RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Tell me how i'm doing...

Old 08-23-2009, 05:56 PM

Tell me how i'm doing...

I haven't been retouching photos for very long. I tried to remove all the blemishes, I put on all the makeup digitally, and I lightened my hair and eyes a little. What should I work on? what am i missing that will make a big difference?
I'm also looking for a realistic texture for my skin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg courtney123.jpg (71.4 KB, 85 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2009, 06:30 PM

Re: Tell me how i'm doing...

It would be good if you could also put the before picture to actually gauge the extent of retouch you did to the final photo. Also it would be helpful if you could post the photo a bit bigger since this size doesn't help to see the skin too much

The thing that pops out first in my eyes is that you adjusted the eye whites so that they pop out too much and makes them look weird, there's a problem in the left eye white like a dark spec.

Regarding the makeup I don't know too much about applying it (I'm not a makeup artist) but I would recommend that you decrease the saturation of the blush and the lips so they look a bit more natural. Try to imagine it in "real life" would someone have such saturated colors? Do they look weird or fake?

Regarding the skin I can't tell because of the size of the photo.

hope it helps

Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2009, 07:18 PM

Thanks. Next time i'll save the original and post it together, regarding file size how do I upload a larger picture? I'm using the image uploader at the bottom of the page and it will only let me post a smaller size picture.

I agree with you on the blush, usually I reduce the opacity and use gaussian blur but i think i forgot to use gaussian blur, my cheeks are a bit pink after I look at it long enough. As for my lipstick, anything goes. Sometimes I tone it down with neutrals other times i'll wear red, so i'm not too worried about the lipcolor now. I do see how the whites in my eyes are very very white. I will not make them so white next time. and I see the dark speck. However my teeth are blinding white in pictures where i smile. People always tell me not to make them so bright but they just are, especially in natural light. I guess overall it's a good thing. I don't drink coffee or soda and i use whitening toothpaste and mouthwash..I guess I'm a little obsessive compulsive on teeth whitening.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2009, 07:42 PM

well the restriction isn't on the pixel size but on the memory size, there's a 100kb limit but the photo can be small or big in pixel size as long as it isn't over 100kb when you save in photoshop start lowering the "quality" slider, if its still bigger than 100kb just rezise the pixel size to about 75% of the original and try again until you can get a big pixel resolution photo without being over 100kb

Regarding the lips I didn't mean the color but the saturation, normally that type of lipstic color doesn't look exactly like that without some digital help. That's why I meant to lower the opacity on the lips as well. Now you mention gaussian blur on the blush, gausian blur won't help you with the opacity as a whole (if you're applying it to the layer you painted or to the mask) it will help you blend the edges but won't really change the opacity unless you use big numbers and then it spreads too much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2009, 08:17 PM

Now that i think of it, i was wearing a light pink lip gloss. I made it darker though, as my lips are very dry. I haven't had problems with gaussian blur spreading my blush around too much though. I think it blends it out nicely.. If there is any extra blush i just use a big soft eraser on low opacity and that takes the problem away without problems. If you have another suggestion instead of gaussian blur, let me know.
I went to school to be a makeup artist, but I decided it wasn't for me as I dislike touching other people's faces, lol. I do like to enhance makeup i've already put on too, I'm not a big fan of normal makeup unless i'm working. Like this eye I did with theatrical makeup then touched up in photoshop...This was the largest photo i had of my eye..still not sure why my pupil is so dilated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rainboweye.jpg (69.7 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2009, 08:58 PM

that's not what I meant for gaussian blur, you said that you forgot to use it and since you didn't describe the use I thought you meant that you used it to lower the color for it. Never mind lol I misunderstood you, and yes I use gaussian blur for blending edges like you said.

the pupil is dilated because you didn't have a bright light directed at your face, and the illumination is a flash....
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2009, 09:42 PM

ahh, thanks. sorry for not explaining correctly.
Everyone always asks me what i'm on when i show them a crazy eyeshadow picture with a huge pupil. I did take the picture at night, so it makes sense.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2009, 09:57 PM

if you want to have the pupil contract you can use a normal table lamp, point it at your face and take the photo like you normally do. See if it was enough light to contract your pupil, if not put it a bit closer to your face.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuervo79 View Post
if you want to have the pupil contract you can use a normal table lamp, point it at your face and take the photo like you normally do. See if it was enough light to contract your pupil, if not put it a bit closer to your face.
thanks, I tried this but my light has a purple plastic shade on it and tinted my photo. I'm going to try to get it off later.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching