RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Changing White Clothes to Another Color??

Old 08-26-2009, 09:29 AM

Changing White Clothes to Another Color??

I am doing some color retouching of a model in a white suit. Both pants and jacket.

Does anyone know a technique to change the white suit to navy or khaki?

I have tried copying a suit from another model but its so time consuming.
Any help would be appreciated.

Attaching a sample of the photo.

Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2009, 09:49 AM

Re: Changing White Clothes to Another Color??

Selective color

WHITE:
+yellow + black + magenta - less cyan

GRAY

+Yellow + Magenta +- less cyan

MASK CLOTHING ONLY

xx
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2009, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the reply. I tried that for khaki and it works fine. But with navy its a challenge.

Here is a sample of what im working on so far, you can see how I copied a navy suit to replace the white.

Obviously its easy to change a red shirt to blue, and still preserve the highlights. But pure white to a dark color like navy seems to be an airbrushing type job.

Untitled-2 copy.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2009, 12:25 PM

First you need to make a tight mask of the garment. Then you need to build density in the garment. If you are in RGB, simply pull a steep curve and adjust until it looks right. If you are in CMYK, you probably need to channel mix some detail into your K channel. Look at the cyan or magenta channels and see which one has the most detail. Then CM that into your K channel around 85-90%. You might need to reduce the K slightly to avoid plugging the shadow. Once you have detail in the K channel, then use curves and in each channel move the curve up to add weight. Don't worry too much about the color at this point. Once the overall density matches the jacket or reference color, then neutralize the garment 75-80% and begin matching the color. After you are all done, make sure to go back and fix your masks and add weight to any areas that are in contact with the garment to make it look more realistic. It's very difficult to go from white to a dark color like navy, especially with wrap around lighting. But you can get it to look pretty close to the real thing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2009, 01:20 PM

If you have a garment that is the colour you want, make a selection of that, go to the image you want to change, make a selection of the area you want to change then go to Image • Adjustments • Match Colour then select your first image as the the Source. You can then adjust Luminance, Colour intensity and Fade. Must be working in RGB.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2009, 01:21 PM

I made it work by changing the selective color layer style to "difference".
Changed it to a dark black and navy without any problems.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2009, 01:22 PM

i am working in CMYK for anyone that wanted to know
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2009, 03:06 PM

I wanted to show everyone how the final result came out.
The original image is alot bigger but I cropped out the section I was working on.

Original image was an all white suit on the gentlemen, but the ad is going to be placed in the fall so thats why I needed a tan/navy combo.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

[ATTACH]final.jpg[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original.jpg (73.3 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2009, 11:09 AM

Thoughts about using a duplicate layer w/mode set to multiply to help increase density.

Also thoughts about switching to 16bit temporarily (if you are not in it already) while making drastic tone changes. I've seen a little smoother histogram when doing this compared to when not doing it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2009, 03:56 PM

The most accurate color shift tool is the gradient map. You can select your highlight, base color and shadow tones and not worry about hue drift from curves or trying to build density. The colors you choose take care of that for you.

Your original pixels are ignored. Only the greyscale profile is used, as a category system to feed the new colors from the gradient. That way you keep the shape of highlights and shadows, whatever colors you use.

Build your gradient by starting with your chosen color in the center. Duplicate the key and delete the existing highlight. Change the color to a lighter, less saturated version of the base color. Dupe the base key again and replace the shadow key with it. change the color to a darker, less saturated version of the base. Now slide them around to find the right fit for the shadows, mids and highlights. You may need to fit additional keys in between the three you start with. It's pretty quick. I did these in two minutes.

http://edgework.tripod.com/samples/map.jpg

It doesn't matter what color you start with, as your target. Just choose hightlights and shadows that are darker and lighter respectively, and less saturated. And if you're trying to match an existing item's color, easier still. You simply sample the range of existing color, put it in a gradient map and adjust the sliders for detail. No curves guesswork.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching