RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to extract this from background

Old 09-08-2009, 01:58 AM

Newbie Re: How to extract this from background

Hello everybody,
To extract your subject from the background is very simple, just use the quick selection brush and paint your background slowly, when you select the subject press on alt (option on Mac) kay on the keyboard and paint back on the selected part of the subject, when you finshing selecting the background press on ctrl+shift (apple key on Mac+shift) + I to inverse your selection and press on refine edge button or go to select menu/ refine edge and increase the a little bit the father value and voila. You got your subject.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2009, 02:55 AM

Re: How to extract this from background

Hi again,
I've opened your file in ps and I've done all the things I told you about plus a little bit of effort just kidding! Here I've uploaded your file it's in PSD format just delete the stupid gradian layer I made in the background and rfine a litle bit some hair and there you have it

http://www.4shared.com/file/13106304...b/Shannon.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2009, 12:20 AM
Patron

Houston, I used the calculations command to make a pretty good starter mask.
Source 1 was the Blue channel, source 2 was the Green Channel inverted. The blend mode was Subtract with the Offset = 110. I used the magnetic lasso tool and the regular lasso tool to select most of the lady leaving a narrow border around the top of the hair and filled it with white. Then used a soft brush set to overlay to paint around the outside hair line to darken the background and lighten the hair.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg htown Shannon Masked MM.jpg (162.2 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2009, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htown View Post
I think I may have really screwed up when I took this shot. I knew it was not the best background, but I was in a pinch and the client really had nowhere else in the house for me to shoot at that would give me enough room so this is what I picked. Now they are asking me to remove the background and put in something else but blond hair against white rocks is not that easy to extract, at least for me. I am really looking for someone to tell me HOW to do it, not just show that they can do it.

Here is the image
Here's an off the wall idea (thinking out loud):
of course you want to select the background in order to be able to replace it with something else. Doing that selecting the standard way – with e.g. the magic wand – is an extremely tedious and very much time consuming job. So, it would be much more convenient if you could just select everything that is out of focus (out of DoF), right?

So it would be ideal if Adobe could add focus selection capability to CS. Wonder if there could be some kind of cooperation with Helicon Focus.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2009, 03:33 PM

I used the background eraser.
Add a sky background, smudge tool to soften some parts.

I did nothing else to the lady.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blue-sky.jpg (98.9 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2009, 05:54 PM

mistermonday,

I really appreciate that information. Your work is just perfect. I did not have the same luck for some reason I am not getting the background to go black without making the hair go black too and visa versa using the brush on overlay. I even played with the opacity and it was just not working for me. Th eclient has decided she likes the one with the black background anyways so look slike I got out out of that one.

Thanks to all who contributed. Truly a great Forum. I look forward to giving back.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Patron

Houston, thanks. I am glad that things worked out with the client. Despite many years of photographing people I still find situations where I forced to shoot against backgrounds which are far from desireable. In those circumstances I try to set the subject aginst the part of the background that offers the best contrast for easier subsequent extraction in PS - even though that area may look like the least appealing.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching