RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Amazing product retouching....

Old 10-08-2009, 08:07 AM

Re: Amazing product retouching....

Mmmhhh... It looks like too many nosense pics to me (I just saw the fashion area) and lot of time and willingness to edit those pics. The shots looks quite random, even if they're thought, they look random. I find the fashion shots in that website quite boring and uncreative
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2009, 11:09 PM

Looks like some of shuakashi's works are almost 3d renderings. Does anyone know what kind of processing do you do to achive that look from a photo?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2009, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesalee View Post
Looks like some of shuakashi's works are almost 3d renderings. Does anyone know what kind of processing do you do to achive that look from a photo?
Like I said earlier, I heard that it's a bunch of image compositing with photos that are shot with different lighting on the products.

For a simple example, a bottle of cologne with a metal cap: lets say you set up the lighting in front of the subject to get a nice direct reflection of the light in the metal cap but this also causes a horrible direct reflection of the light in the glass of the bottle and you can't see the liquid. So you decide to light the bottle from the back illuminating the liquid and turning off the light in the front so it doesn't glare on the glass, now you just composite those two photos together to get good light for the liquid and good light for the cap. Now image the endless possibilities you have with with lighting a multi-sided translucent object in countless ways building the look piece by piece, section by section until you have something put together that looks surreal (or like a rendering.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2009, 09:15 AM

I should take a look to products... Really interesting how he shot the products, eyecandy stuff.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lawrence View Post
Like I said earlier, I heard that it's a bunch of image compositing with photos that are shot with different lighting on the products.

For a simple example, a bottle of cologne with a metal cap: lets say you set up the lighting in front of the subject to get a nice direct reflection of the light in the metal cap but this also causes a horrible direct reflection of the light in the glass of the bottle and you can't see the liquid. So you decide to light the bottle from the back illuminating the liquid and turning off the light in the front so it doesn't glare on the glass, now you just composite those two photos together to get good light for the liquid and good light for the cap. Now image the endless possibilities you have with with lighting a multi-sided translucent object in countless ways building the look piece by piece, section by section until you have something put together that looks surreal (or like a rendering.)

You're more than likely correct. I"m sure it depends on who's doing the project, but on everything I've done for products, the workflow is to do that method exactlly. I do alot of work on liquor bottles and that's how our photographers all do it. One shot for the liquid and bottle. One shot for the label and sometimes a seperate one for the cap
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallgoode9 View Post
You're more than likely correct. I"m sure it depends on who's doing the project, but on everything I've done for products, the workflow is to do that method exactlly. I do alot of work on liquor bottles and that's how our photographers all do it. One shot for the liquid and bottle. One shot for the label and sometimes a seperate one for the cap
Yeah the label always needs different lighting than the bottle/liquid. But apply that technique in an extreme nature with some product with multiple different angles and you can eventually come up with something like this: http://static.chinavisual.com/storag...01P26302T1.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2009, 10:25 PM

He's doing some brilliant work, but some of it is just intense playing around with lighting, effects and compositing -- to the point that they don't really look like photographs. Are the images effective or are they contrived? Maybe the two aren't mutually exclusive. Some of the images seem like he's creating more distraction than focus on the product. I'd really have to see the images in their final context to get a better sense.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2011, 05:01 AM

In my opinion most of the images appear unnatural to me and as far as jewelry is concerned I am fairly new to retouching it however I am designing it for more than four years now.. There are certain images that really take away the viewer’s eye from the product itself and most of them are out of focus. Digital image compositing is neither good. I feel the backgrounds need be more subtle enhancing the product. The diamond ring camouflaged in the sky …….wwwoowohh that blew me off ..”SURREAL”
The web page has its own flaws of it not opening in a different window and also nothing to switch off the music or lower the volume, it is really annoying no matter how much the owner likes it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Patron

I think this photographer's work is fantastic. I really do.

Part of it may be my own personal approach - I tend to like to push colors a lot myself, especially in landscapes. In my personal experience I've found people I've met who have broken new ground themselves and have gone off in new directions that many others have followed (e.g., Jack Duganne, David Ziser, Hanson Fong, David Saffir) have tended to like my work and my approach a lot. But work like this is not for everyone, because certainly everyone does not like it. And that's ok.

At the end of the day his customers' opinions are the ones that matter most (to him, anyway ). Shu Akashi has 5 studios - in the most prestigious cities (and expensive cities) in the world. Obviously the man is very successful and his customers love what he does.

Even if I didn't like Shu's work -- and I definitely DO like it -- I'd still take the opportunity to notice that he's very successful and to see if there is some takeaway for me that would help me improve, or help me learn how to reach my audience better or maybe reach a new audience I might not otherwise have thought about.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lawrence View Post
If you guys haven't seen Shu Akashi's still life work - Check it out

http://www.shuakashi.com/

It's amazing, from what I heard from someone that tried to assist for him a while back - it's a lot of shooting with different lighting setups and later compositing them into one final piece, definitely worth a look if you haven't seen it yet. Website's a little intense too, you might want to click the low speck version of it.

I think he uses a lot of daylight (daylight studio) in combination with flash e.o.
Thats how he gets those halo's and movement effects. I used to teach students here in the netherlands working in a daylight studio. almost forgotten knowledge .........
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching