take one of his courses and hope he tells you and not just gives you the privelege to follow him around with your camera and listen to a lot of hot air. Or you could buy his action set, which prob does the same thing i did here which took all of about 3 minuted and a few presets. all it is is sat, blur, contrast and vignette. viola. so whats got you hung up? everyones response is correct, some stuff cant be taught, you have to feel it, so short of just telling you some basic things that can make those effects, we cant hold your hand over the keyboard and do it for you, besides your in romania and im in nj .

I thought the images that you posted first with the album layouts were pretty much on target with what you were looking for so what did you do there?. the subsequent ones just need some push to copy just like your idol does, but the thing that really has got me stumped.... is why are all of the images on your webiste http://www.danielpopescu.ro soooooo drastically different in look feel composotion and quality over what your sending us to on your flikr page?

anyway, bottom line is that we can hold it for you while you take a leak. We can tell you where to go, how to hold it , when to shake it , and to make sure not to get your bean bag caught in your zipper, but thats about the extent of it.

here, its your pic, the quality is bad, and i spent a minute on it

Thank you G,
The pics from my web site are done by me about 4 years ago. I didn't spent to much time to update the photos. Now I ask the web designer to do it soon.
Meantime I get a lot of experience, not only in making photos but also in retouching ones. In my country there are very few peoples who search the wedding photographer on internet. The best way is the advertasing from client to client and not in the last the albums.
In tihis moment I'm happy with my photos. I have started to learn how to finish them. I have somenthing in my mind. Always I plan what to do in the next project. I know what I want at the end and I'm confident that I will achieve my goal.
I like to do the finishing by myself. I know better the result where I want to
go. This is helping me to make my photoss better. Maybe when I will be good enough and I will not have time to do this work I will hire a retoucher.

Thank you for the retouch what you made to my photo, but is far away from Yerv. style.

I have seen that eveybody here have knowledge about the Yerv technique, but when you came to do a real work you can't achieve the results expected.

There is somebody here to get close results as Yerv using my photos?

Daniel
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2009, 01:41 AM

Soemthing I like are challenges...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2009, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuervo79 View Post
Daniel,

I agree with what others have said, and they even have had some examples of what you're asking. Knowing exactly how someone did the retouch will not give you copies of the work Yervant is doing.

I mentioned this earlier and I'll mention this again. The thing here that you write that "the ones who went to the Yervant workshop shoot like him" is mostly because they also got info on how to shoot.
Digital photography is a process, taking the photo is one part, retouch another. If you learn one but not the other you will find that "you can't quite get the Yervant style".
The photos you're uploading in your flickr page have different composition, angles and lighting than what Yervant's photos have. You not only need to learn what retouch techniques he uses (which have been explained, even if you think it isn't that simple) but need to learn how he shoots, take a look at the lighting, the composition, depth of field.
This you can learn by looking at your favorite Yervant photos and dissect the photos in order to see what lighting he used, what angle, what lense, did he use shallow depth of field. This in combination to what most of the posters have listed, will give you a closer look in your photos to the Yervant style.

Don't think for a minute that there's a secret formula he and the ones that go to his workshops are given. There is no magic formula you need hard work and a good eye in order to develop your style.

Good retouch without a good photo doesn't make a great photo as a result, you need a good photo to start with so when you retouch it you get a great photo as a result.

Did you bother to visit the link to the fred miranda wedding forum? Did you like any of the work you saw there?
Dear Cuervo,
I agreed with you. There are many differences between my style and Yerv style. I don't want to copy it. I want just to learn to finish my work. The weddings where I go to shoot are completly different than the ones where Yerv is gooing. I recognize that the Yerv is good, but I like my style and with every wedding I make a progress. There are diferences between my work from a wedding to another. I push-up the limit and the results are fine.
I come here to get better knowledge for retouching of my wedding photos. I chose Yerv because he have a complete style (photo + retouching).
Untill now there is nothing new to learn from here. I will keep looking to improve my style and who knows maybe sometime I will have money to go to meet Yerv and to learn what I want directly from him.

I close here my post. I don't get nothing to learn here.

Bye !

Daniel
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2009, 04:04 AM

Daniel, you need to read more carefully what I, and others have written, you still think that there is something special about Yervant's photos we are not telling you, we've tried to explain and list the effects, Yervant is doing in his photos.

Did you visit the link I posted on my previous post? I guess you didn't. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/48 check it out.

People are willing to help but you are not reading carefully to what everybody has said. I recommend you read everything again, and if you choose to ask, do so.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2009, 04:05 AM

I applyed many adjustments to this pic (maybe more than needed), but I also corrected lot of things before doing the artisty stuff.

It looks a bit odd due compression.

Original file: http://www.flickr.com/photos/4176615...25095/sizes/l/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3857725095_deaafcd38e_b-2.jpg (79.8 KB, 191 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2009, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
I applyed many adjustments to this pic (maybe more than needed), but I also corrected lot of things before doing the artisty stuff.

It looks a bit odd due compression.

Original file: http://www.flickr.com/photos/4176615...25095/sizes/l/
Cool, remove EVERYTHING from the fount line (include the statue or not)

Replace with a GREAT sky! and that's WAY BETTER than This Y guy!

xx

PS: No, I'm not being sarcastic, that was serious.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
Cool, remove EVERYTHING from the fount line (include the statue or not)

Replace with a GREAT sky! and that's WAY BETTER than This Y guy!

xx

PS: No, I'm not being sarcastic, that was serious.
HAha... It sounded sarcastic anyway.

Yeah, I was thinking about replacing the sky for someone more dramatic and also thought about removing the building at the bottom (including the statue), but so far so good, the image looks much more balanced than the original by just removing a couple of things. And that's what I wanted to show to Daniel, that it's not necessary shoting with a crhoma behind the couple, but removing a couple of things also makes the difference (and I also been a bit tired for replacing/cloning out all that stuff).

A must say is that the picture is already well framed and composed by Daniel, but the location is not the best for a picture, starting by those buldings at the bottom of the image which certainly balances the image a bit, the same with the statue. Overall, the photo is quite good considering also the field of wedding, he do it better than many wedding photographers out there.

I must say I know this guy Yervant, he's one of the most famous wedding photographers in the world. There are a couple of DVD called Masters Of Wedding, or something along those lines, which is good to watch.

I personally like much more this guy www.jeffascough.net than Yervant. Browse his website a bit and I bet you will not leave it till you get to the last pic

Btw, you get up quite early, GodMother. I'm still without going to bed...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Popescu View Post
Thank you G,

Thank you for the retouch what you made to my photo, but is far away from Yerv. style.

I have seen that eveybody here have knowledge about the Yerv technique, but when you came to do a real work you can't achieve the results expected

Daniel
Wow, well you know what they say.... you cant make chicken salad out of chicken shit. Theyre your pictures, you took them so no amount of relish is going to cover up the fact that your working with a hot dog, when your trying to aspire to be a steak. Sorry bud, but if you cant compose a shot, keep your lines straight, think outside the box, and want to put up cliche wedding shots of people gazing off and playing leap frog, well thats on your dime. Ill say it one last time, anything i saw on yervants site is nothing special, any of the post work is basic and most of what makes is eye catching is that its dramamatic, loose contrast, heavy blacks, heavy vignettes. But that is easaily achieved. The bw on his site, same thing, theres buttons over on the left in lightroom that will give you those looks with one click. My deepest sincerest utmost aologies if when those same techniques are applied to YOUR low res, wide angle, shot from too far away, unlit, image of two people leanign on a table with some IKEA artwork hanging behind them didnt turn out up to your standards.

My reply to your last comment towards me is this:

Thank YOU for the upload what you made to Flikr, but is far away from Yerv. style you do not have the same eye as he does and it is evident in your exapmles.

I have seen that you (popescu) have seen the Yerv look and are trying desperately to emulate it, but when you came to do a picture that anyone could do real work on, you can't achieve the results expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Popescu View Post

I close here my post. I don't get nothing to learn here.

Bye !

Daniel
Hey really sorry that we couldnt help you out. Thats a bummer. Maybe youll just have to go drop those euros after all with vervant.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching