RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Amazing product retouching....

Old 08-30-2009, 03:17 PM

Amazing product retouching....

If you guys haven't seen Shu Akashi's still life work - Check it out

http://www.shuakashi.com/

It's amazing, from what I heard from someone that tried to assist for him a while back - it's a lot of shooting with different lighting setups and later compositing them into one final piece, definitely worth a look if you haven't seen it yet. Website's a little intense too, you might want to click the low speck version of it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2009, 03:45 PM

Re: Amazing product retouching....

Different strokes for different folks, I personally didn't like the phtos I saw, the jewelery as "astrological stuff" isn't to my interest. I don't negate that it would take work to make what he does but I didn't like it.

PS I hate when you get a web page that not only opens a new window (not a tab) but forces you to have the window in a certain size.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2009, 04:02 PM

i must have slow connection
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuervo79 View Post
PS I hate when you get a web page that not only opens a new window (not a tab) but forces you to have the window in a certain size.
Oh man tell me about it.... makes me so angry.

I do like Jim Fiscus's page though http://www.fiscusphoto.com/ doesn't mess with your current window size but if you change the window size the whole website follows through so you can see a larger size, it's a little slow loading too though.... but it looks like the photos hold their quality well at a large size too, the page might have some sort of algorithm to sharpen the photo depending your window size, I'm not sure if that's what it is but that would be pretty awesome.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2009, 12:38 PM

Nice! Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lawrence View Post
If you guys haven't seen Shu Akashi's still life work - Check it out

http://www.shuakashi.com/

It's amazing, from what I heard from someone that tried to assist for him a while back - it's a lot of shooting with different lighting setups and later compositing them into one final piece, definitely worth a look if you haven't seen it yet. Website's a little intense too, you might want to click the low speck version of it.
Very interesting jewelry images and retouching. Never heard of this particular artist/photographer, but the web is full of surprises.

I have shot quite a bit of jewelry products for clients and spent many hours fixing, color correcting, enhancing, masking, cutting clipping paths, retouching, removing dust, hair, smudges, you name it, I've tweaked it. But the main goal that I shoot for is getting the cleanest, focused, accurate color of a jewelry product out of the camera and keep the enhancements and retouching as minimal as possible.

Almost weekly, I see requests on the forums here from members asking about jewelry retouching, where and how to learn it with Photoshop, how long it takes to do, how much jewelry retouchers charge, etc. Unfortunately, of all the Photoshop books, DVD's, tutorials, there is no real concrete knowledge or resources that I'm aware of online, on how to begin learning jewelry retouching. Most of the pro jewelry retouchers learned on the job, were self taught through trail and error or paid a pro to teach them a trick or two.

I would say that the RTP forums here mostly focus on about 90% of the retouching, compositing tutorials regarding portrait and hi-rez fashion ad images and the remaining 10% on product/jewelry technique. We all know that "skin tweaking" and D&B is a biggie subject here.

Finding resources on how to retouch product and hi end jewelry photography images is almost non-existent. I think there is a book by Honiball that offers some product retouching tutorials.

If anyone on the boards here know of any product retouching tutorials or jewelry resources, feel free to provide links. So far, my research has been about nil. Product retouching is more of a "secret art" that retouching people is, IMHO.

Several months ago a graphic designer/photographer sent me some hi-rez cosmetic and beauty packaging images for a retouching test. He sent me a yousendit.com link to download some examples of what he wanted the retouched images to present. There was absolute color matching, masking, cloning, cleaning, clipping paths to do and since this was a new direction for me, I didn't know where to start, except trying to duplicate the retouched examples.

I finished up and emailed back the results. Then the art director red lined the things he liked and didn't accept on the retouched images I worked on. He picked up the most subtle things I missed that the average viewer wouldn't notice, but he explained the products had to look better than real when they went to pre-press. He paid me for the test, thanked me for my work but said I was not experienced enough with product retouching to offer me the job. He had dozens of images and was paying a competitive rate for the work. I wanted the job, but true, nowhere to get resources on how to retouch product images. Ya live and learn.

katt

Last edited by SteveB2005; 09-02-2009 at 12:55 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB2005 View Post
Almost weekly, I see requests on the forums here from members asking about jewelry retouching, where and how to learn it with Photoshop, how long it takes to do, how much jewelry retouchers charge, etc. Unfortunately, of all the Photoshop books, DVD's, tutorials, there is no real concrete knowledge or resources that I'm aware of online, on how to begin learning jewelry retouching. Most of the pro jewelry retouchers learned on the job, were self taught through trail and error or paid a pro to teach them a trick or two.

I would say that the RTP forums here mostly focus on about 90% of the retouching, compositing tutorials regarding portrait and hi-rez fashion ad images and the remaining 10% on product/jewelry technique. We all know that "skin tweaking" and D&B is a biggie subject here.

Finding resources on how to retouch product and hi end jewelry photography images is almost non-existent. I think there is a book by Honiball that offers some product retouching tutorials.

I finished up and emailed back the results. Then the art director red lined the things he liked and didn't accept on the retouched images I worked on. He picked up the most subtle things I missed that the average viewer wouldn't notice, but he explained the products had to look better than real when they went to pre-press. He paid me for the test, thanked me for my work but said I was not experienced enough with product retouching to offer me the job. He had dozens of images and was paying a competitive rate for the work. I wanted the job, but true, nowhere to get resources on how to retouch product images. Ya live and learn.

katt
My inexperienced opinion regarding jewelery retouch is that it would be the same as other retouch but it has more work regarding reflections and exaggerating the facets of the encrusted jewels. Most of what you learn in skin retouch you can use in other areas in one way or another. Being a photographer as well as my own retoucher I've learned that if you don't take into account the details when taking the photograph, you end up with lots of work to correct in post.

Now I would be interested in you detailing more about the experience you had, the subtle details you didn't see that the AD pointed to, etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2009, 09:18 PM

I think that the work is good, but one caveat, i think its good due to the impat of the color and contrast, overall, the images are mediocre, but on the same note how interesting can you make a pack of cigarettes? Some of the effects I found a little gimmicky, and its heavy heavy handed retouching
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2009, 10:51 PM

Once again same thing about jewelry retouching, a good quality photography a must! In order not to rebuild but enhance the image.
Also it's good idea to be familiar with the subject in reality, to bring up the quality’s of gem, diamonds, gold or whatever it is..
In my minimalistic view jewelry doesn’t really need(unless there is specific project idea)additional beatification but need to show its own beauty,
Especially diamonds where pieces of jewelry made specifically for them…
Best regards,
www.edgarmaivel.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2009, 05:02 AM

Well all the Jewelry products are awesome at shuakashi.
I love the presentation on the Jewelry on the Website.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching