RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Did I embalm or improve this person?

Old 08-27-2009, 11:35 PM

Re: Did I embalm or improve this person?

Use the clone stamp tool on DARKEN between 10 and 20% opacity. You can sample just about anything darker than the area you are retouching, but it helps if you try to sample the target color. Pretty simple really. The problem with this method is, if used to heavy handed, you seem to loose texture and it will start to look blotchy. So it is wise to work it very slowly, zoom out and take a look, and keep going if necessary.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereokatt View Post
...possibly why your wife made the "embalmed" comment was because you almost totally removed the highlights (hot spots), which flattens the face and makes it look like it's a person wearing too much makeup. ...
You hit the nail on the head. She said that it looked like I slathered her friend in way too much makeup.

Quote:
Reducing the highlights is a good idea, eliminating them I feel goes a bit too far. A bit of highlight left will leave some dimension to the face. Here's another version with the highlights reduced but still there, slightly.
Very nice job. Thank you.

I think the root of my problem is that I thought that since this was only going to be a gag photo, it would be fine to use really fast but crude techniques (eg, squishing down half the frame instead of liquifying selected areas, painting over parts of the skin with a solid color instead of cloning / healing / patching to retain texture and hilights). Apparently, unless one goes completely to the extreme of a cartoon-like graphic or an obviously retouched photo, if the image purports to be representational, you better not do a half-hearted job, even for a laugh.

It just occurred to me that my wife's strongly negative reaction is somewhat analogous to the common perception that the scariest monsters / villains in the movies are never the obviously evil cartoon characters, or trivial to see through special efx (eg, Godzilla), but characters / creatures that are almost "right", but not quite (eg, Jack Nicholson in "The Shining").

Thanks for all your thoughts / help / examples.

Tom

Last edited by Tom_M; 08-28-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htown View Post
Use the clone stamp tool on DARKEN between 10 and 20% opacity...
I know and use that technique. It's really good. I just wanted to see if you had something else up your sleeve. ;-) .

Thanks,

Tom
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching