Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Need opinions on my work

Old 08-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Need opinions on my work

Hi guys,

I've only recently become interested in photography / retouching, and over the past week have been just practising on a few pictures of my friend Emily that she took on her camera.

I think the pictures have come out quite well myself, although some of them are maybe a little on the 'plastic doll' side of things. I was going for the 'perfection' look with these photos, but I tryed to maintain some degree of realism.

Baring in mind I first began retouching a week ago, are these pictures a good start? Constructive criticism is more than welcomed; infact I encourage it, as I'd like to know what I need to improve upon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Re: Need opinions on my work

It's too obvious that you used blur on these images, I'd better suggest you to use dodging and burning (tutorials here on RP: Besides you should try to remove some of the fly away hair.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2009, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the reply

I've been looking at alternatives to clear up skin, as you can probably tell all I do at the minute is use the spot healing tool to remove small blemishes, then make a layer with a mask for the blur. I didn't think it would matter too much on these images because they're not of a high enough res to contain a lot of skin detail. I will admit though after looking at them a bit more the blur looks a little much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2009, 04:47 PM

Hey Luke, Welcome, First of all I'll say, if this is your first go at it, your way ahead of your game. I'll add some more to my comment in a few but looking good. A lot of talent lies among this web of ideas, insults, ideologies etc.........Use a good brain filter. Kind of like panning for gold..........Tilt, wash, tilt, wash, and tilt. The gold is heavier than the rock your working your way through so let the slag, the dregs all wash away, keep the good stuff filed in the "good stuff" folder for further use and don't take yourself so seriously. It will all work out, just breath.

Wow Palms, went all Gandhi on you huh?

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2009, 12:13 AM

Much depends on the original image quality. You really only have one good image in the bunch, the one if folder 2514. Work more on that one. If you are new, don't start out learning the shortcuts. You'll become addicted and just take longer to become proficient on the proper methods. Some of that is fine for touching up family photos from the beach, etc. But, not for a serious photographer wanting to improve upon his already excellent photographs. To the trained eye, it's obvious when a photog has taken a shortcut.

With regard to suggestions.... here's a few, more applicable to newbies.
- get the best photograph you can.
- go slow and learn to retouch various elements independently; each is different.
- elements are not just eyes, hair, skin. Elements are also tonality, contrast, lighting.
- there is always a more subjective/creative element in an image; discover what that is for you and work it. Make it your signature.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2009, 08:06 PM

Dear LukeWheeler
First of all welcome to retouch pro

retouching can be done in many ways my friend but as said before, it depends on the image quality. A high res image can let you go as deep as you can to retouch the skin to get great results.

As you said about keeping some "realism" i like that so much. Let us see the before and after so we can see how much "realism" was kept in the final image.

final word
try some adjustment for the nose (smaller)

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2010, 09:07 AM

I know this is a big fat thread bump, just wanted to say a big thanK you for all the tips. They have helped a lot
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching