RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Having a problem with patchy skin and shadows

Old 08-24-2009, 03:38 PM

Having a problem with patchy skin and shadows

So I have been working on this file and its getting close to a look I like, but I am having one problem that I do seem to run up against from time to time. Around her mouth are some shadows that run to her cheek and then down to the jaw, they are dark and seem to be muddy/patchy. I tried to D/B them out but that just left them muddy and frosted looking, with the blue tint of the shadow very apparent. So the problem is two fold. 1 to get better texture in there, and 2 to correct the patch of blue tint. Any tips or directions I should be looking in? I would really like to learn how to correct issues like this, for the occasions that they happen. Any tips or places I should look to correct colored patchy skin in general?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JJ20090817-19-Edit-3.jpg (93.5 KB, 166 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 04:48 PM

Re: Having a problem with patchy skin and shadows

Well first what is your D&B workflow? Do you color correct the D&B you did on the skin later? (you mention you get problems with a blue tint after using D&B)

I treat the patches and blotchy skin as a separate problem, so I have D&B layers specifically for that, what I do first is have a couple of layers that help visualize the patches and blotchyness better. one is a solid color layer set to black and then set to color, the other is a curves layer that I adjust in order to "get the problem more visible". After that I work on the D&B layers with opacities ranging from 5 to 15% and flow with the same values. Some patches need very fine dodging if you go overboard you create a new patch.

As for the skin color problems Normally I just do a solid color layer set to color with 40% opacity paint the mask on the whole skin (or just the problem areas) and then start applying different colors picked from different parts on the skin until it looks like the most "realistic" compared to the original. See if that works for you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 05:53 PM

My D/B workflow is as follows

Create two adjustments layers. 1 with a lighten curve adjustment of input 89 output 156, 1 with a dark curves adjustment with input 159, output 81. Fill both Layer masks with black.

I also create a set of view layers. 1 black layer set to color, and another black layer set to soft light to make errors more visible.

I work on these two curves adjustment layers with a brush set to about 12 opacity and 20 flow with a hardness of about 20-40.

Af for working at correcting the color, its something i am not as experienced at.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 09:18 PM

Weird, its the first thing that comes up when you're "D&Bning" you start getting problems with saturation on the parts of the skin you lighten or darken.

O yeah I recommend you ditch the second visualization layer the one that's set to black in soft light, use the curves layer and adjust according to what you're retouching, it helps you allot more because you can vary it depending on what you're retouching, for example if you're retouching shadows you can light them up but keep them contrasted so you can D&B them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the pointers. Ive been plugging away and I'l lpost a Before and after when its done for you to check out. I think its heading in the right direction now thanks to your help
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 11:13 PM

OK here is the earliest version of the before, and here is where I stopped, thinking anymore might be too much, But I am open to suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JJ20090817-19-Edit.jpg (90.3 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg JJ20090817-19.jpg (95.0 KB, 104 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 11:52 PM

Interesting topic. All what I can say about those blotchy areas is they're common in digital pictures. The less light you have in the picture, the more blotchiness. That's because how the camera turns the analog reality to digital in a linear way. For example, an 8 bits image has 256 tonal values in the highlights, 128 in lights, 64 in the half, 32 in the shadows and 16 tonal values in the deep shadows. The very low amount of tonal values in the shadows produces the blotchiness you see in your image, also the color shiftness. You can add a posterize adjustment layer and set it to 16 levels and you will see all the image in just 16 shades of gray. Less than 256 tonal values are noticeable for our eyes, but also, you shouldn't trust on your monitor, which is able to show no more than 256 values as well unless you get some Eizo monitor or do a print. Probably, the blotchiness you see in the screen rightnow doesn't appear when printing the image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2009, 01:36 AM

I don't get it, what type "blotchyness" are you referring to? The one that's there already in your original photo or the one you notice after retouching the skin? Or any?

Is there a way to gauge which will disappear and which will not without printing?

Or are you referring to banding?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuervo79 View Post
I don't get it, what type "blotchyness" are you referring to? The one that's there already in your original photo or the one you notice after retouching the skin? Or any?

Is there a way to gauge which will disappear and which will not without printing?

Or are you referring to banding?
Cuervo, I think he's reffering to both. AS far as I understand, he wants to even those blotvhy areas but he gets more blocthy stuff when d&bing
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2009, 01:51 AM

The blotchiness is in the first image from the original post. around the mouth, it was a halfway point of the final that I was having trouble with. Once I tried your suggestion it started to come together. Which is the final image in my last post, which was accompanied by the original image.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching